Community discussions

paulct
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Open access network

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi all

Do any of you operate an open access fibre network. We run an active fibre network i.e not PON.
We ideally do not want to install a device at the customer end like on a PON network e.g a ONT (that I presume adds the vlan tags for the customer side and rate limits the acount).

e.g ISP B and ISP C wants to resell over our fibre. They both have a cross connect at our DC. What methods are you using to hand off?

The only way I can think of doing it is:
1) customer router (untagged) - connects to our switch where we add the C-tag and S-tag - and then at the interconnection point we either hand off both or remove the S-tag.

Any other ways?

paulct
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Open access network

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 am

From my understanding:

ISP A plugs in their wan router (what ever brand) - we use vlan translation on our switch to give them a c-tag (customer vlan) - then qinq with a s-tag and hand off at the interconnection point as either both s-tag and c-tag or strip the s-tag and just hand over the c-tag.

I presume as long as each customer gets their own port on the switch we can use the same s-tag and c-tag per ISP for multiple clients?

What I am thinking of doing is a s-tag per building - mainly to avoid layer 2 loops at switches at a DC where maybe more than one building is interconnected, i.e no worry about carrying the same qinq tags on multiple ports.

My understanding correct?

krunical
just joined

Re: Open access network

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 am

Hi Paul

Just checking if you ever came right with this?
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
BTC: 1BTPtqpfcjEXSpxDi7fgGsfo5et21TTYiq