MikroTik App

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

web proxy authentication

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:44 am

hi guys,

I'm trying to set hotspot login page for my webproxy to only allow outsiders who are authenticated send traffic through my web-proxy.

It means having a hotspot login page on my web-proxy and only allow them to use this transparent proxy server when they're authenticated.

I am currently blocking all outsiders from accessing my proxy servers but I have some friends who need to access it.

Thanks

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:59 am

Hellbound,
it is not very easy to understand, what do you mean by 'It means having a hotspot login page'.
HotSpot provides embedded proxy for the clients, if you need to setup proxy that can be used for non-HotSpot clients, you have to disable transparent-proxy for HotSpot, and setup web-proxy on the routers. Access list or firewall might be used as filtering option for clients.

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:07 pm

Hellbound,
it is not very easy to understand, what do you mean by 'It means having a hotspot login page'.
HotSpot provides embedded proxy for the clients, if you need to setup proxy that can be used for non-HotSpot clients, you have to disable transparent-proxy for HotSpot, and setup web-proxy on the routers. Access list or firewall might be used as filtering option for clients.
Let me put it this way:

hotspot package in routeros authenticate users who are allowed to send/receive traffic to internet.

webproxy is caching web content for those users and it runs on local IP addresses or even external IP address.

if it is not blocked in firewall filter, your web-proxy service can be accessed from anyone outside your network (from internet) to relay traffic for spam and web surfing and etc.

what I am doing at this moment is blocking any request from outside to access my webproxy server.

what I like to do is to authenticate who is allowed to access webproxy server from outside network and who is not.

hotspot is working based on MAC and cookie, is it possible to bind hotspot to web-proxy and redirect outsiders who access webproxy server to hotspot login page, once they are authenticated they'll be redirected to their visiting page.

thanks