Community discussions

MikroTik App

cchance
Topic Author

Dynamic QOS PPPOE, Queue Type

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm wondering we're using a box for PPPoE using the Mikrotik-Rate-Limit for setting up the dynamic queue automatically per user, we have the queue being setup still as pfifo with 1000 buffer on CCR1036

It works fine people get limited, but we are starting to think that it might be the source of some issues with streaming irregularities. Due to packets getting dropped outside the queue length.... So my question is would just swapping the queue type to sfq or red perhaps help to improve things? or is that something i can't just "do"? Would changing the queue-type (default-small) to sfq cause customer issues, or would it only apply to new pppoe sessions opened from that point on, vs affecting already opened pfifo dynamic queues?

Also if i was to stay with pfifo, we upped our default-small buffer length to 1000, but was wondering how others tweak that, i mean the box has lots of memory available but i'm not 100% sure how the limitation or how to calculate what the limit should be for best performance