MikroTik App

KennyPowers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

wAP LTE kit - Poor LTE Speeds

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi All,

When comparing LTE speeds on my new wAP LTE kit 6.41rc34 using the same band and in the same position as my iPhone the wAPLTE is always slower.

Using speedtest.net with the same server and also trying horizontal and vertical position the wAP LET is always slower results below. is there any extra settings or rules I should be adding to get better results. Currently using all default settings apart from the APN and using a wired connection.

Thanks,

iPhone - 36.50 Mbps Download 17.21 Mbps Upload
wAP LTE - 16.23 Mbps Download 13.21 Mbps Upload

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: wAP LTE kit - Poor LTE Speeds

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am

Which band are you using? When you open the Status/Info on the lte1 interface what CQI value you have in the EARFCN during the speedtest?
Maybe iPhone is using Carrier Aggregation and that is why it gets more speed? What iPhone model you have?

KennyPowers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Uldis,

Both are using band 20 its an iPhone 7 Plus, I am now using wAP LTE on current build 6.40.3 no difference and the LTE package is installed.

When I first set up the wAP LTE when I got it with the factory firmware the Status/Info on the lte1 interface was there, but after I upgraded to the latest version this option has vanished?

KP

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi Uldis,

Both are using band 20 its an iPhone 7 Plus, I am now using wAP LTE on current build 6.40.3 no difference and the LTE package is installed.

When I first set up the wAP LTE when I got it with the factory firmware the Status/Info on the lte1 interface was there, but after I upgraded to the latest version this option has vanished?

KP
LTE package is not required.
What does it show on the Info/Status on the current version? You are checking that from Webfig/Winbox or console?

IPhone 7 Plus supports 3CA aggregation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... nced#Apple
So it is possible that iPhone uses CA with other band as well.
Here is one link that might help to check if the phone uses CA or not (the the menu might be different as with the new IOS 11 that menu is also redesigned):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comment ... h=852d6b43

KennyPowers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks Uldis,

I never considered the different radio in the iPhone.

The old version there was an Info tab that showed all the information you mentioned but the new version this tab is gone. I am using webfig I will send a screen shot later and also check winbox.

Thanks again

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 pm

In the Webfig you need to open lte1 interface scroll little bit down till the Status section - you will see that info.

KennyPowers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:12 pm

I just got home only to find the LTE interface is now gone, WiFi has also disabled itself. I have tried a factory reset, default config removing the sim powering off/on but I can't get it back. I also downgraded the firmware to the supplied firmware 6.39.2 still no luck.

I also noted upon powering up under health the temperate starts at 40c and steadily rises, I powered off the unit when it reached 70c this is under no load just winbox connected.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:08 am

How are you powering the board? Was it on all the time or you had it turned off?
Please make a support output file and send it to support@mikrotik.com

KennyPowers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:09 pm

It was powered off all day I just plugged it in when I got home and tried connecting via winbox. When I switched it off the previous evening it was working.

Powering the board with POE using the supplied adapter, also tried powering the board direct at DC socket.

After reset the default configuration doesn't fully load, I assume this is because it can't find the LTE interface.

I will send the file to support this evening when I get home.

Thanks

KennyPowers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 pm

File sent

Thank you