Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Bandwidth test result is lower than LAN Clients

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Ive got a setup (RB941) with roughly 60M/20M wan connection on VDSL (PPPoE). Wired and wireless clients can get upto 58M download speeds from speedtest.net

When I test with the built in bandwidth test tool to a btest server than can manage 500M, I only see 20-25M tops. Its pretty standard setup with few filter rules. If I test to the LAN address of the device (192.168.88.1) I see 200M+

Anyone any ideas why LAN clients get nearly the full WAN speed but the ROS test is less than half?

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Bandwidth test result is lower than LAN Clients

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Ok Partly my bad - I was doing TCP tests and the lower speed is down to TCP overhead. Likely Speedtest.net uses UDP.

But the reason I was doing TCP was because I couldnt get UDP test to work - however Ive since discovered that UDP only works if I set the direction to "Both", setting it to "Receive" doesnt work. Does anybody know why?

Is it to do with the firewall not recognising it as a connection? How do we fix this?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bandwidth test result is lower than LAN Clients

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Btest is very cpu inefficient. It is stressing small and weak cpu of 941 too much. Search a bit about it, it is written here many times.