Community discussions

tabate47
Topic Author

Best DNS Settings behind another router

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 pm

When we set up mikrotik's behind Verizon or Frontier gateways, we need to put the mikrotik in the dmz. This needs to be done because you cannot bridge the gateway because it assigns ip addresses to the cable boxes. The dmz works great, but sometimes the dns servers get messed up. The default is 192.168.1.1 because that is what the gateway ip address is.

What is the best way to change the dns on the mikrotik to point it to google dns so it always hands out google dns of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Thanks.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best DNS Settings behind another router

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:37 pm

These are two different things!
- change the dns on the mikrotik to point it to google dns:
remove any "use peer DNS" setting in DHCP client or PPP profile
add the google DNS servers in IP->DNS
- to make the DHCP server hand out google DNS:
go to IP->DHCP server->networks and change it for your network

You normally would not do both. Either let the clients use Google DNS directly, or set the MikroTik DNS to point to Google DNS and let the clients use MikroTik DNS (set its LAN IP there)

tabate47
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:43 pm

I want to point the mikrotik to google dns. I think this is the better way. Do I need to use the static feature for dns and add static dns routes? If not, what would you use static for?

Should I also uncheck use peer ntp? I want to be able to have the mikrotik still show correct time.

Thanks.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:06 pm

You don't need to set static routes for your DNS!
Just define the servers in IP->DNS and make sure there are no other servers listed there.
You can use NTP from DHCP but that usually does not work, Set the NTP clients manually.