Community discussions

MikroTik App

subway
Topic Author

Intel SFP+ support?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi,

We are using a CCR1072-1G-8S+ as our core router. In the near future we will attach two 10gig links to it with a dualport Intel x710 with sr optics:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0%20optics

As Intel states the x710 card is not compatible with any other SFP+ optics, this means we need to use the Intel SFP+ modules with Mikrotik.

The question is: are the Intel SFP+ optical modules compatible with Mikrotik CCR1072-1G-8S+?

Thanks!

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Intel SFP+ support?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:46 pm

The question is: are the Intel SFP+ optical modules compatible with Mikrotik CCR1072-1G-8S+?
After you buy them, test them, and confirm they are working, the answer to your question will be yes. Otherwise, no.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi,

We are using a CCR1072-1G-8S+ as our core router. In the near future we will attach two 10gig links to it with a dualport Intel x710 with sr optics:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0%20optics

As Intel states the x710 card is not compatible with any other SFP+ optics, this means we need to use the Intel SFP+ modules with Mikrotik.

Thanks!
No, you're misunderstanding things...

On the CCR side, you will use Mikrotik's 10G SFP+. On the Server side, you will use Intel's SPF+

You are not *required* to use the same make / brand of SFP interfaces on the optic itself. Intel just states that their NETWORK CARD only works with their SFP+ modules. As long as you use Intel's SFP+ on Intel's card, you are free to use whatever SFP+ optics you want on the other side of the fiber.

subway
Topic Author

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 pm

No, you're misunderstanding things...

On the CCR side, you will use Mikrotik's 10G SFP+. On the Server side, you will use Intel's SPF+

You are not *required* to use the same make / brand of SFP interfaces on the optic itself. Intel just states that their NETWORK CARD only works with their SFP+ modules. As long as you use Intel's SFP+ on Intel's card, you are free to use whatever SFP+ optics you want on the other side of the fiber.
Ok. So for the Intel SR type, I will need to pair that with a Mikrotik S+85DLC03D correct? Both of them are 850nm multimode modules, short range.

Thanks!

Melody5781

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:41 am

You got it. You only need to use compatible module on each switch, and the two connected modules need not to be the same brand. They can work together. It is the interoperability of optical devices.

subway
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks, we will implement it like that.

inatec
just joined

Re: Intel SFP+ support? CRS317-1G-16S+RM

Wed May 02, 2018 4:34 pm

hi,

with the RouterOS 6.4x.x (? -> factory default) our Intel SFP+ FTLX8571D3BCVIT1 was working with 10Gb/s , but after an upgrade to the latest version (6.42), we have to disable the autoneg and get only 1Gb/s. Was there something removed or changed ?

cu denny

obreidbach
just joined

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi.
I've got the same problems like Denny (inatek) reported ... no link with 10G to an Intel X520 with original Intel SFP+. It only works with auto-negotiation=off and then only 1G speed. The link between the two CRS is 10G. I have two CRS326-24G-2S+RM with original Mikrotik SFP+

That's really annoying because the post of Denny is three month old and no one seems to want to answer and also there were several updates to RouterOS since this
I even cannot downgrade to any version which is working because my factory firmware is 6.41.3 and there's already the bug.

So anybody know about a solution? The 10G link to my NAS was the only reason to spend money in updating my switches ... and now: money for nothing?

Best regards
Oliver

inatec
just joined

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Oliver,

I had a longer conversation with Mikrotik support. They bought a bunch of Intel SFP modules:
We ordered a bunch of them for us to fix this compatibility issue. We are not sure if we are going to be able to fix this so soon since we added compatibility to a different module and it seems that it broke compatibility with these modules. We will try to fix this compatibility in the future, this will take a while for us.
So, it will fixed in the future, but the timerange is unknown.

cu denny

obreidbach
just joined

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Thx for your reply.
Is the situation the same when using DAC?
Because I was not sure if it was a problem with my hardware (incompatible or defect SFP+ module for my Intel Card or Problem with Cable) I ordered another SFP+ and also another Cable. With this I was able to verify, that the Intel module is also working in the CRS which leads me to the thought to use an Intel SFP+ DAC Cable. Is this possible?

Regards
Oliver

obreidbach
just joined

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Mikrotik not exactly cover itself in glory with not supporting a leading manufacturer of NIC hardware and NOT giving any OFFICIAL DECLARATION on that.
But ... Intel compatible DAC Cable auto-negotiate with 10G.

I've bought this: "10Gtek CAB-10GSFP-P2M-24"

Regards
Oliver

inatec
just joined

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:46 pm

hi,

its not so easy ... leading or not. Ubiquitiy doesn't support Intel too. They work only with 1Gb .... Also a HP switch doesn't support all modules ... (only a few)

cu denny

faisalreza
just joined

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:33 pm

use DAC cable, i preferred 10GTek or amphenol, works most of the time both in server side and mikrotik side
example items
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-SFP-DAC-Cop ... :rk:1:pf:0

Regards
FR

tracernz
just joined

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:43 am

Hi Oliver,

I had a longer conversation with Mikrotik support. They bought a bunch of Intel SFP modules:
We ordered a bunch of them for us to fix this compatibility issue. We are not sure if we are going to be able to fix this so soon since we added compatibility to a different module and it seems that it broke compatibility with these modules. We will try to fix this compatibility in the future, this will take a while for us.

cu denny
Thanks for posting that. I just purchased a CRS305-1G-4S+IN for the express purpose of connecting 3 machines with Intel X520 NICs, and I'm struggling to get a stable link. I guess I'll have to return the switch.

inatec
just joined

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:03 am

hi,

[/quote]
Thanks for posting that. I just purchased a CRS305-1G-4S+IN for the express purpose of connecting 3 machines with Intel X520 NICs, and I'm struggling to get a stable link. I guess I'll have to return the switch.
[/quote]

take a look on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141633&p=718989#p718989

Aetherone
just joined

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:53 am

Hi Oliver,

cu denny
Just to add some fuel to the dumpster fire - Intel SFP+ modules (here E10GSFPSR ) work perfectly well when coupled with non-Intel SFP+ receivers. My examples are Mellanox Connect-X 3's (working), Intel x520-sr1 (nope) and a Cisco switch (working) with an appropriate command.
use DAC cable, i preferred 10GTek or amphenol, works most of the time both in server side and mikrotik side
My recent experience here says it doesn't matter. DAC works with Mellanox, SFP+ works with Mellanox. Both fail with Intel cards.