Community discussions

macmagic
just joined
Topic Author

Remote setup

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a method to remotely configure a new, out the box unit directly.

The device will be connected to a lan, not wan directly.

I can think of using TeamViewer etc to get to a PC and do basic config, then remote to device directly.
VPN to network and config from there

Any other ideas?

donsergio

Re: Remote setup

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a method to remotely configure a new, out the box unit directly.

I can think of using TeamViewer etc to get to a PC and do basic config, then remote to device directly.

Any other ideas?
Hi, I think this is better, you (or your client) can connect this new out the box unit to a computer, connect through teamviewer and configure basic (ip, dhcp client, ip/cloud) to connect directly to this device.

tholderbaum

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Any other ideas?
You are on the right track. The only thing I can think of is that if you connect to ether1, most Mikrotiks have a default config that pulls an IP address from DHCP. You could login to that address, then give it a IP, and then configure from there.
Have Mikrotik Questions? We can help
Rapid Technology Solutions
rtssupport@rapidts.com
727-482-3933

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:01 am

most Mikrotiks have a default config that pulls an IP address from DHCP
Yes, but most Mikrotiks also have "no pasaran" firewall rules for management access via WAN interface (ether1) in the default configuration. So inserting a Mikrotik "into the PC's uplink cable", where ether1 of Mikrotik would be connected to the upstanding router and the PC would be connected to Mikrotik's ether2, and then using TeamViewer to do the initial setup, is usually the least complicated method. Just tell the remote participant the "hold-the-button-until-the-LED-lights-steadily" trick if you eventually cut your branch. Also good to know that resetting the configuration to defaults does not erase backup files, so you can then quickly restore the last working configuration. Sometimes safe mode prevents you from making some changes permanent (if the device is accessible after a change but the original session breaks, safe mode will undo such change)-
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.