Community discussions

MikroTik App

neilws
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot external captive portal with radius authentication - flow and authentication confusion!

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Im looking to create a hotspot/captive portal that will allow users to access wifi by logging in using social media or completing a small form. Returning customers will be automatically logged in (via MAC address I'm assuming). Authentication/accounting will be via an external radius server.

In my test lab I've setup freeRadius & daloradius and successfully created a hotspot on the mikrotik and hooked up to the external radius server. So all very straightforward when using the hotspot pages on the mikrotik.

Ideally my login pages will need to be hosted externally to incorporate social media logins, data capture and scalability more efficiently. Where I'm having trouble grasping the concepts are, when I redirect my hotspot users to an external login page how and where the radius authentication takes place to allow the user access to the wifi.

I envisage my external portal login page will receive variables from the mikrotik such as "host=$(server-name)&client_mac=$(mac)&client_ip=$(ip)&userurl=$(link-orig)&login_url=$(link-login-only)&error=$(error)&user=$(username)" but its then how this data is sent to the radius server for authentication and then how the mikrotik receives the response and allows access.

Grateful for any steers in the right direction!

Neil

lexcyr
just joined

Re: Hotspot external captive portal with radius authentication - flow and authentication confusion!

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:53 am

I have the same project.
I wanted to allow user to login automatically (via mac) after completing a form.
Did you manage to find a solution in your problem? if yes can you please share it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Cvan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Hotspot external captive portal with radius authentication - flow and authentication confusion!

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:47 am

Set your MT as the radius client for the Radius server, and check hotspot and use passthrough method

LaKing

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:01 am

Also looking for a detailed guide, ....