Community discussions

MikroTik App

kgoodyer
just joined
Topic Author

A + B Redundency

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

I am wishing to add a second RouterBoard to my system as a redundant backup (not trying to load balance or anything fancy). I am happy with the LAN side of the network using VRRP and think I have that all worked out. (I have about 600 hosts on 8 separate VLAN's all set up with VRRP). The issue is that on the WAN side some of my outbound requests are to hosts which have my 'public' IP address in a white list, and thus all my outbound traffic must appear to come from the same static IP address, also I have several HTTP servers behind the RouterBoards firewall that need to be accessible in both primary and backup modes of operation,

Both routers are currently connected on the WAN side to a L2 switch, which then in turn is connected to my service providers edge router. I have a full class C subnet, and only use 16 of them on my current Router, meaning I have plenty of spare ones.

Is there a simple way I can get my publicly facing WAN connection to present, either physical, logicaly, or by spoofing to indicate a single outgoing IP address for all my traffic post Masqurade / NAT.

All The Best

Keith
Best Regards

Keith Goodyer
Milton Keynes Studio Ltd

stoser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: A + B Redundency

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 am

I do not have a clear understanding of your problem. Are you saying that you want an always-on redundant router, and that both routers should have the same public facing IP address? That is to say, is your question > --- "Is there a simple way I can get my publicly facing WAN connection to present, either physical, logicaly, or by spoofing to indicate a single outgoing IP address for all my traffic post Masqurade / NAT" ---- REGARDLESS OF SOURCE ROUTER?. (I added the last four words)