Lebzul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PSN NAT Type

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:07 am

Code: Select all

Hi,
I was wondering if there a way to have NAT Type 2 on PS4/PSVITA?
I have a RB750gr3 which is set up like this:

ISP modem > TP-Link load balancer > Mikrotik > Switch > PS4

I have opened (Srcnat) all ports (Literally) to the static IP of the PS4 with no avail. Sometimes says NAT3 and plays to a certain point fine but cannot chat group with friends.
Also, I have tried UPnP (which is not secure) and sometimes says NAT Type 2 and NAT Type3. It's a lottery. Because I have two consoles, I had to Srcnat ports to an address list but sometimes works and sometimes does not.
Is there a way to solve this once and for all?
Thanks

Nat print:
[Admin@RB750Gr3 HQ] /ip firewall nat> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic
0 chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface=WAN1 log=no log-prefix=""

1 ;;; DMZ GAMING
chain=dstnat action=add-dst-to-address-list to-addresses=10.50.10.246
to-ports=1-65535 protocol=tcp address-list=GAMING
address-list-timeout=none-dynamic in-interface=WAN1 dst-port=1-65535
log=no log-prefix=""

2 chain=dstnat action=add-dst-to-address-list to-addresses=10.50.10.246
to-ports=1-65535 protocol=udp address-list=GAMING
address-list-timeout=none-dynamic in-interface=WAN1 dst-port=1-65535
log=no log-prefix=""

Lebzul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: PSN NAT Type

Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm

No one knows?

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 03, 2018 4:56 pm

The problem is more likely related to your ISP modem or TP-Link load balancer. You shouldn't need to do anything special to have PS4 work fine, default NAT type will allow any inbound packets to endpoint opened ports.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 03, 2018 5:11 pm

I can't tell you why your setup is not working. But what it does struck me weird is your dstnat rules.

You have two, one for UDP and one for TCP, and the only action is adding DST address to a list ... and when talking about dstnat, DST address (before DST NAT does anything) is router's WAN address. As there's no other DST-NAT action (or it's not shown anyway), the packet processing proceeds other FW rules whatever they are. Minimum to have DST NAT working is to have some line with "action=dst-nat" .... or a few, depending on requirements.

According to information on internet, you only need to dst-nat a few select TCP and UDP ports. However, it seems to insist on a few particular ports which means you can only use single PS4 console behind single public IP address. If you dst-nat to both, then router will forward traffic to one of them, not necessarily to the right one all the time (I guess that's causing you to see NAT working at times and not otherwise). I advise you to setup DST NAT for only one console and see if that one works reliably for on-line gaming. If it does, then you know the reason. If it's not, then come back and we'll try to get it working.

Lebzul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:24 am

I can't tell you why your setup is not working. But what it does struck me weird is your dstnat rules.

You have two, one for UDP and one for TCP, and the only action is adding DST address to a list ... and when talking about dstnat, DST address (before DST NAT does anything) is router's WAN address. As there's no other DST-NAT action (or it's not shown anyway), the packet processing proceeds other FW rules whatever they are. Minimum to have DST NAT working is to have some line with "action=dst-nat" .... or a few, depending on requirements.

According to information on internet, you only need to dst-nat a few select TCP and UDP ports. However, it seems to insist on a few particular ports which means you can only use single PS4 console behind single public IP address. If you dst-nat to both, then router will forward traffic to one of them, not necessarily to the right one all the time (I guess that's causing you to see NAT working at times and not otherwise). I advise you to setup DST NAT for only one console and see if that one works reliably for on-line gaming. If it does, then you know the reason. If it's not, then come back and we'll try to get it working.
So far, I haven't been able to fix it properly. CoD WWII keeps saying "NAT problem" when starting a match although I have opened "Dst" all ports to the static IP of the PS4

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:18 am

Can you get the NAT type working if you remove the load balancer, so running a single connection first (even though it may be bad) and then add the load balancer back?

A correct implementation of UPnP should work (although not secure) but should as a minimum be consistent.