Community discussions

MikroTik App

rado3105
Topic Author

Examples of using RAW firewall?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 am

What kind of traffic do you filter using RAW. I cant find anything interesting except SSH block login users using RAW. Can you give me some idea? do you use it?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Examples of using RAW firewall?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 am

The biggest advantage of the raw table is that it happens prior to connection state tracking.
It's a good place to drop packets from a blacklist because doing so in raw prevents the connection attempts from clogging up the connection tracking table.

Another thing to do is to make certain types of traffic go through the system "untracked" - which can improve performance. For this type of traffic, you would need to make sure that the filter table permits the traffic based on some heuristic other than connection state=established,related,new,invalid (note that "untracked" is a valid choice but tread lightly before allwing all untracked traffic), and generally these rules should come early in your filter chains for performance reasons.

One basic example of a good use of the raw table would be on core routers where you don't do any kind of filtering / nat translation / etc - you may want to use connection tracking for the input/output chains, but just forward packets as quickly as possible. In raw, you could use the prerouting chain to perform an action of "notrack" for all packets whose dst-address-type=!local
This one rule would make all forwarded traffic skip the connection tracking engine, speeding things up for you, but w/o having to disable connection tracking system-wide. The input/output chains could still leverage this functionality.

berlo

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:04 am

I confirm the word of ZeroByte. We use raw table on our exchange routers to block some commond attack likes SSDP, LDAP, rate limiting DNS... We also fastrack other traffic and we can absorb some f *large* attacks.

If you need to drop some network, i suggest to using blackhole type routing

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 am

Black holing is not that effective as it seemed to be a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114664&p=568553

I tried the example of ZeroByte but did not manage to get it working and reverted to fasttracking.

berlo

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:52 am

yes i know that post, but the information on it was not correct. Read last reply of that thread.

I write here why blackholing is better:

###################
Blackholing is better because we can use it with fastpath active. Disabling route cache is not an option because this action disable fastpath

As DDoS Protected company we're tuning ccr1072 mikrotik devices that we have on IXs and we have this configuration:

- Fastpath active (i see if we disable route cache fastpath is automaticaly disabled)
- Connection tracking disabled
- syncookie active and rp filter in loose
- Most know involved ip/networks in BH route
- Traffic divert setup in place
- If attack start our monitor will divert target ip to our filters

We experienced during TCP flood > 500k pps packet loss for around first 1-2 minutes, someone else experiencing the same?

With that configuration on CCR1072 we have about 10% CPU usage with 8Gbps troughput, so the issue shouldn't be on cpu and i not understand why it happen only for 1-2 minutes (no matter the attack lengh)
###################

We also detected that you can use fasttrack with raw rules in place (see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123305&p=606841&hil ... aw#p606841 )

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Thank and it seems that the solution to have an cascade of two devices. Only with Fastpath and the BGP routing for the blackhole.

The device behind that does the rest and is freed from the global filtering.

Fasttrack and RAW works together however if I want to filter out direct address requests to a webserver then I need all traffic on port 80/443 through RAW. Fasttrack will grab traffic as soon it is established and bypass RAW.

This is the same as with using layer 7 filtering.

rado3105
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:23 pm

I want to use some ip (it is in firewall as forward chain), Can I use raw with prerouting and it will do the same?

Koman
just joined

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi.
I have a problem with RAW rule.
In the Mikrotik I mapping port 5060 on UDP protocol and I add rule on the RAW to drop all connection on this port from blacklist. But this rule not working and users try to connent throuth this port to my PhoneStation.
What am I doing wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 pm

My question is simpler.
If my INPUT CHAIN RULES ARE basically.

Allow established, related
Drop invalid
Allow admin access (from lan side)
Allow access to port 53 from LAN
Drop All Else,
Then I should not need to have any other drop rules for the input chain.

However, if I want to take the load off the CPU to drop all the crappy in bound traffic,
Wouldnt it make sense to do this in raw prerouting.

/ip filter raw
add chain=prerouting in-interface-list=wan action=drop ?????????????????

Why do people want to add the incoming address list to a list and then drop the list
Seems like an extra step that saves nothing??

Would the above drop any legitimate return traffic?
Would the above negate interfere with legitimate inbound unsolicited traffic heading for servers behind the router for example?
If so, then I see the reason to add the source address list in prerouting and then in firewall filter rules apply the drop on input chain, which would stop access to router attempts but not legit attempts to reach server.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:31 pm

@Koman: are you sure you actually need to set in-interface-list? Use of src-address-list=blacklist should be enough.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:39 pm

However, if I want to take the load off the CPU to drop all the crappy in bound traffic,
Wouldnt it make sense to do this in raw prerouting.

/ip filter raw
add chain=prerouting in-interface-list=wan action=drop ?????????????????

Very near to the top of firewall raw wiki it is written:
RAW table does not have matchers that depend on connection tracking ( like connection-state, layer7 etc.).

So if you'd use a real straight rule (as written in quoted text), nothing at all would pass, not even return packets (which otherwise count as established).

When similar rule is used, but using blacklist
Why do people want to add the incoming address list to a list and then drop the list
Seems like an extra step that saves nothing??

The idea is: if someone tries wrong door, he should be banned from all doors (even those otherwise allowed). In your particular case nothing would change as you don't offer any service to random internet host. But if you'd run your HTTPS service, DNS service for your domain, SMTP service, etc., you'd have a few (standard!) ports open to whole internet and every random internet host would be able to connect. In this case, if someone first tried winbox port and landed in blacklist, that host would not be able to connect HTTPS or DNS or ... for duration of blacklist timeout.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks MKX,
So here is what I would propose...............
Tactic1:
Drop everything in raw prerouting for ports one knows will not be used outbound or inbound by the router or users behind the router or to services behind the router (in-interface WAN).
This will take the load off the CPU to do this in filter rule.
(for example 21, 23, 8291 etc.......)

Tactic 2,
Keep everything in raw and this time simply get the source address for the standard port hackers routinely attempt to probe, (in-interface=wan)
(21,22,23, 53, etc.............)
Create list
Still in raw, then drop all from source source addresses for 5 days or something.
What is the risk, downside of this approach......

I like your logic which lends itself to Tactic 2, in that bad guys will not just try the standard ports but perhaps many more or groups etc.............. and this method blocks them from all attempts.

A starting list of ports I do not use that could be effective in identifying bad guys and banning for 5 days.
0,11,20,21,22,23,79, 113, 119, 135, 139, 194, 389,445, 500, 1002, 1025, 1026, 1027, 1028, 1029, 1030, 1720, 5000

I dont expect any unsolicited incoming traffic on ports 25, 53, 80, 110, 143 or port 443 unsolicited but I should probably do these ones in firewall filter as I do not want to catch legitimate return traffic inbound to the WAN. Agreed?

Would look like so..........(just before last rule of drop all input).
/ip firewall filter
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=DropPortProbes \
address-list-timeout=5d chain=input comment=CaptureInputProbes_tcp \
disabled=yes dst-port=25,53,80,443 in-interface-list=WAN protocol=tcp
address-list-timeout=5d chain=input comment=CaptureInputProbes_udp \
disabled=yes dst-port=25,53,80,443 in-interface-list=WAN protocol=udp

/ip firewall raw (PREROUTING)
address-list-timeout=5d chain=prerouting comment=CaptureUnusedPorts_TCP \
disabled=yes dst-port=0,11,20,21,22,23,79,113,119,135,139,194,389 \
in-interface-list=WAN protocol=tcp
address-list-timeout=5d chain=prerouting comment=CaptureUnusedPorts_TCP2 \
disabled=yes dst-port=445,500,1002,1025,1026,1027,1028,1029,1030,1720,5000 \
in-interface-list=WAN protocol=tcp
address-list-timeout=5d chain=prerouting comment=CaptureUnusedPortsUDP \
disabled=yes dst-port=0,11,20,21,22,23,79,113,119,135,139,194,389 \
in-interface-list=WAN protocol=udp
address-list-timeout=5d chain=prerouting comment=CaptureUnusedPorts_UDP2 \
disabled=yes dst-port=445,500,1002,1025,1026,1027,1028,1029,1030,1720,5000 \
in-interface-list=WAN protocol=udp
add action=drop chain=prerouting disabled=yes in-interface-list=WAN \
src-address-list=DropPortProbes

As you may have noticed I didnt have any firewall filter capture FORWARD probes on 25,53,80,443 etc.
Should I add those to the mix??

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:11 pm

If one insits on blacklisting trespassers, I think easier would like this:

• In filter section accept whatever needs to be accepred in both input (ideally none) and forward chains. But be selective (see last paragraph)
  • In filter section add pennultimate rule to add src-address to blacklist for all surviving packets ... possibly this rule would be in both input and forward chain ... and the ultimate rule drop all (possibly both input and forward chain).
    Due to memory consumption issues it's probably enough to set list member timeout to a few hours
  • add drop from blacklist in raw

Why both input and forward in the second bullet? If we DST-NAT some port and limit accessibility in nat section while accepting all nat-ed connections in filter section, then a trespasser knocking on DST-NATed port would not land in blacklist as it would get dropped in nat section (already left the filter section through accept due to dst-nat). If, on the other hand, we use filter rules to selectively allow access to those ports, trespassers not being accepted in particular forward rule would hit the "add to blacklist" filter rule ...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:48 pm

So your saying that place the same rule in FORWARD that you do in INPUT
However, you also note the drop rule....... WHY, if the remaining packets are matched to add to address list, none will hit last drop rule (now redundant)???

/ip firewall filter
{input chain}
allow admin access from lan
allow dns from lan
add all other traffic to address list name=stopProbes (timeout 6 hours)
drop all other traffic (no longer need this rule as no packet will reach here)????

{forward chain}..
allow lan to wan
allow dst-nat traffic --> connection-nat-state=dstnat
drop all other traffic (no longer need this rule as no packet will reach here)????

/ip firewall raw
prerouting chain drop source-address-list=stopProbes

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:04 pm

However, you also note the drop rule....... WHY, if the remaining packets are matched to add to address list, none will hit last drop rule (now redundant)???

You're quite right. But having both doesn't hurt while it helps to ease the mind of paranoid admins :wink:

{forward chain}..
allow lan to wan
allow dst-nat traffic --> connection-nat-state=dstnat

Nope, the red should be quite selective as I wrote in my last post. Like this:

allow dst-nat where dst-port is that and src-address is that or that
allow dst-nat where dst-port is another one and src-address is another one

Only in this case trespasser trying "that" port will hit the green rule.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Okay MKX, just wanted to be sure, that what you are saying is that instead of placing the additional security info on the NAT rule, dont make a general rule for DSTNAT in filter, get specific!!

So If I have two port forwarding streams (4 in total, tcp and udp).
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=CompanyA_TCP dst-port=\
    xx,yy,zz in-interface-list=WAN log=yes protocol=tcp \
    src-address-list=TechniciansA to-addresses=192.168.u.u
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=CompanyA_UDP dst-port=\
    xx,yy,zz in-interface-list=WAN log=yes protocol=udp \
    src-address-list=TechniciansA to-addresses=192.168.u.u
and
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=CompanyB_TCP dst-port=ttttt \
    in-interface-list=WAN log=yes protocol=tcp src-address-list=TechniciansB \
    to-addresses=192.168.v.v
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=CompanyB_UDP dst-port=tttt \
    in-interface-list=WAN log=yes protocol=udp src-address-list=TechniciansB \
    to-addresses=192.168.v.v
You are recommending the following changes.............
Obviously have to keep the nat rutes too
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=CompanyA_TCP dst-port=\
    xx,yy,zz in-interface-list=WAN log=yes protocol=tcp \
    to-addresses=192.168.u.u
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=CompanyA_UDP dst-port=\
    xx,yy,zz in-interface-list=WAN log=yes protocol=udp \
    to-addresses=192.168.u.u
and
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=CompanyB_TCP dst-port=ttttt \
    in-interface-list=WAN log=yes protocol=tcp\
    to-addresses=192.168.v.v
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment=CompanyB_UDP dst-port=tttt \
    in-interface-list=WAN log=yes protocol=udp\
    to-addresses=192.168.v.v
and create the more specific filter rules and ports and protocol are not needed.
add action=accept chain=forward comment="CompanyA DST FILTER" \
    connection-nat-state=dstnat in-interface-list=WAN \
    src-address-list=CompanyA

add action=accept chain=forward comment="CompanyB DST FILTER" \
    connection-nat-state=dstnat in-interface-list=WAN \
    src-address-list=CompanyB

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:11 pm

The rules in the last code block are too general ... for example anyone from src-address-list=CompanyB will be able to connect to CompanyA services.

I think (and might to test as well some day) that filter rules for DST-NATed services should actually look very much alike rules for routed traffic (i.e. IPv6 filter rules) as if no NAT was necessary. According to Packet flow diagram DST NAT comes at the end of prerouting, so a filter rule should be like this:
action=accept chain=forward dst-port=xx,yy,zz protocol=tcp dst-address=192.168.u.u src-address-list=CompanyA

And here goes another dose of paranoia: one should drop in raw all packets with in-interface-list=WAN and dst-address anything remotely similar to used LAN addresses. Not that this paranoia has anything to do with the above firewall filter ...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:34 pm

But now we are duplicating exactly the ip firewall nat rule??
That seems strange? I was trying to avoid duplication where possible LOL.

Okay well the quick answer is to put source address on both NAT rules and Filter rules??

BUt I have to ask......
what does the router look at first
NAT rule or
Filter rule??

Case1:
If its the NAT rule then we don't have to worry about being to particular on the filter rule if we state the source address in the NAT rule................
Then the filter rule can be less specific and we dont care about port or protocol..........

(where AuthorizedPortFowarders = all company IPs addresses (a+b))

The logic being, when the packet arrives at the NAT rule, is says okay Company A source address to port xx tcp that is going to local IP .yy FITS move on..........
Is there a firewall rule to allow this traffic........... yup there is a match
Thus when it hits the firewall it says, yup its a dst packet coming from the WAN and its coming from an authorized list. FITS move on...........
(and there is no way company B can get to Company A ports)

Case2:
If the filter rule is applied FIRST, then concur
It has to be laid out detailed on the FILTER RULE.

I am not sure there is anyway to then shorten the NAT rule??
add chain=dstnat action=dst-nat in-interface=wan
source-address-list=AuthorizedPortFowarders

Fails as the firewall rule lets the traffic through but does not perform the public to private translation role etc.......

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
After reviewing the packet flow diagrams was a tossup from the first diagram and second diagram where A is the flow to follow.
There appears to be a Firewall Choice before prerouting! and one after Bridge Forward so its not clear because firewall could be (filter, nat, mangle, raw for example).

Diagram 4 helps a bit as it insinuates that routing is done before forwarding and I am thinking that we are talking a forward filter rule!!
However diagram 5 helps in that it makes it clearer flow CHAINS, that pre-routing last step as you noted is dstnat AND filter forward is almost the last step of forward chain.

Therefore I think I am good to go with
add chain=forward action=accept in-interface=wan
connection-state=dst source-address-list=AuthorizedPortFowarders
Last edited by anav on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:44 pm

The whole shebang of the last few oosts is because we want to use blacklists extensively, don't we? So we really want techs from CompanyB trying to access server of CompanyA to hit that "add to blacklist" rule at the end ...

If you had a look at link I pasted in my previous post, you'd know by now that NAT (the address rewriting) is done first, firewall comes later.

Thinking of it: perhaps using connection-nat-state=dst-nat in firewall filter really is enough. That it really is a shortcut instead if constructing all of rules twice.
I'll let you conduct the trial :wink:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi MKX
The only thing I need to change on the filter rule is as follows

add chain=forward action=accept in-interface=wan
connection-state=dst source-address-list=AuthorizedPortFowarders

The NAT rules ensure company A goes to Company A port and associated local lan IP etc...........

Koman
just joined

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks MKX.
I tried all variants but rule is not working. I have task from my chief - block all connections on ports 5060-5080 from abroad. I tried to block one subnet 37.0.0.0 but rule not working :(
Here are my firewall settings
Regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:07 pm

I tried to block one subnet 37.0.0.0 but rule not working :(

Screenshots don't show complete story and it's hard to tell why rules are not working for you.

It'd be much easier to comment if you posted output of command /ip firewall export ... run it in command window, copy contents and post it here in [ code ] environment (you may want to obfuscate your public IP address if it's used in any of rules).

ivicask

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Thanks MKX.
I tried all variants but rule is not working. I have task from my chief - block all connections on ports 5060-5080 from abroad. I tried to block one subnet 37.0.0.0 but rule not working :(
Here are my firewall settings
Regards.
Rule actually seams working fine as u can see one block in raw filter, its not showing in IP firewall because RAW already filtered it.

Koman
just joined

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks MKX. I made export and attached file

Koman
just joined

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks ivicask.
Rule was worked once. Now users from IP addresses of the Black list tring to connect to sip port 5060 and rule not working.

ivicask

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks ivicask.
Rule was worked once. Now users from IP addresses of the Black list tring to connect to sip port 5060 and rule not working.
I think u should change all those blacklist to
for example from add address=37.0.0.0 -> address=37.0.0.0/24

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:47 pm

The one thing I noticed from the getgo is that you are blocking 5080 but you want incoming 5080 to be dstnatted, which may prove difficult to setup.
I think you have a big honking mess of rules and need to strip down and simplify after making it clear what you want to accomplish.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:04 pm

In addition to the remark by @ivicask about adding subnet masks to the addresses in blacklist I have another remark:

there are a number of dst-nat rulest (a.k.a. ports forwarded) where dst-address is used. If you only have single public address, you can use in-interface=pppoe-wan instead of using dst-address=95.a.b.c to eliminate setting public IP address there. You only have to use IP address there if you want to perform hair-pin NAT, but for that you'd have to masquerade connections towards LAN servers as well (you don't have that currently).

Koman
just joined

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks MKX, IICASK, ANAV.
I went to implement your recommendations.
Regards.

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:24 pm

The biggest advantage of the raw table is that it happens prior to connection state tracking.
It's a good place to drop packets from a blacklist because doing so in raw prevents the connection attempts from clogging up the connection tracking table.
(...)
One basic example of a good use of the raw table would be on core routers where you don't do any kind of filtering / nat translation / etc - you may want to use connection tracking for the input/output chains, but just forward packets as quickly as possible. In raw, you could use the prerouting chain to perform an action of "notrack" for all packets whose dst-address-type=!local
This one rule would make all forwarded traffic skip the connection tracking engine, speeding things up for you, but w/o having to disable connection tracking system-wide. The input/output chains could still leverage this functionality.
sorry for resurrecting an old thread.
we use in the core two ccr1036
using RAW filter to filter off some simple ports, then having fasttrack for everything else.
can you share on example of no-track in raw to !local?
I tried but I am not able to let it work.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:38 am

I guess it will be something like
/ip firewall raw
Add chain=pre-routing dst-address-type=!local action=notrack 

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:20 am

Hello i did that. I switched from a fast track traffic to everuthing that was passing through the router to a no track. The cpu went from 10 to 30. I am figuring it why

I hade a core router.
before it was doing some drop on raw table (port 53 etc).
then everything was in fasttrack.
cpu load average 15% with 3gbps traffic.

yesterday I tried as the following:
created a rule where dest !local is NO TRACK, because I didnt need it. On this core router i have one rule for srcnat for the router itself (when dns and ntp), and one rule for a subnet that is connecitng to it from outside in l2tp.
everything was untracked now except local traffic. Ok!
cpu load raised over 25/30% with the same amount of traffic.
what did i do wrong?

https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 936230.pdf
according to this presentation, if i set them to NOTRACK they go in slowpath so I get worsened performances.
since I am not able to achieve fastpath, I need to go with fasttrack, right?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:28 pm

When you disable connection tracking (with no-track), you disable fastteack as well - and fasttrack is a highly effective way of using firewall. Now with fasttrack disabled, all packets have to go through firewall filter rules ... and the constructs referring to connection-state (established, related, ...) don't work for those packets ... which might mean that now many packets have to pass multiple firewall filter evaluations to get accepted ...

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Hello. When i use no track they dont enter the conntrack. They are passed directly but i assume in slowpath

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:44 pm

They don't enter conntrack (and thus can only follow slow path), but they still enter firewall filter chains ... with limitations I described earlier which mean a lot more work for each packet passing. So even if you have one single rule in firewall filter section, the whole firewall engine will start, making no-track config somehow non-productive. The only benefit of no-tracking packets in case where there's still some firewall running is to save RAM which would otherwise be used by connection tracking table.