Community discussions

MikroTik App

jo2jo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

poe out, Power Cycle button never works

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Ive never been able to see or get the Power Cycle command (in winbox) to work (or do anything at all).

ie i should be able to click it, select eth4 , set duration to 5s or 10s, and then poe OUT on eth4 should be set to off, for 5/10s then come back on (to thus power cycle what ever device is getting POE from the MT's eth4) - nothing happens (ever, ive tried to use this many times, always have to manually do it via poe menu or write a script)
same on most recent rOS, as well as older versions (ie 6.38...)

ive tried this on many hex POE (pgs960) and many other devices.

nothing happens at all (ie poe out does not get cycled).

what am i missing here?

(im talking about this fucntion):
img.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:beep :beep :beep

jo2jo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Re: poe out, Power Cycle button never works

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:13 pm

to update: i got a reply from MT support, and they said the only work around is to manually set poe-out to OFF, then back to AUTO/Forced-ON, and they hope to be able to fix the button in a ROS update soon.

(i guess this button is not used very often or else MT / others would have caught this).

solar77

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:19 pm

I've used this on hex POE and hex POE lite. both works.
POE is set to force on. it used as a switch though, not a router. if that makes any difference.
MTCNA MTCTCE UEWA

jo2jo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:37 pm

I've used this on hex POE and hex POE lite. both works.
POE is set to force on. it used as a switch though, not a router. if that makes any difference.
Interesting , When you say is used as a switch, do you mean it’s running SWOS, or is it running routerOS (and using a bridge interface)

What version of ros (if ros).

Also the various times I’ve tested this (and it’s failed) the port was providing POE in the auto mode (as its various 802.3af devices)

Two hexPOE s I just now tested again, are both using routerOS (6.41.3 w same v FW) with a bridge int, and the interface I’m testing is added to that bridge (So also being used as a switch).

Tks

solar77

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am

by switch I mean I cleared all default config, bridged all the 5 ports, assign 1 static IP to the bridge, so no NAT, no Firewall, function a switch.
two of the ports (ether 5 and ether 4) are used to power Ubiquiti NanoBeam AC which is 24V passive, about 4 Watt. I set the POE to Force on.

had to power cycle few times at different Mikrotik and it worked fine. hex POE Lite Firmware 6.35.4, most of hex POE on firmware 6.38.5, few on slightly newer version

the only issue I've had was the POE port was providing power but not passing traffic. cannot remember what I had to do but reboot the Mikrotik did not work. I am than told that we should have used the Mikrotik switch for this as it's more stable.
MTCNA MTCTCE UEWA

jo2jo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 am

interesting, well the issue /bug def. applies to all hex POE (on both 24v and 48v), ive now tested several of them. I had to end up writing a script that does a ping check and if down, will manually power cycle the ports (via /int eth poe ... on / off) . hopefully bug will be fixed soon with a rOS update, as clearly the functionality works if done manually. tks

walterav1984

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 pm

@jo2jo since you wrote a "cli" ping based script to power down I guess the ""Power Cycle Ping Enabled" from the winbox "gui" also didn't work for you besides the powercycle button?

Same question asked here:
viewtopic.php?t=131971