Community discussions

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

How do you upgrade this Mikrotik (double wireless package)

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:22 am

How do you upgrade this Mikrotik (double wireless package) ?

I have a hundred plus remote client Mikrotiks with double wireless packages.
All of this started when Mikrotik came out with a separate nv2 wireless package.

It has been hit and miss (99 percent miss) when upgrading these clients.
If they are in-house, I just factory-default reset them.
However, these are remote clients scattered all over the place. And by experience, I know there is a 99 percent chance that upgrading any of these will result in a brick that even net-install can not fix.

So, how can I remotely fix/upgrade without visiting hundreds of client sites? help help help help
HowUpgrateThisClient.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do you upgrade this Mikrotik (double wireless package)

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:24 am

Put there only individual packages you need of higher version and reboot. Do not use combined package anymore.
There is no guarantee that the client will successfully connect back when upgraded. I saw situations when such device totally lost its wlan settings, but it was it the days of changing between wireless-fp and wireless-cm2 and pure wireless was returned back. It was nightmare these days....

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:17 am

Put there only individual packages you need of higher version and reboot. Do not use combined package anymore.
There is no guarantee that the client will successfully connect back when upgraded. I saw situations when such device totally lost its wlan settings, but it was it the days of changing between wireless-fp and wireless-cm2 and pure wireless was returned back. It was nightmare these days....
Re: Do not use combined package anymore
I don't anymore, this is left over from when there were combined packages.

The problem is I am S-O-L
Hundreds of remote located clients, What ever I do, I loose the wireless communications or I brick it.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:01 am

There is combined package from manufacturing. You can do always what I wrote to get rid of it. Make a test of my suggestion to see if it helps or not.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:03 pm

I guess I am trying to locate or create a Method-Of-Procedure (MOP or SMOP) that can be used to recover/correct remote wireless clients that are in this condition.
I will try recover/correct/fix a few closer customers with this issue.

Two things I think that would greatly help correct this issue would be something like this:

1- On firmware update/reboot, have the new/updates ROS check if there is an additional wireless package and auto-remove it, and bring it back up on-line. Something that could be performed on any older version of ROS on a remote wireless client.

2- (I think this is do-able but I don't know how) : Create some type of a boot script which does something like this:
2a- Capture the current running configuration
2b- Allow the Mikrotik admin to perform a reset-to-factory-defaults (clear everything and reboot)
2c- Upon reboot, the boot script will auto-reconfigure everything and bring the remote wireless client back up on-line
2d- Have the script use all clear-text human readable & easily editable

I suspect the 2nd possible option could be do-able, but I am not good enough with scripting to this.
One side-benefit of the 2nd option could be as follows:
A tool like this could allow a Mikrotik Admin to have multiple different ready-to-go configurations on a remote wireless Mikrotik. Then a watchdog script could auto-cycle through all of the different ready-to-go configurations by auto-loading a next configuration & reboot every few minutes. The cycle could auto-repeat until the remote admin stops/aborts the process. Something like this could allow an admin to have a remote mikrotik auto-attempt to connect to different things different ways and when the remote admin sees what they want, then they could remote in and stop the process.

But what do I know, I am not scripter - but I do know how to program in BASIC very well and have used BASIC for almost 40 years now - lol

North Idaho Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:13 pm

I have a working MOP.

For the condition I have stated in the prior posts on this topic, I have a fix. This procedure worked on a dozen remote wireless client Mikrotiks.

1st - verify the condition:
In winbox - go to System-->--Packages
You will see all the packages on the remote Mikrotik.
Verify the 1st wireless package (the one that is included in the base system is disabled (greyed-out)
Verify the 2nd wireless package (at the bottom) is enabled (not greyed-out )

2nd - up-load the updated ROS into files (do not reboot - yet)
3rd - up-load the optional stand-alone wireless package info files. (same version as the ROS file in step 2 above)

4th - reboot the remote wireless client Mikrotik

5th - when the remote wireless Mikrotik comes back, check System-->--Packages and verify you now only see one wireless package

6th - in Files , delete the wireless-x.xx-npk file

7th - reboot
Recover-wireless-package.png
North Idaho Tom Jones

8th - using "New Terminal" check your /system /routerboard print shows the current-firmware -and- upgrade-firmware both match. If not , then upgrade and reboot.

(I performed this on a dozen or so remote wireless Mikrotik clients, all of them came back on-line and appear to be working properly.

I hope this helps anybody else experiencing this ...

North Idaho Tom Jones

EDIT: This procedure appears to also work on Access-Points and both sides of wireless WDS links
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 am

If you don't mind to keep the combined package further... If device supports multiple partitions you can set the script to activate the second partition and reboot to revert all actions back in case you loose the WiFi connection after the update.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 pm

I have a working MOP.

For the condition I have stated in the prior posts on this topic, I have a fix. This procedure worked on a dozen remote wireless client Mikrotiks.
Isn't that the same thing as would happen when you simply clicked "check for upgrades" then "download & install" ??
I think the router would automatically download the required packages (in this case the combined package and the wireless package)
and install them. I have several routers with one or two optional packages and they always get updated correctly.
When I do only the "download", I see the packages in the files area.

Are you claiming that this method would fail, while your method succeeds?

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:08 pm

I have a working MOP.

Isn't that the same thing as would happen when you simply clicked "check for upgrades" then "download & install" ??
I think the router would automatically download the required packages (in this case the combined package and the wireless package)
and install them. I have several routers with one or two optional packages and they always get updated correctly.
When I do only the "download", I see the packages in the files area.

Are you claiming that this method would fail, while your method succeeds?
What I am claiming is that I have bricked about 30+ Mikrotiks with the double wireless package using the Mikrotik upgrade feature.

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Before an upgrade open packages menu, click on unnecessary package, select to uninstall it, reboot device and upgrade only after that.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Subpackages from combined package cannot be unistalled individually. Mikrotik representative should know it.

I am begging for not using combined package by mikrotik for very long time, without any success.

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:31 pm

I was talking about package outside of bundle. If there is bundle + separate package, then this might happen.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Ok so when you do update on such an install, the separate wireless package is not automatically downloaded?
You can check that by doing download only, not download & install, and then checking the files section to see what it downloaded.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Before an upgrade open packages menu, click on unnecessary package, select to uninstall it, reboot device and upgrade only after that.
The above "... click on unnecessary package, select to uninstall it, reboot device ..." where I assume you are referring to the optional second wireless package to uninstall (for me) has had a history of loosing the remote client devices , then we have to go out on-site and fix.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:30 pm

The above "... click on unnecessary package, select to uninstall it, reboot device ..." where I assume you are referring to the optional second wireless package to uninstall (for me) has had a history of loosing the remote client devices , then we have to go out on-site and fix.
That is not surprising. Did you also try to enable the other wireless package (that is disabled in the above listing) before doing the reboot?
It is always tricky. Fortunately in our network we usually have access from the ethernet side as well (because it is a mesh of wireless links so most sites have more than one link).
Still, I had to talk someone through a netinstall one time...

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:37 pm

That is not surprising. Did you also try to enable the other wireless package (that is disabled in the above listing) before doing the reboot?
It is always tricky. Fortunately in our network we usually have access from the ethernet side as well (because it is a mesh of wireless links so most sites have more than one link).
Still, I had to talk someone through a netinstall one time...
I think I tried everything in every possible order I could think of with this issue on remote wireless clients. (Removing, disabling, mark for removal and mark for enable)
I have also have 4 techs experiencing the same thing , and the only 100-percent reliable method they could come up with was to be on-site and factory default and sometimes netinstall. Well ya can't do that remotely to a wireless client.

EDIT: FYI I have 30+ bricked mikrotiks which failed attempts at remote upgrades. By bricked - I am stating you can't even netinstall them. They go into a sustained constant reboot.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 pm

I have also have 4 techs experiencing the same thing , and the only 100-percent reliable method they could come up with was to be on-site and factory default and sometimes netinstall. Well ya can't do that remotely to a wireless client.
In the past I did a couple of "reset configuration" with "keep user configuration", "no default configuration" and "run after reset" pointing to a /exported file that was slightly edited.
This was on RB2011 routers and it worked fine every time. I did it to make major changes to configuration that I felt uncomfortable making step-by-step (or believed it was not possible).

However, later when I got RB951G routers and slightly newer RouterOS, it happened several times that it did not complete this. And those do not have RS232 and it has been impossible to diagnose what exactly went wrong. I saw others report the same problem. Now, I would not dare to do this on a remote router anymore...

Alizeh
just joined

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:26 am

I am having issues when uninstalling Sub packages from combined package individually. Any help?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 am

I am having issues when uninstalling Sub packages from combined package individually. Any help?
You cannot uninstall them, you can only disable them. This has the same effect.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

It does not have the same effect. You can download extra packages zip file of higher version, select only packages you need and install them. The system package replaces the combined package so there will be only those packages you want. You will spare space and be able to add or remove whatever you want in the future.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 pm

We have identified a bug and it will be fixed. The RouterOS system should ignore the packages that are already in the bundle, even if they are disabled.

Normally you should not combine the separate packages and the bundle.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Mikrotik should stop putting the combined package into the produced devices. Rather put there separate packages and all problems will vanish.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 pm

In the past I did a couple of "reset configuration" with "keep user configuration", "no default configuration" and "run after reset" pointing to a /exported file that was slightly edited.
This was on RB2011 routers and it worked fine every time. I did it to make major changes to configuration that I felt uncomfortable making step-by-step (or believed it was not possible).

However, later when I got RB951G routers and slightly newer RouterOS, it happened several times that it did not complete this. And those do not have RS232 and it has been impossible to diagnose what exactly went wrong. I saw others report the same problem. Now, I would not dare to do this on a remote router anymore...
What happened is wireless driver doesn't have enough time to load when script is run. As ROS doesn't have any wireless interface by the time the script tries to set it up, the script import stops there, failing to fully load.

Adding a
/delay 30
At the begginning of the script will allow ROS to have time to load the wireless driver so that the .rsc loaded at boot finds wireless interface and applies its config, and continues to load rest of .rsc successfully.

Same applies for devices on PTPs.
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:52 pm

What happened is wireless driver doesn't have enough time to load when script is run. As ROS doesn't have any wireless interface by the time the script tries to set it up, the script import stops there, failing to fully load.
Ok, that should explain better why I had so much trouble with it. On the RB951 I wanted to use this to copy a custom configuration to 5 different routers, I edited the varying items (IP, name, MAC) but was never able to get it to load and went to manual copy/pasting of config sections.

At that time I made a request for two things in such config imports:
1 - continue after a minor error has occurred so it at least has a chance to complete config enough to access the device and see what happened
2 - write a logfile with the lines that have been processed and the error messages that occurred

When this had been implemented, I could probably have guessed what was going wrong and implemented a workaround like you present.
However, I think RouterOS should wait starting the import until the hardware all has initialized.... preferably not some fixed time.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 pm

We have identified a bug and it will be fixed. The RouterOS system should ignore the packages that are already in the bundle, even if they are disabled.

Normally you should not combine the separate packages and the bundle.
I am looking forward to the bug-fix. I have possibly hundreds of wireless clients that need to be fixed.

North Idaho Tom Jones

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:37 pm

I too hope fix for this comes soon ... cant remove wireless package, cant upgrade to latest ros version on some of my devices.

JF

iceblink
just joined

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 am

Hi.
I've stucked with the same problem:
  • can't change version of ROS from 6.42.2 (nor upgrade, nor downgrade)
  • pair of packages are doubling (hotspot and ipv6)
  • all doubling packages are disabled and can't be enabled at all to perform instructions above.
Is workaround exist?

iceblink
just joined

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 pm

I've solved my problem:
netinstall doesn't work, when System - Routerboard - Settings - Boot Device set to Nand first (in case of correct RouterOS booting).

So, when I set Boot Device setting to "try-ethernet-once.." - I was able to flash firmware through netinstall.
Flashing with netinstall is workaround to package doubling problem and upgrade stuck problem.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 pm

netinstall doesn't work, when System - Routerboard - Settings - Boot Device set to Nand first (in case of correct RouterOS booting).
So, when I set Boot Device setting to "try-ethernet-once.." - I was able to flash firmware through netinstall.
That actually is a workaround for not using the correct procedure, but indeed it is working OK then.
I think it is the preferred setting to use all the time, because then you can netinstall without having to use the reset button so you can also recover tower-mounted devices.
At one point it appeared that it had become the new default setting (my setting of try-ethernet-once-then-nand disappeared from my exports) but it turns out that was just a bug.