Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

michaelcarey
Topic Author

RB912UAG-2HPnD kernel failure in previous boot

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:07 am

Hi Everybody,

I've got a roll-your-own Wireless Access point here at home based on a Routerboard RB912UAG-2HPnD (802.11b/g/n) and a recently installed R11e-5HacD miniPCI-e card for 802.11ac capabilities. It's been working very well for the last few years in 802.11b/g/n mode, very stable.

Of late, I've been noticing that's is been randomly rebooting, maybe a few times a week. The first entry in the log file after reboot is; "router was rebooted without proper shutdown" and then; "kernel failure in previous boot".

Just wondering what the cause of these reboots could be. The WiFi load on 5.8 GHz has also increased with the addition of a Google Chromecast on the living room TV. I've only been noticing the reboots after installing the Chromecast. I've also started running the Routerboard on 24V just in case the original 12V supply was dropping down a little under the extra DC load of the R11e-5HacD board.

I have read reports of the Google Chromecast causing WiFI Routers to reboot. Could this somehow be a cause? The last reboot happened while we weren't at home on the Chromecast wasn't being used so it couldn't be a definitive reason in my case.

Michael.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB912UAG-2HPnD kernel failure in previous boot

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:10 pm

michaelcarey
Topic Author

Re: RB912UAG-2HPnD kernel failure in previous boot

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 pm

An interesting read indeed!

I guess it's time to contact my Mikrotik vendor and see what happens.

Michael.