Community discussions

MikroTik App

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

netinstall doesnt work

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:24 am

FOr a number of weeks on and off we've been trying to get a CCR1036-8G-2S+EM reflashed. It came back with my friend from Austrailia last year and he was able to get some 6.41.x on it but could not make it boot. I have been trying to use netinstall to put 6.39.3, 6.40.4 ot 6.40.5 on it.

I have set my PC statically to 192.168.88.10/24. We have tried with a direct ethernet cable to router port 8 and through a 100mb switch and get same results.

Netinstall comes up and I can see all the packages but I can NOT select any.

I haven't used netinstall in years but it shouldnt be this difficult to get going. This is W10/64 bit with 32gb ram. I have tried compatibility settings going back to XP SP2 with same results

Whats wrong please?

Thanks leon

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: netinstall doesnt work

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 am

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Do you have a console cable? You can attach it to the CCR and see in some serial console program, what is exactly happening when you boot the CCR.
I hope you did read the manual on how to boot into Netinstall mode?

- unplug power
- hold down reset button
- keep an eye on the Netinstall utility
- plug in power cable, keep holding button!
- wait until Netinstall discovers the device in the list
- let go of the button

Then you need to click on the device in the list. Only THEN you can select packages to install. They need to be TILE arch packages.

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 am

hi normis...yes to console cable. I sent the routerboard info from putty to the support@mikrotik email I sent last night along with a screen shot.

I just tried it and netinstall never sees the ccr. I have a linksys 1g switch between my dell laptop and port 8 of the ccr. The dell does not get a green led but I am seeing the data light blink on the switch. I also have a 100m switch and will retry it. I have my wireless interface enabled as well to be able to get outside.

running W10 64bit 32gb ram

any more ideas?

Leon

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 am

hi normis...yes to console cable. I sent the routerboard info from putty to the support@mikrotik email I sent last night along with a screen shot.

I just tried it and netinstall never sees the ccr. I have a linksys 1g switch between my dell laptop and port 8 of the ccr. The dell does not get a green led but I am seeing the data light blink on the switch. I also have a 100m switch and will retry it. I have my wireless interface enabled as well to be able to get outside.

running W10 64bit 32gb ram

any more ideas?

Leon

just tried multiple switches and even direct as well as wifi on and off and still zip

RouterBOOT backup booter 3.09

CCR1036-8G-2S+

CPU frequency: 1200 MHz
Memory size: 16384 MiB
NAND size: 1024 MiB

Press any key within 5 seconds to enter setup.....
trying bootp protocol........................................................................................................................................................................................................... failed
kernel loading failed

loading kernel from nand... OK
setting up elf image... OK
jumping to kernel code
Starting...

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 am

netinstall never detected the router

have green on CCR ethernet connect and blinking yellow on dell both set to auto negotiation. Dell has 1g interface

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 am

Try disabling wireless and any other network interfaces except for the one connected to the switch. And try the net install again. Maybe binding to wrong interface.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:23 am

tried that disabled all interfaces except the one ethernet zip

very frustrating

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:06 pm

@normis -- any other suggestions? I will be home over christmas week and will bring this CCR home and attempt a netinstall on my lenovo desktop which only has 8gb ram and I've used it to netinstall years ago

leon

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Is there any other service running on PC which may block the port of Netinstall (I can't recall on which port Netinstall runs)? I have had this issue with Acronis Snap Deploy before.
I have seen scenarios, not with netinstall but other cases, when auto-negotiation does not work as expected, so trying to set the ethernet speed manually might help