Community discussions

MikroTik App

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

why winbox cannot detect rbwap

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:55 pm

i have 80 pieces to install on the walls of room hotel without power initialiy.
i just unbox one to test in my lab and i find out i cannot detect it in winbox or neighbours. i was thinking that when i power up all of them after 1 month i could detect-connect with winbox one by one and setup them as caps. rbwap is connected directly to my rb2011. no windows firewall. i tried it also and in another laptop.
i cant belive that i have to unpack one by one here in lab just to make them cap or reset them without configuration or press the button 10 seconds to make them cap. this is crazy. why i cant neighbour/mac connect?
any other sollution?

i have read this also...

viewtopic.php?t=120872

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: why winbox cannot detect rbwap

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Out of the box discovery is off on Ethernet interface. You can connect and discover if you connect to the wireless.

I *think* you can force a connection if you enter the MAC address even though it won’t discover.

Alternatively you can do the reset button thing and put it into CAPS mode where it will then discover.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Out of the box discovery is off on Ethernet interface. You can connect and discover if you connect to the wireless.

why is off when in all other products discovery its ON by default.? this is double time for me to setup now. i have to turn on all of them one by one with button pressed to make them caps in my lab.
if discovery was ON i could make them caps from winbox at the customer

I *think* you can force a connection if you enter the MAC address even though it won’t discover.

i tried that it does not work.

Alternatively you can do the reset button thing and put it into CAPS mode where it will then discover.

i am doing this right now. its a pain in the ass unboxing 80 pieces to setup them with the press of button 10 sec.
i was hoping that i place them in the rooms and after when powering up all of them i could connect one by one with winbox and issue the command to make them caps.

UBNT UNIFI you just have to adopt when power up at site

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 am

Why can't you install them in rooms first, and when plug into the ethernet (with power), hold the button to become cAP. This is much easier and no need to pre-configure anything.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Not nice blaming manufacturer for your missing switches, you are doing installation from the other end.
If this is the case, you will have to live with Flashfig or something like that, to preconfigure. The wAP is configured as an Access Point out of the box, the LAN port is firewalled. Why disable discovery? Because of security!

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Why can't you install them in rooms first, and when plug into the ethernet (with power), hold the button to become cAP. This is much easier and no need to pre-configure anything.

because the cables are not ready yet and there are no poe switches yet going back to main CCR. so there is no point pressing button to make them cap when installing on walls as they cannot detect capsman. so i am first installing them to walls because its a big amount of rbwaps and needs days.
after 1 month i will install poe switches. and check connection with CCR.

p.s. mikrotik why no 16/24 ports poe switches (unifi 16port poe switches needs 1-2 month preordering dont know why)

i was hoping that when switches installed and power on all rbwap that i could connect one by one to make them cap. why you disable discovery. my god.
Last edited by freemannnn on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Not nice blaming manufacturer for your missing switches, you are doing installation from the other end.
If this is the case, you will have to live with Flashfig or something like that, to preconfigure. The wAP is configured as an Access Point out of the box, the LAN port is firewalled. Why disable discovery? Because of security!

i dont blame manufactor. i am just saying. hotel is closed now so i have much time until summer to prepare them.
ok i will open one by one at my office and make them cap with the press of button. so when i power up all of them next month i will see them in capsman and make the appropriate settings.
is there any deadline about mikrotik poe switches? i want to make a unified setup and now i cant. i have to use poe switches from another brand.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm

There are both 8 port and 24 port PoE switches with 24/48v compatibility rumoured. They were announced last year and were loosely expected Q4 2017 (ish) but they are yet to surface. I imagine around Q2 this year if anything (maybe EU mum for launch?)