Community discussions

MikroTik App

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

remote reboot = dangerous?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:47 pm

I had a thread that has now been locked describing how i can not remote reboot my RB 112 at an install bc it always freezes on starup requring a power cycle.

at another install i have 19 Wrap 2e's...each with 8602 radios...MT 2.9.27..

you CAN NOT restart any of these...THEY all will crash...i have to log in to my PoE switch and power cycle them (thank god for that poe switch)

I updated one to 2.9.35 and it still can not be rebooted....

whats the deal?? this means you can not remote upgrade or reboot Wrap Boards?

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:58 pm

You really should try using the search...the fix has been mentioned many times.

matt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:19 pm

You are not talking about having the Routerboard Package enabled to be able to reboot?

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:05 pm

This is for the WRAP:
MikroTik RouterOS
Please request the latest BIOS version from PC Engines when using RouterOS.
Set console baud rate to 9600.
WRAP does not include a keyboard controller. To ensure clean restart, please install the package
routerboard.npk
from
http://www.mikrotik.com/download.html#v2 -> all_packages.zip
The package is designed for MikroTik’s RouterBOARD, but will also work for WRAP. Source:
MikroTik technical support.
RouterBOARD, RouterOS and MikroTik are trademarks of MikroTik.
Taken from PC Engines website, the creators of WRAP. In essence you have to flash the latest BIOS and use the routerboard version of ROS. This is how our WRAP devices are set and never need power cycling, as the watchdog and reboot features work fine.

GotNet

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:53 pm

Regarding WRAPs, the x86 package includes routerboard.npk. We have found a newly flashed WRAP will hang -once- when first setup requiring a manual power cycle then no problem with reboots.

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:09 am

Regarding WRAPs, the x86 package includes routerboard.npk. We have found a newly flashed WRAP will hang -once- when first setup requiring a manual power cycle then no problem with reboots.
This could very well be an issue for the WRAP manufactures, We have many WRAP 2C, 2E and 1E-2 boards running 2.9 ROS with no install hangs. Is the power supply grunty enough? we have found that anything below 12v 3A your asking for trouble (can blank CF cards etc on reboots, forget to initialize Wireless cards etc.)

GotNet

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:35 am

This could very well be an issue for the WRAP manufactures, We have many WRAP 2C, 2E and 1E-2 boards running 2.9 ROS with no install hangs. Is the power supply grunty enough? we have found that anything below 12v 3A your asking for trouble (can blank CF cards etc on reboots, forget to initialize Wireless cards etc.)
Yeah, 18V 1.5A but never a problem later on...

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:17 am

Same here, got plenty kicking around that have no problems with field resets as long as the routerboard package is installed.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:08 am

The key indeed is having the routerboard package installed (and activated).

The first reboot during installation cannot work, because the modified reset code from the routerboard package (which is needed for correctly resetting a WRAP by software) is not active at that point.

But I have never ever seen problems rebooting a WRAP that is in service and has the routerboard package installed in several years now.

Best regards,
Christian Meis