Community discussions

MikroTik App

bolmsted
just joined
Topic Author

Port knocking source address list

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm

I’ve been looking through the wiki and googling but haven’t found anything on this

I’ve got port knocking working in my basement lab connected to my internal network and verified the wan side from my existing lan segment (before I move to be my primary router to the Internet)

However I wonder if I can restrict the source addresses where port knocking can occur from? Right now if I put the source networks in my portknock_allowed list it will be implicitly open

Just would like to restrict port knocking to specific addresses instead of entire public network

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Port knocking source address list

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 pm

You can add a src-address=x.x.x.x/m criteria to the first port in the port knock list.
Also, if you have more than one range of addresses, you can create an address list called e.g. knock_sources, populate it with the IP blocks you wish to permit and use src-address-list=knock_sources in the first port of the knock sequence.

Although one might make the case that this defeats the purpose of port knocking.

Port knocking is basically there to protect the presence of a protected port from scanning activities. The port, when opened via a successful knock, should still have standard security measures on it anyway. The idea of port knocking is to allow people to access a port from arbitrary sources. If you know where you want the access to come from, you may as well just leave the port open but filtered to only that set of addresses and not require the knock. Obviously, the particulars of your case may be different and require the additional measure, but in general I'd say that there's no need for a port knock sequence from only a specified list of sources.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Port nocking is that a port is opened to only the knockers address after knocking on other ports in the right sequence.

An other sequence can close the port again after usage on for that external address. This by generating a addresslist of to close addresses by an script.

I don't known how to use the sequence on only the port that is to be opened.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Actually, what you can do is make the final rule which opens the protected port do so with only a 60-second timeout. So long as your filter rules have entries which allow established,related connections, then the access to the protected port will continue working even after the knock expires.

Example:
Suppose you're protecting port 22 of the Mikrotik itself.
This is protected by the input chain

Suppose the input chain has a flow something like this:
allow established,related
allow icmp
allow LAN interfaces
port knock sequence (successful knock grants access for 60 seconds)
allow tcp/20 from hosts in the "knock_success" list
drop everything else

if some unknown remote host attempts to connect to port 22, the SYN packet will be dropped and the sender will have to wait and eventually time out the attempt.
If some friendly remote host completes the port-knock sequence, then they are added to the "knock_success" list for 60 seconds.
The knock-authorized host then connects to port tcp/22 and establishes an SSH session.
Then the knock_success times out.
After this, if the remote host attempts to make a second connection to tcp/22, this will be ignored by the router just as the first example (unknown remote host).
However, the established session will not be broken because it is allowed by the established,related rule which comes first in the input chain.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 pm

That is really interesting to use established/related and so I don't need to remove the address after disconnecting.

It is already removed after 60 seconds by the time out. Great!!

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 pm

I use port knocking for some remote access. I am doing exactly what the OP is wanting to do. My "normal" port knock is four steps. I have a short port knock that only works from one address that only takes two steps. That way when I'm at the one specific address, I can get in easier, but when not coming from that one address, I have to use the four step port knock (which does not use the same ports as the two step).
BTW, any time the final step is reached (either the two step or the four step), the router sends me an E-Mail so I know right away that the port knock has been used.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 am

I tried the established/related with an IKe2 connection however I can't get it blocked in filters. I assume the IPSEC module establish the connection by itself, and the only way to block is to use RAW filter.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 am

I tried the established/related with an IKe2 connection however I can't get it blocked in filters. I assume the IPSEC module establish the connection by itself, and the only way to block is to use RAW filter.
Not sure I understand the problem....

Do you mean that IKE2 works even when you have filter rules?
Or do you mean once established, you're unable to block the traffic?

bolmsted
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 am

What I was trying to explain (but perhaps I was in a rush just before posting) is...

1) Use port knocking 3 or 4 steps or whatever to get in to the protected device (e.g. a computer behind the Mikrotik or the Mikrotik itself)
2) Limit which hosts can actually do the port knocking to a specific set of address blocks that actually can even attempt to do the port knocking so the public internet has no chance of port knocking.

Here are my rules right now... and I can put the addresses that I want into the PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED but then it is explictly allowed regardless of port knocking. I'd just like to limit where the port knocking can actually occur so that way it can be obscure to even trusted hosts until I activate it myself. Perhaps the "Src Address" could be used but then you would have to do multiple rules for your trusted hosts.
 6    chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=22 protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1234 
15    ;;; accept WAN connections inbound on port 1234 to Mikrotik RTR destined for computer on port 22
      chain=input action=accept connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1234 log=no log-prefix="" 
16    chain=input action=accept connection-state=established 

17    chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2 address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED address-list-timeout=15m 
      in-interface=ether1 dst-port=890 log=no log-prefix="" 
18    chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1 address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2 address-list-timeout=20s 
      in-interface=ether1 dst-port=567 log=no log-prefix="" 
19    chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1 address-list-timeout=20s in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1234
      log=no log-prefix="" 

20    ;;; drop all other WAN connections inbound to MikroTik RTR on WAN port (ether1)
      chain=input action=drop in-interface=ether1 in-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" 
[admin@MikroTik] /ip firewall address-list> print
Flags: X - disabled, D - dynamic 
 #   LIST                                                   ADDRESS                                                                    CREATION-TIME        TIMEOUT             
 0  PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED                                      192.168.1.15                                                               nov/12/2017 23:26:32
 1  PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED                                      xxxx.xxx.0.0/16                                                             nov/12/2017 23:27:23
 2  PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED                                      x.y.z.0/28                                                            nov/12/2017 23:37:00
 3  PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED                                      a.b.c.0/24                                                            nov/12/2017 23:38:54
[admin@MikroTik] /ip firewall address-list> 

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Port knocking source address list  [SOLVED]

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 am

I have one comment about your port knock design. This may sound nit-picky, but following best practice and "structured" design helps make things easier to troubleshoot for both yourself and for anyone else who has to administrate a box after you.... May not be an issue if this is a home router, but good habits are always worth forming....

Your rules cause a successful knock to add the authenticated host to a dstnat rule. Otherwise, the pinhole "doesn't exist" for that source.
This is not the best way to do this.

It would be better for the dstnat to always exist w/o any criteria on who the source is, etc.
In essence, the dstnat rule means: "Port 1234 = ssh to my internal box"
This should be true for all cases.

Anyone you don't want having access to this pinhole should be filtered using the filter table. Don't get in the habit of making translations that work in some cases and not others. In your simple situation, there's no big difference except some obscure academic "best practice" concept - but imagine there were many more rules (hundreds) and the functionality of access filtering is woven between whether something nats or not / whether it's filtered or not. . . different behavior in different rules. It would be a nightmare to debug if something were to go wrong.

So make the pinhole work for all IP addresses, but then use the forward chain of the filter table to limit access to it - i.e.. the src-IP is in the "hosts-who-have-successfully-knocked" list.

And I'm not sure if I confused you, but in my original suggestion, I meant that there should be a list of "hosts-who-may-knock" which is not the same as "hosts-who-have-knocked-successfully" or the phase1, phase2, etc. lists. Just make the phase1 rule also require that the src-address be in the "hosts-who-may-knock" list. Think of it as a static permanent phase0 ;)

bolmsted
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 am

I was following this example for setting up the Port Knocking so you are basically saying the nat should look like this
chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=22 protocol=tcp in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1234 
and you rely on the filter of PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED to actually allow it to make it to the NAT rule.

I'm a unix/network admin so the feedback is welcome on this sort of thing for better design anyway even if this is to be used in a home network at this point. I'm tired of consumer gear issues and my OpenWRT/LEDE 17.01.4 on my TP-LINK TL-WDR4300(s) has been sporadically crashing lately with unknown reboot(s) every couple of days to hours sometimes. I didn't experience with Chaos Calmer 15.01 (OpenWRT) but the project has fallen behind/stalled (and security bug fixes are lacking) after the LEDE project split off (and I know they are supposed to be reforming as OpenWRT).

So I'm doing a RB750GR3 and I'll be using 1 Unifi AC-PRO in the house and 1 in the backyard shed (when we build a new one next year (run a cat6 to it)) to (hopefully) provide coverage of our 1500 sq ft 2 storey (brick exterior) house and the backyard (hopefully two of these will be enough). My understanding is the Unifi should have much better coverage than consumer routers anyway (400ft (I know unobstructed but my 45ft long house with this on the top floor should be adequate).

Right now my router/AP is in the front closet of the house by the entry door and another one (rtr as an AP only) in a corner in the master bedroom. I ran cat6 throughout the house but I never thought about 2 jacks at every room (except I do have cat6 for phone lines that could be re-purposed I suppose) nor the budget/time (I have more than 2 ports in some rooms such as my office and home theatre area but bedrooms have one coax, one telephone cat6) and one network (cat6)). However, by splitting the router and AP into the Mikrotik and Unifi I don't have to worry about where the router is located and then I can put the AP at one of the other jacks such as the book case at the top of our stairs to the 2nd floor (with a combined device I couldn't do that)

( I will likely move the modem and router to the front closet (so as to not clutter the basement patch panel wiring area). Currently the router only in the front closet with a jack from the cable modem and one back to my LAN switch. I have coax in the closet so I can put cable modem there and run a LAG to my switch or 1 to my 24 port and 1 to my 8 port switch instead of back and forth because of the AP location :) )

Anyway, I'm not sure how to incorporate "hosts-that-may-knock" into these rules along with having "hosts-who-have-knocked-successfully" and I'm open to changing to this sort of rules that make more sense than "PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED".

As I said I'd like to just limit where the port knocking can occur from and I guess you can't have 2 src-address-lists accompanying an input rule but could you do a jump or something to continue the rule matching or something?

That is, check for hosts is in "hosts-that-may-knock" and if they are in that then check to see if they are knocking successfully and if so add them to the "hosts-who-have-knocked-successfully"

I know that I'm likely going to be address space of my country at bare minimum and likely from specifically places where I work or play but I likely won't be knocking from a foreign country and if I was in a foreign country I may go through an intermediary host first.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Not sure I understand the problem....

Do you mean that IKE2 works even when you have filter rules?
Or do you mean once established, you're unable to block the traffic?
I could not block IKE2 from establishing in filter rules. I had to revert to RAW. For now, no rules for 500,4500 UDP in filters.

I have an drop filter in filters for 500,4500 however it is never triggered.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:40 pm

That happens for symmetric connections because the device is making an outbound connection attempt at the same time which puts a connection entry in the table and allows the traffic through the established/related match which usually is the first in the table.
You can prevent that by putting your block rules before that established/related rule. Of course the more you put there, the more overhead. But putting them in the RAW table has the same effect (as this is processed before the forward/input tables as well).

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:09 pm

I don't know what I did wrong yesterday evening but it works now PERFECTLY.....I am so ashamed that I did manage to implement something that simple in one go. :(

Many thanks to ZeroByte for the setup and pe1chl making me having a new run at this!!!

update: I do now know why it did not work yesterday evening.

So my RAW filter Returns the traffic and Filter Rules looks if it is New traffic with a address stated in the address-list. Nothing in the address-list then goes to the bottom and get some how automagically accepted. By what or who I don't know so I have now a selective drop on UDP at the bottom that is catching those connections that bugged me yesterday.

bolmsted
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 am

I have one comment about your port knock design. This may sound nit-picky, but following best practice and "structured" design helps make things easier to troubleshoot for both yourself and for anyone else who has to administrate a box after you.... May not be an issue if this is a home router, but good habits are always worth forming....

Your rules cause a successful knock to add the authenticated host to a dstnat rule. Otherwise, the pinhole "doesn't exist" for that source.
This is not the best way to do this.

It would be better for the dstnat to always exist w/o any criteria on who the source is, etc.
In essence, the dstnat rule means: "Port 1234 = ssh to my internal box"
This should be true for all cases.

Anyone you don't want having access to this pinhole should be filtered using the filter table. Don't get in the habit of making translations that work in some cases and not others. In your simple situation, there's no big difference except some obscure academic "best practice" concept - but imagine there were many more rules (hundreds) and the functionality of access filtering is woven between whether something nats or not / whether it's filtered or not. . . different behavior in different rules. It would be a nightmare to debug if something were to go wrong.

So make the pinhole work for all IP addresses, but then use the forward chain of the filter table to limit access to it - i.e.. the src-IP is in the "hosts-who-have-successfully-knocked" list.

And I'm not sure if I confused you, but in my original suggestion, I meant that there should be a list of "hosts-who-may-knock" which is not the same as "hosts-who-have-knocked-successfully" or the phase1, phase2, etc. lists. Just make the phase1 rule also require that the src-address be in the "hosts-who-may-knock" list. Think of it as a static permanent phase0 ;)

Well your design may work when you want to leave your pinhole ssh connectivity to the entire public internet when you attempt to do a knock sequence, it does not work when you want to restrict the access to a specific set of subnets or hosts. I have been playing with this setup and your suggestion to not have a src-address-lists on the dst-nat will in fact allow access in from unauthorized IP addresses from my testing (if you don't put a restriction on dst-nat rule)

Sorry I changed the original 1234 NAT port to 1022 so as to not confuse my port knocking ports (obfuscated from my config) of 1234, 567, 890

If I enable this rule #7 then it will allow connections from my test hosts of 192.168.1.15 and 192.168.1.11 WITHOUT PORT KNOCKING sequence in fact...
 6    chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=22 protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1022 log=no log-prefix=""

7 X  chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=22 protocol=tcp in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1022 log=no log-prefix=""
[admin@MikroTik] /ip firewall nat>
I found that if I use a jump rule I can in fact do the source based address list (hosts-who-may-knock) to then go into the port knocking test at that point to get access. I disabled my existing rules and create new rules under a chain called input-knock and jump to those based on the src-address-list.
15    chain=input action=jump jump-target=input-knock src-address-list=hosts-who-may-knock

16 X  ;;; accept WAN connections inbound on port 1022 to Mikrotik RTR destined for computer on port 22
      chain=input action=accept connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1022 log=no
      log-prefix=""

17 X  chain=input action=accept connection-state=established

18 X  chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2 address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED
      address-list-timeout=15m in-interface=ether1 dst-port=890 log=no log-prefix=""

19 X  chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1 address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2
      address-list-timeout=20s in-interface=ether1 dst-port=567 log=no log-prefix=""

20 X  chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1 address-list-timeout=20s
      in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1234 log=no log-prefix=""

21    ;;; drop all other WAN connections inbound to MikroTik RTR on WAN port (ether1)
      chain=input action=drop in-interface=ether1 in-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix=""
29    ;;; accept WAN connections inbound on port 1022 to Mikrotik RTR destined for computer on port 22
      chain=input-knock action=accept connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1022 log=no
      log-prefix=""

30    chain=input-knock action=accept connection-state=established

31    chain=input-knock action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2
      address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED address-list-timeout=15m in-interface=ether1 dst-port=890 log=no log-prefix=""

32    chain=input-knock action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1
      address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2 address-list-timeout=20s in-interface=ether1 dst-port=567 log=no log-prefix=""

33    chain=input-knock action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1 address-list-timeout=20s

34    ;;; drop all other WAN connections inbound to MikroTik RTR on WAN port (ether1)
      chain=input-knock action=drop in-interface=ether1 in-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix=""

35    chain=input-knock action=return

During my testing from 192.168.1.15 I can get in using the port knocking sequence but could not get in from my test node 192.168.1.11 until after adding to the hosts-who-may-knock address list and then following the port knocking sequence.
 #   LIST                                     ADDRESS                                                       CREATION-TIME        TIMEOUT
 0   ;;; TEST BOXES
     hosts-who-may-knock                      192.168.1.15                                                  nov/14/2017 14:39:32
 1   hosts-who-may-knock                      aaa.bbb.0.0/16                                                nov/14/2017 14:39:38
 2   hosts-who-may-knock                      xx.yyy.zzz.0/28                                               nov/14/2017 14:39:41
 3   hosts-who-may-knock                      ccc.ddd.ee.0/24                                               nov/14/2017 14:39:45
 4 D PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1                        192.168.1.15                                                  nov/14/2017 17:44:06 4s
 5 D PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2                        192.168.1.15                                                  nov/14/2017 17:44:09 6s
 6 D PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED                        192.168.1.15                                                  nov/14/2017 17:44:12 14m50s
##################
## 192.168.1.11 ##
##################
LibreELEC:~ # ssh -p 2222 me@192.168.1.111
^C
LibreELEC:~ # telnet 192.168.1.111 1234
^C
LibreELEC:~ # telnet 192.168.1.111 567
^C
LibreELEC:~ # telnet 192.168.1.111 890
^C
^C
LibreELEC:~ # exit
Connection to 192.168.1.11 closed.
Mac-mini:~

##################
## 192.168.1.15 ##
##################
Mac-mini:~ me$ ssh -p 2222 me@192.168.1.111
^C
Mac-mini:~ me$ telnet 192.168.1.111 1234
Trying 192.168.1.111...
^C
Mac-mini:~ me$ telnet 192.168.1.111 567
Trying 192.168.1.111...
^C
Mac-mini:~ me$ telnet 192.168.1.111 890
Trying 192.168.1.111...
^C
Mac-mini:~ me$ ssh -p 2222 me@192.168.1.111
Password:
Last login: Tue Nov 14 17:42:25 2017 from macmini-wifi.lan
MacBook-Pro:~ me$

Once I add 192.168.1.11 to the address list then it starts working
[admin@MikroTik] /ip firewall address-list> add address=192.168.1.11 list=hosts-who-may-knock comment=new_test_host
 #   LIST                                     ADDRESS                                                       CREATION-TIME        TIMEOUT
 0   ;;; TEST BOXES
     hosts-who-may-knock                      192.168.1.15                                                  nov/14/2017 14:39:32
 1   hosts-who-may-knock                      aaa.bbb.0.0/16                                                nov/14/2017 14:39:38
 2   hosts-who-may-knock                      xx.yyy.zzz.0/28                                               nov/14/2017 14:39:41
 3   hosts-who-may-knock                      ccc.ddd.ee.0/24                                               nov/14/2017 14:39:45
 4 D PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED                        192.168.1.15                                                  nov/14/2017 17:44:12 5m16s
 5   ;;; new_test_host
     hosts-who-may-knock                      192.168.1.11                                                  nov/14/2017 17:53:53
 0   ;;; TEST BOXES
 4 D PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED                        192.168.1.15                                                  nov/14/2017 17:44:12 3m56s
 5   ;;; new_test_host
     hosts-who-may-knock                      192.168.1.11                                                  nov/14/2017 17:53:53
 6 D PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1                        192.168.1.11                                                  nov/14/2017 17:54:51 0s
 7 D PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2                        192.168.1.11                                                  nov/14/2017 17:54:55 0s
 8 D PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED                        192.168.1.11                                                  nov/14/2017 17:55:01 14m45s
resulting in a valid connection...
##################
## 192.168.1.11 ##
##################
^C
LibreELEC:~ # telnet 192.168.1.111 1234
^C
LibreELEC:~ # telnet 192.168.1.111 567
^C
LibreELEC:~ # telnet 192.168.1.111 890
^C
Password:
Last login: Tue Nov 14 17:44:18 2017 from macmini-wifi.lan
MacBook-Pro:~ me$

I hope this helps out someone else in the future that wants to restrict the port knocking to specific network segments/hosts and not leave it open to the public internet and as I said in my testing you need to put a source address list on the dst-nat or you are allowing access directly to the NATed port. You can restrict the port knocking to known address blocks or reverse the logic and put in known blacklists or countries known to have lots of hackers, etc For me I want to allow this only from the places I work or play or my devices

I suppose I could do like one of the posters suggested and make a more complex sequence for the general internet usage possibly in the future. I'd like to know how to send the string sequence for port knocking next.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

I use my access on Android and the app I use is Port Knocker and you can automatically open the used client which is using just opened port.

Limiting the exposure of the possibility to knock can be done in RAW filters with address-list. List for counties can be generated on mikrotikconfig.com

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 am

The most likely reason your filter didn't work on the "wide open" dstnat rule is because you're using the input chain for most of the work in your port knocking sequence, and I presume that you are also trying to filter the pinhole the same way.

Since your knock-protected port is one which will be dstnat translated to an internal host, the access to this port must be done with the forward chain in the filters table, not the input chain.

So if you have an un-qualified NAT rule:
action=dstnat protocol=tcp dst-port=1234 to-address=192.168.88.2 to-port=22

this would of course NAT in all situations....

To filter it, you would use a filter rule like this:
/ip firewall filter add chain=forward protocol=tcp dst-port=22 src-address-list=knock_authorized dst-address=192.168.88.2

A few notes:
note that the dst address and port are the internal versions, not the public IP/port. This is because dstnat happens BEFORE filtering, and srcnat happens AFTER filtering
this is now a forwarded connection (throguh the router, not to the router) so it is in the forward chain
This rule should come after the accept established/related rule so that it's only checked on new connections.
If there's a rule in your forward chain which allows connection-nat-state=dstnat , then you'll need to make another rule which blocks dst=192.168.88.2 dst-port=22 and place it BEFORE the rule which allows dst-nat state connections.

bolmsted
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:27 am

Thanks but I'm still not getting the results I desire using this method.....

I put your suggested rule into rule 27 but perhaps I have it in the wrong position?

Only thing changed below is the actual ports using search/replace

I guess I should remove 16,17,18,19,20 since I use the input-knock chain via the jump rule and that seems to work using my previous posted firewall.

Many thanks.
[admin@MikroTik] /ip firewall filter> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic
 0  D ;;; special dummy rule to show fasttrack counters
      chain=forward action=passthrough

1    ;;; defconf: accept established,related,untracked
      chain=input action=accept connection-state=established,related,untracked log=no log-prefix=""

2    ;;; defconf: drop invalid
      chain=input action=drop connection-state=invalid

3 X  ;;; defconf: accept ICMP
      chain=input action=accept protocol=icmp log=no log-prefix=""

4    ;;; accept ICMP - vlan10-LAN to Mikrotik RTR
      chain=input action=accept protocol=icmp src-address=192.168.10.0/24 dst-address=192.168.10.1 in-interface=vlan10-LAN log=no log-prefix=""

5    ;;; accept ICMP - vlan20-KIDS to Mikrotik RTR
      chain=input action=accept protocol=icmp src-address=192.168.20.0/24 dst-address=192.168.20.1 in-interface=vlan20-KIDS log=no log-prefix=""

6    ;;; accept ICMP - vlan30-IoT to Mikrotik RTR
      chain=input action=accept protocol=icmp src-address=192.168.30.0/24 dst-address=192.168.30.1 in-interface=vlan30-IoT log=no log-prefix=""

7    ;;; accept ICMP - vlan50-Guest to Mikrotik RTR
      chain=input action=accept protocol=icmp src-address=192.168.50.0/24 dst-address=192.168.50.1 in-interface=vlan50-Guest log=no log-prefix=""

8    ;;; accept MGMT traffic to Mikrotik RTR
      chain=input action=accept src-address=192.168.88.0/24 dst-address=192.168.88.1 in-interface=ether2-master log=no log-prefix=""

9    ;;; TEMP: accept MGMT traffic to Mikrotik RTR from LAN
      chain=input action=accept src-address=192.168.10.0/24 dst-address=192.168.10.1 in-interface=vlan10-LAN log=no log-prefix=""

10    ;;; DROP all other inbound traffic on ether2-master, vlan10-LAN, vlan20-KIDS, vlan30-IoT, vlan50-Guest
      chain=input action=drop in-interface=ether2-master in-interface-list=LAN log=no log-prefix=""

11    chain=input action=drop in-interface=vlan10-LAN in-interface-list=vlan10_LAN log=no log-prefix=""

12    chain=input action=drop in-interface=vlan20-KIDS in-interface-list=vlan20_KIDS log=no log-prefix=""

13    chain=input action=drop in-interface=vlan30-IoT in-interface-list=vlan30_IoT log=no log-prefix=""

14    chain=input action=drop in-interface=vlan50-Guest in-interface-list=vlan50_Guest log=no log-prefix=""

15    chain=input action=jump jump-target=input-knock src-address-list=hosts-who-may-knock

16 X  ;;; accept WAN connections inbound on port 1022 to Mikrotik RTR destined for MacBookPro on port 22
      chain=input action=accept connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1022 log=no
      log-prefix=""

17 X  chain=input action=accept connection-state=established

18 X  chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2 address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED
      address-list-timeout=15m in-interface=ether1 dst-port=890 log=no log-prefix=""

19 X  chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1 address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2
      address-list-timeout=20s in-interface=ether1 dst-port=567 log=no log-prefix=""

20 X  chain=input action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1 address-list-timeout=20s

21    ;;; drop all other WAN connections inbound to MikroTik RTR on WAN port (ether1)

22 X  ;;; defconf: drop all not coming from LAN
      chain=input action=drop in-interface-list=!*2000012 log=no log-prefix=""

23    ;;; defconf: accept in ipsec policy
      chain=forward action=accept log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec

24    ;;; defconf: accept out ipsec policy
      chain=forward action=accept log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec

25    ;;; defconf: fasttrack
      chain=forward action=fasttrack-connection connection-state=established,related

26    ;;; defconf: accept established,related, untracked
      chain=forward action=accept connection-state=established,related,untracked log=no log-prefix=""

27    chain=forward protocol=tcp dst-address=192.168.88.254 src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=22

28    ;;; defconf: drop invalid
      chain=forward action=drop connection-state=invalid

29    ;;; defconf:  drop all from WAN not DSTNATed
      chain=forward action=drop connection-state=new connection-nat-state=!dstnat in-interface-list=WAN

30    ;;; accept WAN connections inbound on port 1022 to Mikrotik RTR destined for MacBookPro on port 22
      chain=input-knock action=accept connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1022 log=no
      log-prefix=""

31    chain=input-knock action=accept connection-state=established

32    chain=input-knock action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2
      address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED address-list-timeout=15m in-interface=ether1 dst-port=890 log=no log-prefix=""

33    chain=input-knock action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1
      address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_2 address-list-timeout=20s in-interface=ether1 dst-port=567 log=no log-prefix=""

34    chain=input-knock action=add-src-to-address-list connection-state=new protocol=tcp address-list=PORTKNOCK_STAGE_1 address-list-timeout=20s

35    ;;; drop all other WAN connections inbound to MikroTik RTR on WAN port (ether1)
      chain=input-knock action=drop in-interface=ether1 in-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix=""

36    chain=input-knock action=return

[admin@MikroTik] /ip firewall filter>

Disabled rule 6 and enabled rule 7....
[admin@MikroTik] /ip firewall nat> print
 0    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.10.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

1    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.20.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

2    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.30.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

3    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.50.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

4    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.88.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

5 X  ;;; defconf: masquerade
      chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

6 X  chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=22 protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1
      dst-port=1022 log=no log-prefix=""

7    chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=22 protocol=tcp in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1022 log=no log-prefix=""

bolmsted
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 am

OK I'm a bit confused now... does the Mikrotik have an implicit permit all at the end of the firewall rules that we have to explicitly deny?

I just inserted a new rule 25 to explicitly drop wan dstnat at the very end.... iptables which I imagine this firewall is based on has an implicit deny all at the end. All other commercial firewall's I've ever dealt with have an implicit deny rule at the end.

Maybe this is what has been messing me up as I was expecting an implicit deny at the end of the access list. So I need to explictly put a deny at the end of the input, output, forward and my new input-knock chains then?

18    ;;; defconf: accept in ipsec policy
      chain=forward action=accept log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec

19    ;;; defconf: accept out ipsec policy
      chain=forward action=accept log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec

20    ;;; defconf: fasttrack
      chain=forward action=fasttrack-connection connection-state=established,related

21    ;;; defconf: accept established,related, untracked
      chain=forward action=accept connection-state=established,related,untracked log=no log-prefix=""

22    chain=forward protocol=tcp dst-address=192.168.88.254 src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1 dst-port=22

23    ;;; defconf: drop invalid
      chain=forward action=drop connection-state=invalid

24    ;;; defconf:  drop all from WAN not DSTNATed
      chain=forward action=drop connection-state=new connection-nat-state=!dstnat in-interface-list=WAN

25    chain=forward action=drop connection-state=new connection-nat-state=dstnat in-interface-list=WAN

This seems to work now if I have my nat rules like this
[admin@MikroTik] /ip firewall nat> print
 0    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.10.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

1    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.20.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

2    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.30.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

3    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.50.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

4    chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.88.0/24 out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

5 X  ;;; defconf: masquerade
      chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none

6 X  chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=22 protocol=tcp src-address-list=PORTKNOCK_ALLOWED in-interface=ether1
      dst-port=1022 log=no log-prefix=""

7    chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=22 protocol=tcp in-interface=ether1 dst-port=1022 log=no log-prefix=""

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am

OK I'm a bit confused now... does the Mikrotik have an implicit permit all at the end of the firewall rules that we have to explicitly deny?
Yes, it does. When you want to deny everything that falls through the list, you need to place a deny (or drop) without any matching at the end of the list.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:20 pm

When you your deny everything gat the bottom then first activate the safe mode on the left top to avoid some cursing and pulling your hair out when you locking yourself out of the router.

When you have made your settings and all works as expected then you can deactivate safe mode again.

If you get locked out wait a while after winbox closes itself and you try to login again a few times till it succeed. Your back where you started before...don't forget to activate safe mode before trying again.

Updated it because of the explanation a post below.
Last edited by msatter on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:55 pm

If you get locked out then restart the router....power plug, and your back where you started before...don't forget to activate safe mode before trying again.
NO! When you get locked out wait for the router to notice it, it will rollback the changes. When you pull the powerplug before that, you have committed your
changes. When you happen to pull it just after the router notices, you will have done an unnecessary reboot.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 am

I just inserted a new rule 25 to explicitly drop wan dstnat at the very end.... iptables which I imagine this firewall is based on has an implicit deny all at the end. All other commercial firewall's I've ever dealt with have an implicit deny rule at the end.
Actually, iptables defaults to using accept for the default action as well. You can set this to be drop in iptables, but not in ROS, but it's easy enough to just put a default-drop rule at the end of your chain.
Sorry I forgot to explicitly mention this because after working with the platform so much, it's easy to forget what's obvious common knowledge and what might not be obvious to the newcomers.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 am

If you get locked out then restart the router....power plug, and your back where you started before...don't forget to activate safe mode before trying again.
NO! When you get locked out wait for the router to notice it, it will rollback the changes. When you pull the powerplug before that, you have committed your
changes. When you happen to pull it just after the router notices, you will have done an unnecessary reboot.
Thanks and I have changed my earlier posting.