Community discussions

MikroTik App

WojtusW5
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB 3011 Multicast problem

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi, I have a new MikroTik RB3011UiAS-RM router a few days ago i I have a problem witch multicast traffic.
This router (the latest soft current) that gets two WAN tags from the WAN's one Internet IPTV (multicast). The internet connection is symmetrical 200/200 (the IPTV band is not included in them). Intenret works without problems. The problem is with IPTV (transmission to STB is via bridge where vlan from WAN is added and ports to which STB is connected as untag). When Internet connection is used in a large part IPTV begins to stutter. CPU usage is then 55% so nothing indicates that the router is clogging up.
I am asking for help, suggestions for solving the problem.

blajah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB 3011 Multicast problem

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi,
try latest RC
"*bridge - fixed multicast forwarding (introduced in v6.40rc36);"

WojtusW5
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi,
try latest RC
"*bridge - fixed multicast forwarding (introduced in v6.40rc36);"
Thank you, but is there any tweaking for the current stable version ?

blajah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Guess not :(

Kindis

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:30 pm

I have both IP TV and Internet from the same provider. I do however not handle IP TV in the router at all. I do all the VLAN and so on in my switch. So IP TV never hits a Mikrotik device at home only my switches. Found this to work better. My switches also support multicast very well and I have very little issues with them. Also if any of my Mikrotik devices should hit CPU 100 % this won't affect TV at all = happy family :-)
Won't solve you issues but you should be able to replicate this in your 3011 unless you use wireless.

WojtusW5
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:44 pm

I have both IP TV and Internet from the same provider. I do however not handle IP TV in the router at all. I do all the VLAN and so on in my switch. So IP TV never hits a Mikrotik device at home only my switches. Found this to work better. My switches also support multicast very well and I have very little issues with them. Also if any of my Mikrotik devices should hit CPU 100 % this won't affect TV at all = happy family :-)
Won't solve you issues but you should be able to replicate this in your 3011 unless you use wireless.
Thanks to I thought about such a solution but I think I will wait for RouterOS 6.41 - maybe they will "new bridge implementation" improve performance.

hoblpank
just joined

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:31 am

Hello

I have been facing the exact same problem on this device and breaking my head for days now. Bought this router to get rid of my modem and one device. I am getting 2 vlans from my isp on sfp1. I am bridging my mc vlan to a port where i have my stb connected. Everything works until i start using download a little more, iptv starts to stutter. Exactly the same as OP described ... First i thought this was a bw and qos problem but then i realized the same happens on a 100M device and my wan is 1G.

Did anyone figure this out or found a solution ?

I have been trying the latest stable and RC and i am really disappointed now after finding this thread, please help :(

WojtusW5
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi, I would have to connect WAN to the ethernet port. Then you will use hw-offload for vlan IPTV, but you have to remember about the lack of igmp-snooping because of this configuration. Unfortunately, at the SFP port you will not do it - it is plugged directly into the CPU and not to the chip-switch.

hoblpank
just joined

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks, to connect wan to ether1 i'll have to reconnect my modem and then i can run iptv off it anyways. Instead of getting rid of one device i am adding one :S
Guess i'll just have to wait for ros7 if it will ever arrive and fix the problem ??

What a disappointment :/

hoblpank
just joined

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:45 am

Connected my wan to ethernet, used hw offloading, even tried eoip with the same vlan from a remote side and same result. When i started to download 200mbit + it began to stutter. Maybe you don't notice if your wan/lan is 10mbit or so..

I gave up. MC just doesn't work properly on MT ;) My modem is back to handling multicast.

Thanks all

hoblpank
just joined

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:12 am

Hi

Anyone knows when this is coming to ARM ?
I think that's the problem we are facing with this router.

crs317 - fixed known multicast flooding to the CPU;