Community discussions

MikroTik App

Agromahdi123
just joined
Topic Author

Switch connecting to Google DNS

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:37 am

Why is my switch constantly querying 8.8.8.8 for cloud.mikrotik.com? why cant i stop this? cloud is disabled, dns is set to my local server, but every 2 seconds, it connects to GOOGLE DNS, AND I DONT KNOW HOW IT GOT THAT ADDRESS, where its getting it from, where the setting is to stop it, or any of that. Can someone enlighten me as to what the fuck is going on? Ive had to add a drop rule on my edge router to stop the traffic.
(Switch is in bridge mode connected to a Hex in router mode) no complicated settings here, just using as flat switch until later)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Switch connecting to Google DNS

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 am

Disable the ip cloud functions.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Do you have it set as a DNS cache?
Steve "Steveocee" Carter
PC Gamer, Airsofter, MikroTik Nerd
My Website - My MikroTik Tutorials

Agromahdi123
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 am

/ip dns print shows the local servers i have configed, i could add a static entry in the DNS cache for the switch itself, but it should query my local DNS. /ip cloud services all disabled, all ip services disabled. Im very confused. Does the switch actually need a static entry for that? and if so, why wouldnt it query the DNS server set by user, and if it isnt, where in the sam hell did it get the info from?

Agromahdi123
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 am

figured it out, but i dont know how it happened or how to reproduce, but somehow even though /ip cloud print shows disabled, in winbox when you open that up it says "updating" even though cloud is disabled, so, somehow that got bugged and since last night has spammed 245,000 blocked queries to google lol. I enabled cloud, and then disabled it again, and upon applying the settings, it said it had updated. so something bugged out there.

Agromahdi123
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 am

nevermind, that seems to be the problem, cant seem to stop it. at least until i tried it from command line, /ip cloud print shows disabled, /ip cloud export shows ddns setting is not set to yes or no, running /ip cloud set ddns-enabled=no seems to have fixed the issue. EDIT IT STARTED AGAIN, i think im going to reset to default and reload from old config or start from scratch, not much work has been done on the switch anyways.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 am

Ip cloud is used for time and time zone detection. Hope you disabled those functions also.

Agromahdi123
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm

yea i did, once i reset the config, the problems stopped. i dont know how, but i mustve made rOS glitch out or something.