Community discussions

MikroTik App

eriksen
just joined
Topic Author

Why Mikrotik ???

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Hello
I hope someone can help me answering the following questions?
What is Mikrotik target group? Business or consumers.
What is making Mikrotik unique, why pick Mikrotik instead of Cicso?
Do Mikrotik have any limitations?

If any, what can MicroTik do too improve?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Why Mikrotik ???

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Hello
I hope someone can help me answering the following questions?
Both.
In the event that a given Cisco and Mikrotik routerboard are suitable for the same task:

- Price
- No limitations. On routerboards, hardware is the limit, no artificial licensing limitations.
- Power draw
- Impressive price/performance/reliability/stability/features ratio, yet to be matched by any vendor.

And as a networking engineer, I absolutely love WinBox for management, whereas managing Ciscos just by CLI is a PITA. with Winbox you can choose depending on the task, if using CLI, or GUI.

It's obvious when you get the grasp of routerboard management that everything has been thought out in order to make it more efficient. There are things like Mac-Winbox, or RoMON, which make possible to connect to an completely (un/mis)configured routerboard remotely, which are priceless.

I'd summarize it as "made by network admins, for network admins".
If you mean on licensing features limitations, those are set by the device license level, which usually goes on par with the hardware capabilities. If you mean on supported features, yes there are also certain features supported by Cisco and others not supported by ROS, thought some can be achieved by using a different approach.
Mikrotik is what's considered a disruptive technology, i.e. it empowers bussinesses and users to deploy and have features only available on devices costing 10x more.

That being said, technology and market is a moving target, so there are tons of areas where Mikrotik could improve.

MSRP is usually the most important criteria, a given device/feature may not be developed due to high prices from hardware suppliers, or human resources needed in order to achieve that, while keeping the disruptive price level.

Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions, I don't belong to Mikrotik staff.

Hurdy
just joined

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 pm

I'd summarize it as "made by network admins, for network admins".
If this is the case, would'nt it be resonable to assume that network admins would prefer ROS? Then why is MikroTik experiencing decrease in sales?
If you mean on licensing features limitations, those are set by the device license level, which usually goes on par with the hardware capabilities. If you mean on supported features, yes there are also certain features supported by Cisco and others not supported by ROS, thought some can be achieved by using a different approach.
Could the fact that features that are not supported by ROS, but are supported by other vendors (like Cisco) could be a reason for people not choosing MikroTik?
If so, that would mean MikroTik products are missing essential features that are demanded by the market. Do you know what kind of features that would be?
You also mention that some features can be acheived by using a different approach. What kind of features are you thinking about?

I am aware that these are your personal opinions and that you're not a part of MikroTik staff, so I don't expect you to have all the answers. I am just looking for insights.
If anyone else have any answers I would appreciate the reply.
Last edited by Hurdy on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:29 pm

If this is the case, would'nt it be resonable to assume that network admins would prefer ROS?
I spoke for myself, cannot make a conclusive statement regarding that as I would be speaking about others' opinions.

That being said, network engineers pick equipment depending on the task to be tackled with, not from their personal preferences. Is ideal suitability and budget available what dictates that. But really doubt network admins with proper knowledge of ROS/Winbox wouldn't like ROS.

In fact most complaints you'll see in the forum emanate from the fact that those admins would like to do it with ROS, not with other equipment costing 10x more and being a PITA to manage, or simply ditch the need for additional devices.

We want ROS7, we want wireless equipment on other, not crowded bands supporting Gbps transfers at X km, we want switches/routers with X, Z or Y kind of interfaces/count or POE capabilities, or GPON equipment, because it will cover our needs in our specific scenarios at our accustomed price/performance/feature ratio, but in the end is Mikrotik decision which ones to actually implement, depending on the multiple factors I exposed on my previous post, and possibly others we are not aware of (company/market strategies, etc)
Then why is MikroTik experiencing decrease in sales?
Really? Sorry but I don't have any definitive information regarding that. Moreover sales usually don't indicate wether the most sold product is actually superior or not to the competitors'.
Could the fact that features that are not supported by ROS, but are supported by other vendors (like Cisco) could be a reason for people not choosing MikroTik?
That's obvious. If you require a feature not supported by ROS, why wouldn't you select a suitable product from Cisco or any other brand?
If so, that would mean MikroTik products are missing essential features that are demanded by the market. Do you know what kind of features that would be?
Well, then "essential" should be defined. Is on the best of Mikrotik to actually cover most demanded features as by their own definition they're a technology disruptive company where economy of scale is key.

Always keeping in mind that
MSRP is usually the most important criteria, a given device/feature may not be developed due to high prices from hardware suppliers, or human resources needed in order to achieve that, while keeping the disruptive price level.
You also mention that some features can be acheived by using a different approach. What kind of features are you thinking about?
Sorry but I'm not the one asking here, IMHO its up to you to ask regarding any specific features. Networking is a vast field...

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Then why is MikroTik experiencing decrease in sales?
Where did you get such market analysis?

As for list of features that MT supports and Cisco does not or vice versa is useless in this topic since original poster did not specify what is intended purpose of the routers.
If you want to see RouterOS major feature list you can find it in the manual:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RouterOS_features

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Any. There is a great choice for either sector.

Price, Winbox, Community, Manufacturer support (M.U.M for example), feature requests.

Only hardware, RouterOS can do virtually anything, you are hardware limited with performance at which point you buy the next model up.

If any, what can MicroTik do too improve?[/quote]
What a vague question, if there is a product that does not do what you want, maybe that? Otherwise keep going as they are.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 pm

- Consistent gui across products. Cisco's gui varies
- Winbox is a very snappy and portable exe, quite nice to work with. Some cisco products require java and a clunky software install just to do port forwarding.
- Tools: Huge set of tools including pcap capture. I wouldn't bother using Cisco's sad set of tools to troubleshoot things.
- Price: In my opinion, Cisco is an inferior product that costs 3+ times as much.
- VPN Support: I like SSTP for road warriors, IPSec for site-to-site. Cisco has a proprietary road warrior VPN, requiring software to be installed on the client machine.
- SIP ALG works. Not sure about Cisco, but other vendors like Sonicwall have broken implementations.
- Highly configurable: All routers/switches can do dual wan, queues, VPNs, etc. Cisco you have to choose the right product and upgrade later if needed.
- Scripting: go the extra mile. Things like backup daily and email config, or updating firewall rules.

Limitation for me is all Mikrotik products I've used have poor wifi performance and half the range as alternatives. Also Mikrotik doesn't offer a 48v PoE option to power phones or security cameras. I use NetGear for that.

For market sales, I don't know. I ask other I.T. guys how they feel about Cisco and they say they avoid them at all costs. 7 years ago I never saw anybody use a Mikrotik, now 3 of my vendors carry them and I'm starting to meet others who use them. Some may argue Cisco has better support. As an I.T. guy, if a factory reset doesn't fix a device, it gets scrapped. MFG support is not necessary. With Mikrotik, the forum is often responsive and there is a clear path to submit bugs should you find one.

tangram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:56 pm

I've been using Mikrotik for just a year but I wouldn't choose Cisco, or other vendors for that matter, if I find the device I need in Mikrotik products.
To be clear, if i need a 48port switch, poe switch, an ids or advanced firewall I wouldn't go Mikrotik just because they don't have these - btw Mikrotik, we need high density switches !!!

Tbh I wouldn't count on a Mikrotik to be up for 8 years - like some of the Cisco's I have - but considering price you can afford more than a couple of backups.
Also the software evolves very fast and is extremely flexible, always with new features and sometimes bugs :)
I can't remember the last time I've updated software on a running Cisco, just because they're very stable and there are no new features.

If you find a suitable product on their list, buy it and you won't regret it.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Let me ask:
What do you prefer ? Fiat or Chevrolet ?
What is the target for both of them ? Business or consumers.
What they could improve ?
What is making them unique?
Do they have any limitations?

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 am

sounds like some funny questioning. Its easy to break it down though.
The target of mikrotik are consumers and businesses but not enterprise (they cant match cisco in performance and functionality required by enterprises). There are reasons why mikrotik sales have decreased though and the main reason is in functionality.
RouterOS is a configurable router, this puts it in the same category as ubiquiti, cisco, junipter, pfsense, your typical x86 based and linux OS. The mean weakness that mikrotik has is that unlike ubiquiti or any standard OS you cant install anything else onto the router other than what mikrotik develops, this puts it behind other OS. It also lacks out with other features that consumers want like dnscrypt, easier to setup vpn server/client (i havent yet managed anything other than pptp).

So mikrotik is strong as a router, weak in flexibility, it can be a good and reliable router, but it changes with the market much slower. There still isnt a perfect routerboard yet (using GPS via usb is a poor excuse, using some internal IO would be better, and many routerboards are always lacking some sort of hardware feature i.e. RB1100AHx4 lacking usb and sfp (even 1 of each would be nice and make it perfect)). Consumer routers have been getting better and better, matching mikrotik in performance, features, reliability. Many consumer routers nowadays are linux based allowing you to do other things with them that you cant with mikrotik and that it doesnt require a network admin to configure a consumer router, they also stop failing as much and hanging less making mikrotik seem less appealing. Easy to setup vpn server/client as i mentioned is one thing including openvpn udp support (a common consumer feature now), DNScrypt, and hq_codel QoS as an example. If mikrotik had better file management (such as being able to use networked folders and better file server performance) having a torrent client could appeal to consumers. RouterOS has other problems such as the performance of it's web server cache for instance (some admins like to cache updates too). Mikrotik also has radius server but it is lacking, i myself cant figure out how to set it up, so with all the difficulties of setting up these extra networking features, what hope do consumers have to bring their networks out of the stone age and into the modern world in both features and security.

mikrotik has a lot of promise, it is a good product for both consumers and businesses but it is also lacking in both at the same time. Netduma uses mikrotik hardware and mates it with their own interface, essentially giving consumers the power of routerOS with an easy to use interface but netduma only works with few mikrotik routerboards and not with something like my CCR for example. mikrotik should consider working with netduma for a better routerOS interface and featureset.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:06 am

Hey SystemErrorMessage, I think the "enterprise / pure router crowd" will eat you alive. I mean, a torrent client? That's bad. Run while you can! ;)

But seriously, there is a lot of possible goodies that people would appreciate, but they are misssing. Torrent client was perhaps a little extreme example. Different kind of extreme is OpenVPN, where saying that RouterOS supports it borders on false advertising since it was added, because it's missing many standard features. Udp support was said more than a year ago to be in mythical v7 and still nothing. Obviously, there's no v7 yet, but that's another matter, we're waiting for v7 for sooooo long already and there are still no good signs when it might come out. Lack of extensibility can also be seen as big limitation, especially given all the stuff you can see as missing. But I guess it can be seen as good for system stability, you can hardly guarantee anything, when you let users install their own software. I'd be all for it (it's just another option to shoot yourself in foot, and there are already many others, so one more can't hurt too much), but I guess MikroTik support would see it differently.

Anyway, RouterOS is moving forward and I still like it very much and believe in bright tomorrows. But sometimes I wonder how many people actually work on new features...

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:49 am

Hey SystemErrorMessage, I think the "enterprise / pure router crowd" will eat you alive. I mean, a torrent client? That's bad. Run while you can! ;)
While im still at it, dont forget cups and xsane, SMB3, NFS, active directory, IDS software, media server (like plex for example, those CCRs can do a lot of encoding from what i heard).

Having some GPIO could be useful too for use with GPS + PPS on lower latency bus, sensors and other electronic goodies.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:55 pm

The target of mikrotik are consumers and businesses but not enterprise (they cant match cisco in performance and functionality required by enterprises)
Can you substantiate that? That hasn't been my experience, just go to any NOC and look for white routers... you'll see plenty.

Mikrotik not only can match cisco in performance for 1/3d-1/10th of the price, it is as stable when properly setup and deployed. In fact, it's already replacing Ciscos, sometimes because of the costs of upgrading them to fix security issues/bugs, but also on perfectly working ciscos just for the power draw and rack space, or for the impressive troubleshooting built-in features, Winbox management, etc.
The mean weakness that mikrotik has is that unlike ubiquiti or any standard OS you cant install anything else onto the router other than what mikrotik develops, this puts it behind other OS.
I have to digress, that's actually an advantage. A Router is a router, and has to do routing functions. BTW seen from little to no ubnt router at NOCs...

Is not its task to do IDS, torrenting, or other non-routing tasks, and being able to install 3d party software will make really troublesome to test for bugs and security. Have a look at ROS and Ubnt security track record...

Do not confuse ROS with consumer routers openwrt derivatives, differences are night and day. Been there, done that. Even openwrt-based custom images.
Easy to setup vpn server/client as i mentioned is one thing including openvpn udp support (a common consumer feature now)
ROS supports a plethora of VPN protocols: SSTP, IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, and OpenVPN TCP. Mikrotik doesn't add new features to ROS by sticking the opensource project inside ROS, they actually rewrite much of the services themselves. Why not OpenVPN UDP? grab the project and have a look at the server source... (ugly to say something "light").

OpenVPN requires installing software on customer devices, so cannot see the benefit (apart from throughput) of using OpenVPN vs native SSTP on windows or L2TP/IPsec on OsX, iOS/android...

Could be rewriten? possibly. It's a high-priority need? I don't feel so (and so probably Mikrotik)
If mikrotik had better file management (such as being able to use networked folders and better file server performance) having a torrent client could appeal to consumers.

[...]

While im still at it, dont forget cups and xsane, SMB3, NFS, active directory, IDS software, media server (like plex for example, those CCRs can do a lot of encoding from what i heard).
That's not a router duty, but a server's. Plug a NAS and those needs are covered. I'm afraid you're confusing what would be ideal for you, from what should be real router duties.
Netduma uses mikrotik hardware and mates it with their own interface, essentially giving consumers the power of routerOS with an easy to use interface but netduma only works with few mikrotik routerboards and not with something like my CCR for example. mikrotik should consider working with netduma for a better routerOS interface and featureset.
God forbids... WEB UIs are toys and a PITA to work with. Don't think a CCR is a consumer router... (and netduma seems to think the same).

Regarding non tech-savvy users, the QuickSet feature may seem somewhat limited, but is perfectly functional to cover most of home users needs.

Winbox is in fact one of the single features that net admins come to love fast, and one of the most differentiating factors of Mikrotik vs the rest.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:51 pm

sounds like some funny questioning. Its easy to break it down though.
The target of mikrotik are consumers and businesses but not enterprise (they cant match cisco in performance and functionality required by enterprises). There are reasons why mikrotik sales have decreased though and the main reason is in functionality.
I am not a sales guy so I do not know precise info about market shares and exact sales numbers, but what I know is that MikroTik is selling products more than ever before.
Of course there can be hardware and software improvements and we are researching and working on new products all the time to make most of the customers happy.

SystemErrorMessage

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Everyone will always say that the features arent routing related when they are. DNS isnt related to routing but is a crucial feature. All i did was mention what features attracted consumers. Mikrotik is losing out in wifi for business and on the consumer level they arent very attractive either for the lack of some features (like DNScrypt). Having only 16MB of flash does not help. There is a lot of money and attraction to be had from the consumer which is also one of mikrotik's target audience so dont diss features that consumers like like having a nice a web UI like what netduma does. Mikrotik can actually be cheaper and better than a gaming router but it would need a better UI for that and to at least keep up by having the latest known features (like hq_codel for QoS algorithm).

what i mean by cisco performance is, have you even seen the cisco blade servers used in T1 exchanges? Mikrotik does not design such hardware. Besides some features that mikrotik has they dont particularly do it well such as. So mikrotik doesnt have the fastest hardware but has the fastest and cheapest to their audience (the CCR1036 beats consumer routers in price/performance too).

Mikrotik's wide audience means that they will have to satisfy everyone. Enterprise will want a router on its own, consumers will want other features with the router, you can satisfy both by simply making the consumer features as a downloadable package rather than preincluded with the router.

1 of the best things i like about mikrotik is that they dont have an ad campaign like ubiquiti has which shows them ahead of others. They've released a video ad clearly saying their hardware works and is faster than cisco and a performance chart in the past comparing their edgerouters to mikrotik's PPC based routers, leaving out the details which makes the edgerouters slow.

EmmaSorensen
just joined

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:01 am

from the direct contrast, price and user-friendly, Mikro Tik take advantage
more detail compare info: https://docsbay.net/networking-with-cisco-mikrotik

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 pm

(a) What is Mikrotik target group? Business or consumers.
(b) What is making Mikrotik unique, why pick Mikrotik instead of Cicso?
(c) Do Mikrotik have any limitations?
(a) tech savvy people
(b) a superb value proposition that is -- so far -- unmatched by any other vendor/manufacturer.
(c) difficult to answer - and depends on the level of skill one has and the capability one requires.
Since MikroTik are always improving most [not all] limitations get addressed with time.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:10 pm

(c) Do Mikrotik have any limitations?
That truly is difficult to answer.
I'm managing about 5000 individual devices (covering routers, switches, wireless devices and more from MikroTik, Fortinet, Cisco, Juniper, SilverPeak, PepLink, UBNT and many more) in any given year and I'd say that about 90% of the common feature set can easily be done with MikroTik.
For me, in my day to day business I see the biggest limitations in these points - where I definitely choose other vendors:
- the lack of 100% transparent failover on routers, especially when it comes to IPsec and/or many NATed connections.
- the missing scalability of routerOS' DHCP server. I really love it, but I can't use it in many deployments b/c they do not sync leases. So I can't cluster them.
- missing GPS sync on wireless links

Limitations which aren't really limitations when looking closer at them - it'll be just the wrong platform:
- missing mpls frr
- missing DPI/application control, but I don't consider that a feature that's really needed for a router.
- missing pretty much every feature needed for using CAPsMAN in dense environments: 802.11k/r/v roaming, band steering, adjustable beacon interval, TPC, etc...
(Not to mention features like virtual cells, honeypot, etc)

And "missing" SLA and TAC services: That's simply dictated by the price. You can't expect Bentley services with a car at Fiat cost. That's part of the evaluation for the specific piece of hardware before it is deployed.

All in all I can conclude that I'm really in love with routerOS but it just isn't the ultimate solution to every task. Nor are all the others.
And I agree that it has the greatest bang-for-buck ratio in the world.

Just my two cents,
-Chris

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:24 pm

I prefer not to do the homework for the student. ;-P Perhaps I am just not as gullible as the rest of you.
This is typical for a University Level Course or typical of an analytical firm asking its stable of advisers to provide input for clients.
This is not someone configuring their own equipment and requesting assistance in doing so. Its not even a direct purchase related question.
Hey, I have a great nexium investment opportunity for you suckers!! All I need is to pry some cash out of your hands, for you to take your clothes off and bend over!

just joined

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Here my points why i choosed MT and not Cisco:

1. Price
2. Great Community
3. Many many Features
3. Not an U.S. Product (with NSA Backdoors like Cisco)

I builded two 10Gbit Networks at customer side right now and iam happy with it.
For the future i hope that Winbox will, after an IOS Version is there, be released also for macOS.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:33 pm

So you prefer Latvian (aka Russian) backdoors?
Plus don't forget all the equipment is actually assembled in China so they put in their backdoor chips as well.
Excuse me while I change my tinfoil clothes, they get very sweaty.

AntonioLON
just joined

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Plus don't forget all the equipment is actually assembled in China so they put in their backdoor chips as well.

Latvian/Russian/Chinese are prefereable. At least their intentions are clear.
Nothing worst than the backdoor from 5 Eyes Countries. English speaking are the worst. Always attached fake smile and they will stab you in the back, at the first opportunity.
Those who are attacking Huawei today already forgot how badly they behaved a few years back, even spying on their own allies. Thanks Edward for exposing that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:20 am

This is highly offensive to Latvians. We have no connection to russia and I won't even mention the backdoors absurdity.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am

This is highly offensive to Latvians. We have no connection to russia and I won't even mention the backdoors absurdity.
Someone have to look at the map :)

As far as I know, only US has been caught red handed:
https://www.certificationkits.com/nsa-u ... -pictures/
nsa1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am

This is highly offensive to Latvians. We have no connection to russia ...

Last time I checked (it was like right now), Latvia had 216km of connection to Russia with at least 7 major doors ... not counting backdoors :wink:

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:21 am

USA also has a border with Russia.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:26 am

I wasn't ware of that (I thought they only had maritime border after Алекса́ндр II Никола́евич sold Alaska to the USA) ... where is that land border located?
Last edited by mkx on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:27 am

Latvia is a small country in northern part of Europe. Latvia is part of the European Union, Eurozone, EEZ and Schengen. The Latvian language and culture is unique and share nothing in common with Russia. For a part of the 20th century, Latvia was forcefully occupied by the Soviet regime, but this makes it even less likely that somebody here would secretly want to cooperate with Russian spies.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Latvia is a small country in northern part of Europe. Latvia is part of the European Union, Eurozone, EEZ and Schengen. The Latvian language and culture is unique and share nothing in common with Russia. For a part of the 20th century, Latvia was forcefully occupied by the Soviet regime, but this makes it even less likely that somebody here would secretly want to cooperate with Russian spies.
Latvia, IMO a very beautiful country and very smart and NICE people .. My Mother was Russian and my mother Tongue is Russian -- Russians are not spies but some Russians who are members of FSB are spies but most Russians hate the FSB who are led by a large bunch of hooligans -- Russians are very nice people PERIOD. :D

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 pm

People seem extra sensitive these days. The point I was making that buying IT equipment based on brand and fear of spying is delusional.
None of you are aware of the extent of the issue or who is doing what but everybody seems to be an effing expert.
If there is a concerted effort by any entity to cyber attack you or your equipment (aka information) its because you have something valuable worth getting.
Sorry to say that most of you are small potatoes and don't register on that scale.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That being said, my initial comment still stands, the OP should do his own homework and not sponge off the gullible in this forum.
Now excuse me while I put my tin hat back on and

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As for Latvia, I am sure the people are nice and the area beautiful but if the Russians wanted to hack MT without you knowing about it, well it would just happen but you would never know. :-)
To put it another way, I have and continue to buy MT products because I think they are best value for my needs. I will continue to do so and recommend to family and friends.
If for no other reason I do so because Normis needs to live in a real apartment, instead of him and his bird living in the red car. I really like how he bought a red bird to match his red car! As he knows I keep a bottle of Canadian Rye Whiskey just in case he stops by to visit plus he can help me finish the bottle of Brennivin (Icelandic Aquavit).

just joined

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:03 pm

I knew that my last point is a great entrypoint for discussions about what the NSA can do or the Russians can do and so on.
To list the known fact, that cisco devices where modified by the NSA, as the last point declares the importance i would give him. So calm down 8)
After the point where it is officially known that also MT devices where modified by a secret service of any country I would overthink my last point and weight them agains the three others.
Let me say it this way: Would you by a (red) car if its known that the painting of the car will faster fade in the sun than other cars? I think not if all other points on your checklist are equal.
People seem extra sensitive these days. The point I was making that buying IT equipment based on brand and fear of spying is delusional.
None of you are aware of the extent of the issue or who is doing what but everybody seems to be an effing expert.
If there is a concerted effort by any entity to cyber attack you or your equipment (aka information) its because you have something valuable worth getting.
Sorry to say that most of you are small potatoes and don't register on that scale.
You're right - but why not including the known facts in descissions? We all know that IT isn't (and never will be) 100% secure. But if you are a serious IT professional, you follow the advise to secure your Hardware against known attacks.

Everybody should decide on his own what to buy, but if somebody asks me "Why Mikrotik?" he will get my points.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Latvia sure does seem to be progressive!!
https://eng.lsm.lv/article/features/fea ... a.a299351/

After doing some more poking around......... I wonder if there are any rowing or biking tours...........
https://www.travelsewhere.net/visiting-latvia/
https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best ... it-latvia/

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:42 pm

RouterOS is a configurable router, this puts it in the same category as ubiquiti, cisco, junipter, pfsense, your typical x86 based and linux OS. The mean weakness that mikrotik has is that unlike ubiquiti or any standard OS you cant install anything else onto the router other than what mikrotik develops, this puts it behind other OS.
+1.
MT might be a good at networking , but lacks functionality and flexbility regarding apps. I started several years ago to use MT for hotspots, but recognized the lack of flexibility required for "advanced" functionality. So I switched to openwrt. Now I can run PHP on it, web servers like apache or nginx, real proxies and caches like squid, advanced captive portal like coova-chilli, fast VPN like wireguard etc.
BTW: I am (also) still using certain mikrotiks to run openwrt on them, because of the good hardware.
RoS shines in respect of docs, compared to openwrt, I have to admit.