Community discussions

MikroTik App

mbrtonpye
Topic Author

Problems with Safe Mode  [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm

HI All

I know that there have been a couple of threads on this kind of thing in the past but not quite like this (as far as I have found)....

I wanted to make some changes to ip>Firewall>Filter

I had the appropriate window open in Winbox but wanted to cut and paste from a script to a terminal so.....

In a new terminal window...
IP>Firewall>Filter
add blah blah blah
add blah blah blah

Then the bit that could go wrong so click on the Safe Mode button and
add next rule

As I wasn't completely happy and didn't want to commit as I was being called away, I closed Winbox without committing the change that I had made

I now come back to Winbox (a day later) and open the ip>firewall>filter window but find that the only entry is a comment which is dynamically made from hotspot settings although , at the bottom of the window, it says 'Item 1 out of 22'. The item displayed is number 7!!!! How does that work?

If I go to a new terminal window and go to ip>firewall>filter and then print, I can see all of the rules listed which I would expect up to the point that I clicked the Safe Mode button, the one rule that I entered after enabling Safe Mode having been dropped as I would have expected.

I'm puzzled. I can see the rules in terminal but not in the firewall filters window.

Does anyone know who to clear this?

mbrtonpye
Topic Author

Re: Problems with Safe Mode

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Can anyone help me with this?

tippenring

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:01 pm

In the top right of the firewall filter rules window, click the dropdown and select "all."

As far as safe mode, my experience is safe mode in the GUI vs the terminal do not work together. Clicking on safe mode in the GUI, then editing the config in a terminal window will result in the terminal window changes being permanent, and vice versa. At least that's my experience.

I make it a habit to turn on safe mode when needed wherever I'm making the edit. That's the safe mode button in the GUI, and ^X in a terminal window.

mbrtonpye
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Ahhh.....

Thanks to the person who realised I was being stupid!

Having never used the filter before, I didn't even suspect it