Community discussions

MikroTik App

jmay
Topic Author

What is a windows Temporary IPV6 address?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:11 pm

I successfully got my first computer working online with an IPV6 address, yay for me. But now I'm a bit confused. When I go into my MT router and use torch I am seeing traffic from IP's on my /64 subnet, but none of them are the ones my computer has assigned to it. When I goto a command prompt on the computer and use IPCONFIG I am seeing 2 ipv6 addresses, the one I manually entered and another one. I also have a Temporary IPV6 address that is different from either of the first 2, but all within the same subnet. I'm not talking about the link locals.

For example, I gave my computer a X:X:a:999:1:1:1:2 and it's gateway is X:X:a:999:1:1:1:1. The 2nd address in ipconfig shows up as X:X:a:999:f193:3b7e:62fa:af50. When I use torch in the MT I see other variations of that subnet.

Whats happeneing?

jmay
Topic Author

Re: What is a windows Temporary IPV6 address?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Ok I just figured out that other computers on the network are grabbing IPV6 address so some of what I'm seeing is that. I guess I figured without a DHCPv6 server they would need to manually be setup, but obviously I still have a lot to learn. I guess this is SLAAC that I'm seeing?