Community discussions

MikroTik App

atlanticd
Topic Author

Factory Software field is empty in Winbox

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 am

I noticed that after installing RouterOS with netinstall, the Factory Software field in Winbox - System/Resources became empty. Will this cause any disadvantage/problems in the future? Thank you.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Factory Software field is empty in Winbox

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 am

No. This just means your router was manufactured before this feature was added.

atlanticd
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:00 pm

No. This just means your router was manufactured before this feature was added.
Thank you for your feedback. Can you please tell me what feature are you referring to? I noticed first on RB433AH, which is relatively old device, but I noticed the same on mAP lite as well, which is newer device.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Factory Software field is empty in Winbox  [SOLVED]

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:25 pm

At some point in time the "factory software version" field was added to the manufactured
devices, and when the device was manufactured without it, the value is blank.
Anyway, this field is only used to prevent installation of software older than that version.
Some people prefer to install a very old software version they once have tested and found OK,
but this approach does not work on MikroTik equipment because sometimes the hardware is changed
in a new production run and the software is modified to support it, and the older software does not
work on the newer hardware.
Apparently after this has caused difficulties a few times, this field was added and now the installer
refuses to install software with a lower version than in that "factory software version" field.
As long as you do not try to install old software, it is not important what value is in this field.

atlanticd
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:28 pm

At some point in time the "factory software version" field was added to the manufactured
devices, and when the device was manufactured without it, the value is blank.
Anyway, this field is only used to prevent installation of software older than that version.
Some people prefer to install a very old software version they once have tested and found OK,
but this approach does not work on MikroTik equipment because sometimes the hardware is changed
in a new production run and the software is modified to support it, and the older software does not
work on the newer hardware.
Apparently after this has caused difficulties a few times, this field was added and now the installer
refuses to install software with a lower version than in that "factory software version" field.
As long as you do not try to install old software, it is not important what value is in this field.
Thank you for this comprehensive explanation, now I understand completely.