Community discussions

MikroTik App

danlane1973
just joined
Topic Author

Netinstall failure

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Ok, last chance before I just have to send the RB911 back and get another one. It's a firmware/os upgrade gone bad. Ok it went bad.. Need to use netinstall to put it back to rights.

I have it setup getting POE from a Hap Lite (which is working fine). So I can actually do a packet capture from that. I can and have done packet capture from a directly connected PC (to the Hap) as well.

Here's the good-- It is sending out BootP broadcasts and is actively trying to find a bootp server! So that is working.

What isn't working is Netinstall. It's not getting the bootp request or just ignoring it. I've tried the 6.39.3 version the 5.26, and the 6.41.2 versions. All are doing the same things. (Which in this case is nothing apparently). I have done the Net Boot, click the box give it an IP. Doesn't work. (Even on the PC I am doing the WireShark packet captures from, so I am sure it is GETTING the bootp packets).

I've tried, 4 different machines with windows 10 on them. (my desktop, an Asus laptop, HP 450, HP 650)
I've tried it from an XM virtual machine with only 1 NIC.
I've rebooted the HP 650 laptop into Window 7 PE mode.. Nope.
Rebooted into a Linux live CD that had wine on it (Zorin) Disabled the firewall, and made wine run as root.. Nope.

At this point I've put way to much time into this.. and I have made zero progress, and I am out of ideas. Besides just buying another board.. If anyone has some sort of liveCD that actually WORKS with netinstall I would love to know about it.