Community discussions

MikroTik App

ne30n2
Topic Author

Please explain: Simple Queue and PCQ insight

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:20 am

I have read through mikrotik wiki and doesn't have full understand how simple queue and pcq works. Mayb that 's because my bad english and not native.

I am currently limiting download and upload speed of Hotspot user by specfying limit in Hotspot profile rate limit. I can see that this limit show in simple queue list. If I have 100 active users which all of these users also show in simple queue speed limit, does this mean that mikrotik process queue from 1st till 100th queue befor it reach destination?

I am currently have 450MB bandwidth from my ISP. In PCQ, in case I specify max. limit at 200MB, does this will mean that the rest of the bandwidth of 250MB will not be used at all?

Another question about PCQ is PCQ divide bandwidth between each user based on IP addressed leased or from connecting activity? Mayb my question is still unclear, lets take an example. For example, my max limit is at 200MB (no rate limit) and there is 100 IPs leased by DHCP server and authorized Hotspot user (active Hotspot user of 50 users). At that time, only 20 user currently using the internet (30 of 50 user are not using internet at that moment although login the hotspot). So is the 200mb bandwidth distributed by dividing by 100 or 50 or 20?

Thank you for your answer in advance.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Please explain: Simple Queue and PCQ insight

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:36 pm

I have read through mikrotik wiki and doesn't have full understand how simple queue and pcq works. Mayb that 's because my bad english and not native.

I am currently limiting download and upload speed of Hotspot user by specfying limit in Hotspot profile rate limit. I can see that this limit show in simple queue list. If I have 100 active users which all of these users also show in simple queue speed limit, does this mean that mikrotik process queue from 1st till 100th queue befor it reach destination?
Yes. It is optimized though.
I am currently have 450MB bandwidth from my ISP. In PCQ, in case I specify max. limit at 200MB, does this will mean that the rest of the bandwidth of 250MB will not be used at all?
Yes.
Another question about PCQ is PCQ divide bandwidth between each user based on IP addressed leased or from connecting activity? Mayb my question is still unclear, lets take an example. For example, my max limit is at 200MB (no rate limit) and there is 100 IPs leased by DHCP server and authorized Hotspot user (active Hotspot user of 50 users). At that time, only 20 user currently using the internet (30 of 50 user are not using internet at that moment although login the hotspot). So is the 200mb bandwidth distributed by dividing by 100 or 50 or 20?

Thank you for your answer in advance.
PCQ divide bandwidth based on connections and classifiers. pcq-download-default classifier by dst-address, pcq-upload-default by src-address. So only active connections by those 20 active internet users will be processed.

If you are using default pcq queue types, where rate=0, it will "equalize" those 200Mbps amongst those 20 users (10Mbps).

ne30n2
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:47 pm

ne30n2 wrote:

Yes. It is optimized though.
Thx for your reply. You have mentioned that "It is optimized". You mean that simple queue is optimized?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Yes, from ROS 6.x onwards, and specially on multi-core devices.

ne30n2
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Okay Thank you.

One more question, I'm currently have CCR1009. In case I have following situation with both Hotspot in ether5 with DHCP sever "Hotspot_DHCP", for example, and Lan (no authen) in ether6with "Lan_DHCP". I want to limit speed of Hotspot user at 30M/10M by specifying rate limit in hotspot profile, and Lan user at 20M/5M by using following script to make IP lease from "Lan_DHCP" to simple queue. In this case, in simple queue, the IP from hotspot will be marked as "D" or dynamic in the status, while IP from lan will be marked as "S" or static.
/queue simple {
    :if ($leaseBound = "1") do={
       add name=$leaseActIP target=$leaseActIP max-limit=5M/20M
    } else={
        remove [find name=$leaseActIP]
    }
}
My question is with multi core as CCR1009 will experience problem of un-optimized issue of speed or lag for some users?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:29 pm

No. CCR is a multi core device, optimized to run simple queues by spreading them along available cores.

ne30n2
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:26 pm

So with CCR although with large number of queue with dynamic and static status, say 200 queues, everything should be still optimized. There is no much different between implement simple queue nor pcq