MUM Europe 2020

ChildOTK
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PPPoE Server trouble

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi all,

I am having some trouble with the PPPoE server. most of it is fine, trouble is the client's on an AP. i have 3 client's going through one AP in bridge mode, 1 person connects and all is fine, a second connects and suddenly both are dead.

Please help. Any will be appreciated. Thanx.

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:10 pm

Are you by any chance having 3 people connect through the same CPE/Station?
Or is it 3 people using a 3rd party cpe/station each?
What kind of cpe/station is it?
Move along. Nothing to see here.

nickb

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:47 pm

perhaps "only one" is set?

ChildOTK
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:34 pm

Thanks for the response...

I have checked all the 'only one' connection settings, all disabled from what I can see.

The clients are going through a hub, with then links up to a Saneo AP configured in bridge mode connecting to my AP.

tneumann

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:11 pm

The clients are going through a hub, with then links up to a Saneo AP configured in bridge mode connecting to my AP.
Really a Senao AP connecting to your AP (AP to AP - WDS?) or is this rather a Senao client radio?

If the Senao radio is acting as a client to your AP (which I assume is the case) and the Senao does not act as a transparent bridge but makes all of the devices connected to the ethernet hub appear to come from one MAC address (called "MAC NAT" by some in this forum) then this is probably the reason for your problems and you should enable transparent bridging over the wireless link (WDS or EoIP). If the Senao radio can't do WDS with your MikroTik AP (or does not support WDS at all) then trash it and get another client radio.

--Tom

ChildOTK
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:39 pm

Yeah, its a Senao AP configured in bridge mode, it does support the option for mac cloning, but every time i enable it it dies, and I have to reset it, and reconfigure it.

I dont have a MikroTik AP, I think it is also a Senao that is just linked to the MikroTik box via lan cable.

So I guess I will need a new AP that supports the necessary, and works.

tneumann

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:46 pm

So I guess I will need a new AP that supports the necessary, and works.
What you need is a combination of client radio and access point that seamlessly works together to provide a transparent bridge between each of your end users and the PPPoE server. In the 802.11 world this requirement translates to WDS, or if it's MikroTik on both sides it could also be done with EoIP. Every other solution is not transparent on layer 2 and you will have problems.

--Tom