Community discussions

MikroTik App

TechDr
just joined
Topic Author

Connecting Multiple Questions

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to setup MikroTik to bridge to local network on ether1 port.
This is my current setup:
There is a network 192.168.222.1 (No DHCP) in the building which is intended for VOIP Phones, if plugged into this switch the phones work normally
On the same network the ISP's outside network is plugged in so that we can setup static address on microtik for our own Breakout connection(IP assigned by ISP)
Current WAN IP: 41.11.x.x
The phones are not able to work if on the new DHCP network behind the WAN port.

I have assigned an additional ip address to ether1 and i am able to ping 192.168.222.1

What am I doing wrong?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Connecting Multiple Questions

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Post a diagram. Hand-drawn is fine.

tholderbaum

Re: Connecting Multiple Questions

Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to setup MikroTik to bridge to local network on ether1 port.
This is my current setup:
There is a network 192.168.222.1 (No DHCP) in the building which is intended for VOIP Phones, if plugged into this switch the phones work normally
On the same network the ISP's outside network is plugged in so that we can setup static address on microtik for our own Breakout connection(IP assigned by ISP)
Current WAN IP: 41.11.x.x
The phones are not able to work if on the new DHCP network behind the WAN port.

I have assigned an additional ip address to ether1 and i am able to ping 192.168.222.1

What am I doing wrong?
Basically for the phones to work, they need an IP, a subnet mask and a gateway address. The phones work on the switch because they can see a gateway somewhere.

To substitute the mikrotik, you will need to have the mikrotik provide the gateway address. For instance:

On the mikrotik, set Ether one to the Current WAN IP. Then on the mikrotik, make sure you can ping the internet to verify that the Mikrotik can communicate. Then create a bridge and place port ether 2 on it. Give the bridge the address of the gateway the phones are using. Finally make sure that there is a srcnat masquerade rule in IP Firewall NAT.

After you do all this, you should be able to take a phone and connect it to port ether 2 and have it work. (you mentioned that the phones are not using DHCP)