Community discussions

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

L2TP Status: terminating - config error ? bug ?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:21 am

I have some MT machines configured as L2TP client connecting the same RB3011 L2TP server
Clients configuration is the same except user/pass
Some of them lose connection and hang in "Status: terminating... - session closed" state.

No way to make them connected again, (disabled/enabled interface), they restart in that state also after a reboot.

Is this a known issue ?
What about ?

Thank you

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: L2TP Status: terminating - config error ? bug ?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 am

Investigating furher :

The issue was on SEVER side : for disconnected clients there was an error : l2tp connection rejected no IPsec encryption while it was required

despite the fact "Use IPSEC" flag is present on client configuration with correct passphrase.(please note all MT client machines have the same config)

If I delete client config and make a new identical one, it connects immediately, but after a disconnection ,server is again unconnectable because of that ipsec error.

On the server side, L2TP server is configured as Use IPSEC=required , why? because if I set Use IPSEC=yes remote clients still connect if I REMOVE the Use Ipsec flag (no IPSEC security)

Can anybody explain me the "Use IPSEC= yes/required" mechanism , and why clients connections are refused despite IPSEC is ON ??

Thank you

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Sorry for up, but, really , what's the difference between use ip sec= yes and required ??

Manual (wiki ) doesn't have an answer......

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm

"require" means that L2TP client will not be able to connect unless it is encapsulated in ipsec tunnel.

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Thank you,
I supposed that, but why it still does not connect if L2TP client has "use ipsec" flag checked with the correct ipsec passphrase ?? (like all other clients with same configuration do)