Community discussions

MikroTik App

Armeron
just joined
Topic Author

Groove Dead ?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 am

Hello,

I have a problem with a Mikrotik Grove. It constantly reboots into NetInstall mode ( tftp boot mode ) if I install with Netinstall , it reboots into Netinstall mode again. If I do not have Netinstall open it reboots , Ethernet light flashes and then all lights come on and it reboots .... this continues over and over again. Is there any way to fix it? Behavior is the same if using TFTP.

What to do ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Groove Dead ?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

button stuck or corroded?

Armeron
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:19 am

It doesn't feel stuck to me. I have not tried to open it to see if it is corroded or not , I doubt that it is, but will have a look anyway. What else do you recommend I do ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:19 am

Try to power it when holding the button, release the button immediately after it lights up. This will cause the backup bootloader to be used, in case there are some wrong settings.

Armeron
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

Just to confirm: Do I release the reset button after the Ethernet LED comes on or after the other lights also come on ? Normally if you hold it in long enough the the Ethernet LED is on and the other LEDs start to blink.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:47 am

Before anything blinks. Basically release it 1 second after you plug in the power.

When it's blinking, it means RouterOS will be reset, when you release. That's not required in this case.

Armeron
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks Normis. I will give this a go tonight.

Armeron
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Ok so this did not work, took the Groove apart and also did the reset using a screwdriver on the corner hole on the board. Now it makes a chirping noise and then does exactly the same as before. Reset switch seems ok. If I hold it in during boot LEDs starts to blink. Other that that it can only boot to netinstall or is stuck in a boot loop. Doing an install with netinstall does not fix it. It installs, but then boot loops after that again.

Armeron
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Is there anything else I can try ?

Armeron
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 am

Just a quick update. I can see that flashfig also works, I'm not 100% sure how the config file for flashfig should look and if this will work. If have tried various combinations , but not quite sure which will do the trick or if the commands are successful or if I'm making a mistake somewhere :

/system routerboard settings set force-backup-booter=yes

Or perhaps this to force an upgrade of the firmware....

/system routerboard upgrade

How must the syntax look like in the file ? from what I can see the above command requires you to confirm the update .... but what happens in flashfig ?

/system routerboard settings set boot-device=nand-only

Must the file contain the / in front of system for each line ? I need some help with this. Perhaps this can bring it back to life ?

TJude
just joined

Sat May 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Armeron - What were your results? I upgraded my 5 RBs today and two seem to be bricked. They chirp and beep once - about every 10 seconds. Nothing I do seems to wake them. I can see the LED's sequence, but Wireshark shows no ARP responses and repeated BOOTP requests from the RouterBoard.

FITRS
just joined

Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:34 am

This same thing happened to me. Upgraded firmware and when it rebooted just goes into the boot loop with the chirp...disappointed

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:02 am

5 years old topic.
Have you tried netinstall?