Community discussions

CerpinTaxt
just joined
Topic Author

Seemingly identical options in Hotspot

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:42 am

I am looking at the documentation on the Mikrotik wiki for Hotspot and I am trying to wrap my head around whether the following two options are for the exact same purpose, or if they serve subtly different purposes.

In IP->Hotspot "Server" tab, opening a server there is "Address Pool" option. From the wiki:
Address space used to change HotSpot client any IP address to a valid address.
Useful for providing public network access to mobile clients that are not willing to change their networking settings.

versus

IP -> Hotspot "User Profiles" tab, opening a profile there is also an "Address Pool" option. From the wiki:
IP pool name from which the user will get IP. When user has improper network settings configuration on the computer, HotSpot server makes translation and assigns correct IP address from the pool instead of incorrect one.

Are these the same? You need to assign a profile to the server, and in both places there is only an option for a single IP pool, so it seems redundant to set the IP pool in both places.
Typically I've been setting the "Server" option to the valid IP pool and leaving the "User Profiles" one set to "none" and its fine, but I am trying to work out if there is some function here I am missing/misunderstanding.

Can anyone shed some light?
MTCNA, MTCWE

2frogs
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Seemingly identical options in Hotspot  [SOLVED]

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:06 pm

They are the same, but on is applied to that server and the other to just the certain users. Setting a pool in either place creates a 1 to 1 nat/ client nat helper that allows devices with static IPs to be able to connect to the hotspot. In most cases this feature causes more issues than it solves. You can set both to none and they will still receive an IP from the DHCP Server.

CerpinTaxt
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Seemingly identical options in Hotspot

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:03 am

@2frogs thanks very much! This makes sense.
MTCNA, MTCWE