Community discussions

carl0s
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

DNS forward based on domain name

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm completely bemused why there's no support (after many requests) for this:

You enter a domain name in the DNS configuration, and then enter the ip address(es) of DNS servers to forward the requests for that domain to.

The Mikrotik can cache it.

What's the problem? Surely this could be coded in an afternoon?

A.K.A conditional forwarders.

Yes I know about the workarounds (dst-NAT), but they are messy and buggy, and bypass cache.

carl0s
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: DNS forward based on domain name

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Mikrotik: can I build my own package and install that on RouterOS? I need conditional DNS forwarders.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16 pm

You probably know this thread. With its 10th anniversary drawing near, it would be nice present from MikroTik, if they finally implemented it. Otherwise I'll probably start losing hope.

And no, you can't make your own packages. There are some tools to unpack .npk files, but not to create them.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

carl0s
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:21 pm

You probably know this thread. With its 10th anniversary drawing near, it would be nice present from MikroTik, if they finally implemented it. Otherwise I'll probably start losing hope.

And no, you can't make your own packages. There are some tools to unpack .npk files, but not to create them.
They don't seem to act on user requests :(

I'm going to have to put in an OpenWRT box at a remote site just so they can have a conditional DNS forwarder. Absolutely ridiculous given the overall power and flexibility of RouterOS, to not have such a simple and easy to implement feature.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:20 am

They do act on user's requests, sometimes even pretty quickly. But they also seem to completely ignore some. Sometimes there's the old "but it's too advanced for router", which may be true in some cases, but it's less and less true over the time, given all the features RouterOS already has. But request like this is really just a basic functionality and waiting ten years to get it is ridiculous.

It's like the OpenVPN story. People are crying for udp support for 10+ years. Finally in 2016, it looked like the happy end might be near, when it was said by MikroTik employee that it will be in RouterOS v7. Too bad "RouterOS v7" already became synonym for "never" back then, let alone now.

I'm still huge fan of RouterOS, and I don't think I'll stop anytime soon. But some aspects really annoy me. Hire more people, allow custom packages, open source at least parts of RouterOS and accept patches, ... anything to get things moving faster.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

carl0s
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 pm

It looks like this will do what I need (with a simple dnsmasq cli option). I think it'll do openvpn UDP if you want too. It looks like an rb750gr3 with a different operating system. That hardware has AES acceleration. Not sure if this non-mikrotik o/s supports it yet though.

https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/ubnt ... gerouter-x

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:34 pm

I am too considering buying one of those to get some experience and compare them 1:1
There will probably be (lots of?) things that RouterOS can do which those boxes do not support, and there are a lot less different models available especially in the low-price segment, but we certainly have to look around when we want progress...
The first step is of course to really understand what the properties of the different models are. "X" and "lite" differ in price and looks, but it is yet unclear to me how they differ in features and performance. And then there is the "poe" model too.

carl0s
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:53 pm

It does do hw crypto offload for ~400mbps IPsec, and DNS conditional forwarders. That's all I need. They do udo openvpn but it's slow (25mbps) and I've never actually used openvpn anyway so that's not of interest to me.

I just need IPsec and conditional DNS forwarder for the remote active-directory linked sites.. so they can use router for DNS, have active directory forwarded and cached to the a/d DNS server, and not lose internet access when the VPN becomes unavailable.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:55 pm

On the datasheet it says "1 VPN" so I wonder if there are nasty licensing schemes... a bit like some of the MikroTik APs that allow only 1 connection (usable for PtP use) and require an extra license to be used as an AP for multiple users...

acruhl

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:10 pm

I have an ER-X. The GUI is definitely more "whiz bangy" and you use the web gui (or cli of course), not something like Winbox.

MikroTik seems to do a lot more for your money software wise, but hey, if it doesn't support something that this one does, get it. It's a nice little machine. It's a lot of hardware for the money for sure.
Stuff.

carl0s
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:29 pm

I have an ER-X. The GUI is definitely more "whiz bangy" and you use the web gui (or cli of course), not something like Winbox.

MikroTik seems to do a lot more for your money software wise, but hey, if it doesn't support something that this one does, get it. It's a nice little machine. It's a lot of hardware for the money for sure.
It was either the above, or put in a raspberry pi as a separate DNS server. Shouldn't have to do either really but nevermind..

carl0s
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Received the EdgeRouter ER-X today. It's a tidy little box :-)

the O/S looks nice. Quite a lot less power than Mikrotik / Winbox.

However, there's the added flexibility of a full Linux bash shell!

I have resisted 'the other side' even though everywhere I see a point-to-point wan (wireless ISP in the UK), they always use Ubiquity. I've been using Mikrotik for over 10 years.

but Mikrotik not bothering to implement a piece-of-cake little feature like the above, has opened me up to the alternative. This is the first Ubiquity box I've touched and probably won't be the last now that I have had an accidental introduction to them.

Just a shame their WiFi manager thing runs on Java and needs a whole computer to itself.

carl0s
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:22 am

No? Still No, Mikrotik??

FFS it would be able 3 lines of code for your developers :(

EnigmAX
just joined

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Same issue. Found this post. Request is now open for at least 10 years. I guess we can wait another 10.
It truly amazes me, with all the crazy shit my CCR can do, this basic option is still unavailable.

wojo
just joined

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:36 am

I would love this, please add this MT!

mareklall
just joined

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:20 pm

+1 vote

engycz
just joined

Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:30 pm

+2 vote

ErfanDL
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:17 pm

+10000000

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:58 pm

dnsmasq will do exactly what you need, and a gr3 (+other hw) with openwrt can run dnsmasq