Community discussions

MikroTik App

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

routed wlan and pppoe?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:54 am

The advice on the forum often contradicts, and performance is inverse to management, etc.

Most people agree that routing each interface on an ap will yeild better performance.

PPPoE is also recommended for concentrating customers. But it is recommended that PPPoE is not run on the wireless board.

The problem is that PPPoE cannot connect behind a route.

So are all the people using PPPoE on wireless just bridging their wireless interfaces or am I missing something.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:26 pm

I would go the route to create EoIP tunnels between the wireless APs and the PPPoE server.
There are other ways to achieve layer 2 connectivity between the (PPPoE) client and the PPPoE server, but this is one possiblilty.

Best regards,
Christian Meis

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:28 pm

It is possible to configure PPPoE server on wireless interface. PPPoE server-client communications require that server and client belong to the same broadcast domain, if server and client is routed on the following way,
PPPoE server --- router --- client.
PPPoE client will be able to reach PPPoE server;
- router supports PPPoE relay feature;
- router is acting as transparent bridge between PPPoE server and client.

There are some additional issues with PPPoE on wireless, Windows built-in clients offer/support statefull encryption. It might cause additional issues, as statefull enctyption is very sensitive for any packets loss (that might occur on wireless), if packet loss occurs statefull encryption tunnel is disconnected.
That's why it should be more better to use third-part PPPoE client software, that allows to set 'stateless' encryption.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:15 pm

My current setup at this pop is two routerOS wraps with two cards as bridges. they go into a network that has a public route and a nat on two seperate non mt boxes. I have a seperate pppoe server for the building tennants, it is only pppoe and runs mt.

I think I am going to replace the two wrap AP's at this location with a PC and run PPPoE server/Hotspot/Static routes on wireless interfaces.

Customer Router --- Wirless Client --- wireless AP with PPPoE and Hotspot and Static Routes --- Backbone route

I will continue to treat the building and wireless as seperate pops.

I will run two types of pools and profiles for pppoe and one pool for Hotspot.

I will post results.

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: routed wlan and pppoe?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:07 pm

Most people agree that routing each interface on an ap will yeild better performance.
Did you mean to say "Not bridging yields better performance"?
PPPoE is also recommended for concentrating customers. But it is recommended that PPPoE is not run on the wireless board.
PPPoE is recommended. I recommend it. When you say board, do you mean motherboard or forum/bulletin board?
So are all the people using PPPoE on wireless just bridging their wireless interfaces or am I missing something.
You are missing that you could do pppoe client on wireless cpe and pppoe termination on the AP they are connected to. Incidentally this permits MTU over PPPoE tunnel to be 1500. You'll get *good* performance when done right. If you can't get it to work with good performance then you are just not doing it right. You need APs with more memory than RB112 but an RB112 would suffice as client installation.

C kolon backslash duh! :)

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: routed wlan and pppoe?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:07 pm

Did you mean to say "Not bridging yields better performance"?
- Yes, and it lets me get by with other sloppy behavior
PPPoE is recommended. I recommend it. When you say board, do you mean motherboard or forum/bulletin board?
-Ok you are running PPPoE on wlan interface of every ap and keep track of/setup all your pools, and profiles of each ap with... a spreadsheet? Do you also run any advanced queues on the 266mhz 532? What is your CPU load? Are your running nstream?
-Mikrotik AP (on wrap2c in this case)
You are missing that you could do pppoe client on wireless cpe and pppoe termination on the AP they are connected to. Incidentally this permits MTU over PPPoE tunnel to be 1500. You'll get *good* performance when done right. If you can't get it to work with good performance then you are just not doing it right. You need APs with more memory than RB112 but an RB112 would suffice as client installation.

C kolon backslash duh! :)
I never have used a 112 for ap, only 532 or wraps, also what you describe is what I already said I will post results of, however using PC for the hardware so there is no cpu load problems, and I can only have one config to keep track of on the POP

MyThoughts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:45 am

My entire wireless network is composed or RouterOS, and I understand your concern about bridging.

When I started I was using a simple WDS solution with PPPoE. However I was not satisfied with the performcance of the wireless when working with WDS and bridges. I very soon reworked the entire network to be routed only, no bridges, no WDS. As I appreciate all the benefits of using PPPoE style tunnel connections and could no longer use them across the routed netowork I started to use PPTP for client connections. I have been operating this way for some time and have had very few issues.

Using this method I can concentrate all users to logging into my main server (you can still use RADIUS is desired), it also means that the 'work' the APs do is maintaining connections and passing data. All advanced routing, queues, etc., is also completed either at the CPE and/or the server.

Art
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:37 pm

My entire wireless network is composed or RouterOS, and I understand your concern about bridging.

When I started I was using a simple WDS solution with PPPoE. However I was not satisfied with the performcance of the wireless when working with WDS and bridges. I very soon reworked the entire network to be routed only, no bridges, no WDS. As I appreciate all the benefits of using PPPoE style tunnel connections and could no longer use them across the routed netowork I started to use PPTP for client connections. I have been operating this way for some time and have had very few issues.

Using this method I can concentrate all users to logging into my main server (you can still use RADIUS is desired), it also means that the 'work' the APs do is maintaining connections and passing data. All advanced routing, queues, etc., is also completed either at the CPE and/or the server.
how do you use network without WDS ?
You use eoip ?
You use Nat ?

example

MT - router with PPPOE - i can change it to PPTP or L2TP
------ wlan WDS ------
MT - WDS and after it are 4 other MT based AP connectet do it with wds.

without wds even routed network will not work , i think maybe i'm wrong ?

theanks for answer

MyThoughts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:11 pm

PPPoE operates on the MAC address level (layer 2), so that is why you need to use WDS (or a different transparent bridging technique).
PPTP operates on the IP address level (layer 3), this is why you can use PPTP on a routed network and a bridged network.

PPTP, works on both routed, and bridged network
PPPoE, works only on a bridged network

I'm speaking of an all RouterOS based system

Art
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 am

i know that

so u use station mode on your connections between ap ?
all ap's must have dhcp server enabled?