Community discussions

MikroTik App

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Queue Tree / PCQ on CCR72

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:13 am

We are struggling with PCQ's on our network getting overloaded and things just slow down ... having a really hard time figuring out why. Until today - I read this and wonder if this is related:

Queue Tree and CCR
● Currently (RouterOS v6.11) only one CPU core can take packets out from one HTB tree
● We are working on possible update of HTB algorithm, or introducing completely new method instead of HTB
● Suggestions: – Use Interface HTB as much as possible to offload, traffic from HTB “global”, or Use simple queues

I have a 10G port coming in and a 10G port going out. Download is one interface and upload is another interface.

To fix this problem should I create a bunch of vlans across that 10G port just so I have additional interfaces to use in HTB? I can just use a bunch of /30 ip routes and ospf will automatically load balance things of course.

Or should I get rid of queue tree and move everything to simple queues - seems like a bad idea.

I can only get about 800mbps thru this CCR72 with 90% of that traffic on two single PCQ entries. . . seems to work perfect until it gets busy at night. I would have thought this router (4 of them actually) could handle 1-2gbps easily but I guess not.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Queue Tree / PCQ on CCR72

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:20 am

pcq.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:22 am

In this forum post I see MacGuiver states you can split things up by subnet, which I tried in queue tree, but they still all end up under same parent. Just so I understand, I need more interfaces not just queue entries right?

viewtopic.php?p=621530#p621530

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:29 am

Since HTB is linked to a single core, the more interfaces the more cores can be used.

so 1 HTB per physical interface (sfp)
so 1 HTB per vlan

Have you considerd SFQ instead of PCQ? These need less resources.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:46 am

6.41 release

thank you. I created 4 vlans and duplicated queues under each and that really helped.

problems though ... i cant tell all 4 interfaces how much bandwidth the parent really has.

sometimes the parent (real) interface still grabs all the traffic (no-mark) even though none of the traffic is routed that way, its all using vlans ... not quite sure if its just "peering" into the vlan and deciding to help out or what. i disabled all those real interface queues and then vlan queues get the traffic. and then one of of the routers i did this on I had to disable and reenable the entire tree a few times to get things to actually work - every once in a while one of the vlans wasn't being queued at all.

what happened when you create 2 htb parents with the same interface?

ie;

/queue tree
add max-limit=2G name=total_download_1 parent=sfp1 queue=default
add max-limit=2G name=total_download_2 parent=sfp1 queue=default
add max-limit=2G name=total_download_3 parent=sfp1 queue=default

Same parent above ... its allowed?

Sam

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:31 pm

Just tried and it's allowed. So that might be another option, to spread the load.

BUT, i'm not sure how packets would be assigned to the relevant HTB... To the subqueues, that's clear, based on marks.