Community discussions

MikroTik App

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Trying to log into RB112 VIA DB9

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:37 am

I have tried several times to log into the router board VIA DB9 using the following settings:
9600 bits [also tried 115200 without success]
8 data bits
1 stop bit
no parity
Hardware [also tried none as defined in another MikroTik doc without success]

I am positive the cable I am using is good as it is the one I use to interface my GPS to the PC.

No matter what I try I can't log into the router.
This device RB112 I am assuming was shipped unconfigured as I have tried the defined default IP address without success also.

I would appreciate anyones suggestions in support regarding this matter.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Kindest Regards
Pat Taylor

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:55 am

It needs to be a fully wired null-modem serial cable before it will work.Many of them don't have all the pins wired up.

GotNet

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:50 am

Yes, null-modem cable or adapter, 115200 (page 7 of the manual).
Since the RBs come with ROS preinstalled you can also use WinBox via ethernet. Click on the three "dots" to see your router as there is no IP on the 10/100 port yet. Check your power jumper too. Set for "high" voltage by default.
Cool little boards; have fun!

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:57 am

Thanks for the replies.

What I actually have is two ethernet TO serial adapters with the ethernet cable in between the two adapters.

I have opened up J2 on the 112 as I am utilizing a 48 Vdc PoE to power the board.

With respect to accessing the board VIA ethernet utilizing WinBox;
How will I access WinBox.exe?
I do realize that if the board were assingned an IP I would utilize:
http://10.0.0.22/winbox/winbox.exe.

Where would I locate the 3 dots?

Thank you

Kindest Regards
'Pat Taylor

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:11 am

you can download winbox off any router. you can google for open routers :) when you run the winbox program, it will have `...` button next to the address field.

GotNet

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:34 pm

you can download winbox off any router. you can google for open routers :) when you run the winbox program, it will have `...` button next to the address field.
What's with this? http://demo2.mt.lv/winbox/winbox.exe Odd to suggest getting the file off somebody elses open router. Might even be an old version. Why not put the file with the other downloads?

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Accessing RB112 Using Serial Console

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:50 am

I have Googled for open routers but I don't seem to be able to locate WinBox.exe for download anywhere.
Why can't this application made downloadable from the MT site?
THey offer a link supposedly to WinBox.exe but that link is bad.

Another question I have: does the laptop or PC you are trying to access the RB112 have to have RouterOS installed first?

It appears that I should be able to access the non factory RB112 using Ethernet and WinBox, Serial Console & MAC-telnet even without an IP address assigned.

THe thing I have problem understanding if using ethernet and WinBox is that in the instructions you are told to use router_address in the browser, but the unit has no IP as of yet, so how do I access the router via ethernet using WinBox if the router has no IP address assigned to it?

I would greatly apporeciate it if someone could define where I am going wrong trying to simply access the router.

Thanking you in advance for your help

Kindest Regards

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:48 am

tons of them:
http://www.google.com/search?q=mikrotik ... nistration

we will put winbox on our download site. the demo router is offline for a moment, so the link doesn't work. the reason we don't have it on downloads, is that you have it on your routers already. the normal way of installing a router is this - connect to it via console/keyboard, set up and IP, download the winbox ...

GotNet

Re: Accessing RB112 Using Serial Console

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:14 pm

I have Googled for open routers but I don't seem to be able to locate WinBox.exe for download anywhere.
Why can't this application made downloadable from the MT site?
THey offer a link supposedly to WinBox.exe but that link is bad.

Another question I have: does the laptop or PC you are trying to access the RB112 have to have RouterOS installed first?

It appears that I should be able to access the non factory RB112 using Ethernet and WinBox, Serial Console & MAC-telnet even without an IP address assigned.

THe thing I have problem understanding if using ethernet and WinBox is that in the instructions you are told to use router_address in the browser, but the unit has no IP as of yet, so how do I access the router via ethernet using WinBox if the router has no IP address assigned to it?

I would greatly apporeciate it if someone could define where I am going wrong trying to simply access the router.

Thanking you in advance for your help

Kindest Regards
With a null modem adapter on a serial cable the unit can be accessed. Or if you obtain Winbox (a little exe that runs on the desktop - no install) there is a small box with 3 dots next to the connect button. Have your RB on the network via switch or hub and hit the three dots. A box will show the router with an ip of 0.0.0.0. Click and go. This connects via mac so just use it for the basic config then connect via IP.

Side note: We block port 80 input on all of our routers. Don't want the end-user or anybody else to see (and play) with that page. Also doesn't show up in Google.

Side note two: If Google is a MT recomended method then shouldn't I just post ROS files on my website? Geez.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Accessing RB112 Using Serial Console

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:22 am

Side note two: If Google is a MT recomended method then shouldn't I just post ROS files on my website? Geez.
it's not! i'm sorry if you don't want to receive useful advice in a situation where the main mirror is down for a moment.

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:16 am

Thank you all very much for your guidance... :)

I did finally access the router, up until last night I still hadn't downloaded NeighborViewer.
After downloading that I was able to access the router VIA MAC-telnet.
From there I enabled the interfaces and assigned an IP address.
Then I was able to access the router VIA web-browser and from that point I was presented with WinBox.exe download which I snagged.

I am overwhelmingly impressed with the capabilities of the RB112!!!

I have recently chose to utilize the RB112 with a CM9 100Mw a/b/g mini PCI card in conjunction with PW ROO2 19db & 24db 5Ghz compartment antennas to assemble Client Units from.
As additional info for whoever may attempt answering these Q's- I utilize an AIRLok AL330 to manage all backend access control, authorization, accounting, client account mgnt, etc.

1). When I have clients that choose to utilize IPSec VPN's... I assign the identical parameters found in the AIRLok and in addition to that the same parameters are defined in the clients connected PC(s).
Would there be any benefit to also defining these parameters in the RB112/CM9 Client Units alike?

2). Which encryption is the most preferred or better yet, the MOST SECURE- WEP or WPA?

3). To power the RB112 I utiize 48Vdc power supplys VIA PoE, in this case I should leave J2 open wouldn"t I?

4). In the previous BB responses GotNet mentioned checking my Power Jumper, if this is different from J2 which jump point number should I reset?

Thanks very much for your help

Kindest Regards
Pat Taylor