what does REST API offer the the current doesn't?
The current API takes 3~5 minutes to setup and is very simple to use.
I disagree, that it takes 5 minutes to use, it depends on what language you are using? and with an API it shouldn't
How much can you do in the existing API that you can do in Winbox, 100%? I don't know but it will be interesting to know.
Microtik please can you answer how much you can do as an approx % in the API compared to Winbox?
1) Everyone could use it not just a minority, in almost any programming language with no effort
2) Microtik would get more customers with a good REST HTTP API
3) An easy to use API is pretty much a sales benefit nowadays, Microtik would benefit
4) I would buy more CR1072's and other kit
5) 1 example using curl, no other examples required.
6) XML and JSON are more structured, Easier for Microtik to expand its features. No Wrappers.
7) Developers using good API's are what makes tech companies large. (aka AWS), AWS would not be big without easy to use API's
An API should be easy to use (irrespective of programming language) REST HTTP is language agnostic.
I can connect to Salesforce, XEN, AZURE, Google Cloud, Dropbox, Twitter, Microsoft Cognitive services, Cisco, IBM, OpenFlow, Slack, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, most if not all SDN switches, in fact, I would be surprised if any provider with a new API did not provide a REST interface.
With REST and HTTP I could use it on Windows, Linux, IOS, Android, Windows Phone, MacOS and Webdev within 5 minutes if I so wished.
I don't see, Microsoft, IBM, Google or anyone providing an API with this kind of help files. So Microtik either wants to use an API for a few programmers or provide an API that makes it easy for customers that will actually get them more customers.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/index.php?tit ... I#Protocol
0 <= len <= 0x7F 1 len, lowest byte
0x80 <= len <= 0x3FFF 2 len | 0x8000, two lower bytes
0x4000 <= len <= 0x1FFFFF 3 len | 0xC00000, three lower bytes
0x200000 <= len <= 0xFFFFFFF 4 len | 0xE0000000
len >= 0x10000000 5 0xF0 and len as four bytes
With REST and HTTP you need one example. You do not need any examples of programming languages, 1 example using curl is sufficient.
Microtik could also put up a Developer REST API Simulator like other providers do.