Community discussions

MikroTik App

jantypas
Topic Author

Looking for a successor to the RB110AH

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:38 pm

The subject says it all -- I've got a nice, solid RB1100AH. It's currently an edge router, with a 250Mb/40Mb connection to it. It serves as the edge fireall, IPv6 firewall etc. I let a PFsense box do the IPSEC and OpenVPN work because that's easier for others to handle when compared to the Mikrotik box. It's working fine, but it's time to start thinking about its replacement. Thing's I'd wish for:
  • Can handle a 1Gb connection -- don't have that today, but it will come
  • Does the usual V6, VLANs, etc -- no issue so long as it runs RouterOS :-)
  • USB port to support LTE modem for backup
  • Fanless is nice -- we like not hearing the Cisco style engines....
  • At least five Gb ports
I don't need wireless as Ubitiqui units are already installed, and, as mentioned, VPNs are handled by another box. I'd love to use the MT, but so far as I can tell, it still doesn't support UDP OpenVPN etc.

Any suggestions?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Looking for a successor to the RB110AH

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:24 am

Three good options. All will do 1Gbps throughput via copper interfaces, some have fiber.

Upgraded version of what you already have, no USB. I do not see fans in the gallery images:

https://mikrotik.com/product/rb1100ahx4

Fanless with up to 1Gbps fiber interface:

https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1009-7G-1C-PC

Fanless with up to 10Gbps fiber interface:

https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1009-7G-1C-1SplusPC

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:27 am

BTW, all three have IPsec encryption offload. They may let you drop the additional pfSense box if you want. No reason you have to drop the pfSense box. I like pfSense.

jantypas
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 am

Very nice choices -- maybe the CCR9 will replace this unit and I can gift this unit to someone who's learning about Mikrotik while coming from an old ASA. He was a bit put off by the Mikrotik CLI but, he's learning you can get a lot of power for a fraction of the Cisco price. While I would love everything on one box, saving rack, the pfsense box is great for OpenVPN, IPSEC, etc. because anyone can set up the tunnels without my having to explain the magic of IPSEC :-) It also means if they get the configuration wrong, it doesn't bring the edge routers down :-) Now if only I could get the Verizon U720L USB modem to be stable. It comes up, sometimes, and works, sometimes....

Thanks for the help.

jantypas
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 am

Very nice choices -- maybe the CCR9 will replace this unit and I can gift this unit to someone who's learning about Mikrotik while coming from an old ASA. He was a bit put off by the Mikrotik CLI but, he's learning you can get a lot of power for a fraction of the Cisco price. While I would love everything on one box, saving rack, the pfsense box is great for OpenVPN, IPSEC, etc. because anyone can set up the tunnels without my having to explain the magic of IPSEC :-) It also means if they get the configuration wrong, it doesn't bring the edge routers down :-) Now if only I could get the Verizon U720L USB modem to be stable. It comes up, sometimes, and works, sometimes....

Thanks for the help.