Community discussions

MikroTik App

matamouros
just joined
Topic Author

Winbox can't connect to wAP MAC address

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi, I can't seem to have Winbox connect to my wAP's eth1 MAC address. This wAP is connected directly via ethernet to my hAP. I can access my hAP on its IP address on 192.168.88.1 (haven't tried MAC) but given that I have the wAP managed by CAPsMAN I don't know its IP, and I can't access it via the MAC address (please see screenshot below). Any pointers of why this is not working? I thought Winbox worked with layer 2, or am I wrong?
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 13.59.20.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matamouros
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Winbox can't connect to wAP MAC address

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi there, anyone would kindly help? I see loads of video tutorials with Winbox connected to a MAC address, but why is it that with me it says "ERROR: could not connect to ....."?

Please, just point me in the right direction, I'll figure out the rest.

Thanks...

effndc

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 am

Did you check your firewall on Windows? It blocks many such systems from working, I don't use Windows so I can't provide much guidance on that specifically.

You can always try to reset the wAP to system defaults by holding the reset button: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset_button

matamouros
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks effndc, I didn't think of that. I will try this week when I'm at the office and report back!

td32
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Wap by default won't let you connect through the ethernet port because it is configured as WAN.
By default it has an open wifi AP, you can connect through wifi and it will let you connect with winbox, you can modify the firewall rules this way so that you can connect from the ethernet port in the future.

matamouros
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:17 pm

*facepalm*

That's it. Thanks very much td32. I can only try this at the office in a couple of days, but I can already see that this must be the issue. Thanks very much again!