Community discussions

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Bad Speeds on CRS125

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Hello All! I have a question and I am hoping I am missing something...

I have a WAN connection that has 500x100Mbps. I can plug in laptop and get around that. I connect a PC directly to a Mikrotik CRS125 and I only get around 120x100Mbps. I have disabled all firewall rules and verified there are no Simple queues getting hit. I have verified it is negotiating at gig full duplex on both sides. When running a speedtest from the router I see even lower speeds. All interfaces are setup with a single interface as the switch master port. The master port is neither the WAN or the port the PC is connected to.

Thoughts?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bad Speeds on CRS125  [SOLVED]

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Does it mean the switch switches slowly? I doubt that. More likely you use it as router. In this case think about switching the fasttrack on if you do natting with connection tracking. Also check its nominal routing performance on product page and imagine it is a switch with some routing capabilities via the cpu standing on side of the switch.

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Bad Speeds on CRS125

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:48 pm

I am using it as a router, but I would assume that it should get at least better than what I am seeing.

IPANetEngineer
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm

The CPU of the CRS is very underpowered and struggles to reach anything close to a gig. This is a very common complaint and scenario on the CRS. You really need an RB3011, 100AHx2 or 4 or CCR1009 for the routing part.
Global - MikroTik Support & Consulting - English | Francais | Español | Portuguese +1 855-645-7684
https://iparchitechs.com/services/mikro ... l-support/ mikrotiksupport@iparchitechs.com

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Does it mean the switch switches slowly? I doubt that. More likely you use it as router. In this case think about switching the fasttrack on if you do natting with connection tracking. Also check its nominal routing performance on product page and imagine it is a switch with some routing capabilities via the cpu standing on side of the switch.
Okay, so I enabled fasttrack via Mikrotik's instuctions and it jumped up to like 350x100, which is much better. Also to answer your first question, switching is providing expected speeds.Does fasttrack it just mark the connection and bypass additional processing?

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 pm

The CPU of the CRS is very underpowered and struggles to reach anything close to a gig. This is a very common complaint and scenario on the CRS. You really need an RB3011, 100AHx2 or 4 or CCR1009 for the routing part.
Thank you!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Okay, so I enabled fasttrack via Mikrotik's instuctions and it jumped up to like 350x100, which is much better. Also to answer your first question, switching is providing expected speeds.Does fasttrack it just mark the connection and bypass additional processing?
Exactly. You could maybe get a bit more of that, depending on the configuration. And the overlooking of cpu could help a bit too. But generally you should use ccr1009 as router and and let the switch to do the switching.