Community discussions

MikroTik App

supererwin
just joined
Topic Author

Config-backup doesn't seem to work

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:13 am

Hello!

I habe two Basebox 2 devices and multiple Grrove A-52HPn devices. My idea is to set up one Accesspoint (Basebox 2) and multiple clients (Groove). The secons Basebox is just as backup, just in case, my original Basebox gets lost or damaged somehow and I have a quick and handy backup.

In this scenario, the configuration of the devices is almost the same one each device-group (all Baseboxes get the same config and all Groove-sticks get the same config). For that reason, ym idea was to take backups of one of each device types, copy that config to all the other devices of that device-group and adapt the IP-adresses on each device -> done!

BUT: When trying to do so, the config does not get applied on the devices. For example if I do a backup on a Groove-stick, the device gets for example the IP of the device, that I took the backup from, but several other settings are not copied (for example wireless settings were not copied). I did the backup in two different ways, since the first method did not work - one via the web-interface and one via the console. Well they both did not work. I followed the explanations given here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... tem_Backup

Another point I'd like to raise is, that on the AP side (the Basebox), I need to add some additional packages as I want to forward multicast data. So if I had a config-backup of such a device, that would be working on another device, I'd still have to install additional packages on the backup-system. It'd be easier, if I could make a complete backup of the firmware and copy that to the other device, as then I wouldn't have to install the packages on each device one-by-one.

Any help would be appreciated. Regarding the backup of the config, I'm quite sure, that I just did something wrong, so pointing me to the correct direction would surely help a lot!

Thanks a whole lot in advance.

Best regards,
Dennis

sytex
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Config-backup doesn't seem to work

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:56 pm

The backup file does not contains the additional installed packages. And there is no method for what you want.

Officialy, the backup file can be restored on the same device, where it was created.
If you want to move config from one device to an another, you have to use the script file, which is created with the
/export file=filename.rsc
command.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Moreover backup should be restored to the same version of ROS as it had been taken.
Export file helps to transfer configuration but you need make many steps to verify MAC addresses, interface names etc. etc. to make transfer smooth.
Real admins use real keyboards.
To quote or not to quote, there is the topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=168474

supererwin
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 am

Thank you! The /export - /import thing helps me out.

Best regards
Dennis