Community discussions

MikroTik App

popeyedcookie
just joined
Topic Author

Random Kernel Failure in Previous boot Log

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Hello, I'm having multiple devices logging random reboots and kernel failure in previous boot happening. Nothing is tied to a specific time or model of Mikrotik. I think whats happening is Watchdog is rebooting after a kernel panic or a system lockup and that's what is logging the kernel failure. Is there any log rules I can setup to better clarify what exactly is causing these random reboots? I've tried sending the support files to Mikrotik but the suggested going to the new RouterOS, also I don't notice anything out of the ordinary in the support file. Just trying to track down what is exactly happening.

Sn1p3r
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Random Kernel Failure in Previous boot Log

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:07 pm

I got the same problem on one of mine new OmniTiks!

popeyedcookie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:58 pm

I've sent the support.rtif file twice to Mikrotik Support.
Last edited by popeyedcookie on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm

We usually respond within three weekdays. Please post ticket number which you did see in e-mail subject when you received automated reply from us.

Also note that rebooting issues can be debugged only if you contact support@mikrotik.com.

Multiple times in forum we have seen that people are saying that they have the same issue - "kernel faillure". It is simple message which says that router did reboot itself unexpectedly. Without involving support you can not determine if problem which you have is the same as other forum user might have.

popeyedcookie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks, I just got a couple replies this morning from the support team. I post back if they find out anything.

marioclep
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks, I just got a couple replies this morning from the support team. I post back if they find out anything.
Did they find a solution?
---------------------

Ing. Mario D. Clep
CTO - MKE Solutions
MikroTik Certified Trainer

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Please note that "rebooted because of kernel failure" means that router rebooted due to unexpected situation. Could be caused by software, hardware or Watchdog. Each case must be resolved separately through support. In order to reach solution as fast as possible - write to support@mikrotik.com and send latest supot file which would be generated after such crash on latest RouterOS version.

Kernel failure is not one specific crash. At the moment we are not aware about any current software caused Kernel failures. If we would receive complaint about software caused reboot, then we would fix such issue as soon as possible.

popeyedcookie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:51 pm

In my specific setup at the time I was running RouterOS 6.40.1 and using NV2 with data rates configured. After talking with the support team it turned out I needed to leave the configured data rates to default. After that change there was no more random kernel failures. Also after talking with another WISP in my area that runs Mikrotik they were running 6.35.1/ data rates configured with no problems. I also tested 6.35.1 with data rates configured in a deployment with no problems. Seemed like it was some bug in the RouterOS. I have yet to try out the new RouterOS. Hope this helps.

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Random Kernel Failure in Previous boot Log  [SOLVED]

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:19 pm

popeyedcookie - Sounds that you had one of the Kernel Failures which we have already fixed. If nv2 is used, configured rates are used and lowest rates are disabled, then this failure might have appeared. Fix was made and seems that it has helped.

Please use this as an example - also Ethernet routers might have a Kernel Failure. But they do not have wireless interface. This is clear example which shows that cause of the problem in case of Kernel Failure can not be found through forum.

popeyedcookie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks Strods,
I agree fully that the best way to figure it out is to contact Mikrotik Support. They were very helpful and even set up an exact lab on their end with my setup to find the issue.