Community discussions

MikroTik App

acruhl
Topic Author

Re: Master/Slave Ports vs Interface Lists

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:54 am

Post your version and config.

The device is telling you that the interface is a port in a bridge (check /interface bridge port) and it wants you to apply the config to the bridge instead of the slave interface probably. Makes sense when you think about it because a slave interface is bridged to other interfaces. Apply the config to the bridge...

acruhl
Topic Author

Re: Master/Slave Ports vs Interface Lists  [SOLVED]

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:37 am

So the config you have now doesn't match your description. If you still want separate L2 domains like you had before, you simply create a new bridge and then add ports to it. So from your description, your "old" setup equivalent would have 3 to 5 assigned to bridge1, and 6 to 10 to bridge2. That's really all there is to it. Then if you want to do something that's relevant to all ports in the bridge (such as dhcp-server or firewall rules), you apply that config to the bridge device.

acruhl
Topic Author

Re: Master/Slave Ports vs Interface Lists

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:21 pm

There is a point that often gets missed on this forum, so I'm going to explain it. This isn't directed to you, but if it works as a reminder, that's great :)

As soon as you put IP addresses on bridge1 and bridge2 from my example above, those L2 domains can now talk to each other over L3 (IP). But they remain separate L2 domains.

So if you put 192.168.1.1/24 on bridge1, and 192.168.2.1/24 on bridge2, suddenly all devices attached to each bridge can now ping each other.

I see a lot of posts that assume something special needs to be done to get those networks to talk to each other, or to talk to the internet for that matter. If you're using the default masquerade rule, they will both talk to the internet. If you have no firewall rules specifically blocking communication between those 2 bridges' subnets (aka L2 domains), they will talk to each other because they are connected routes.