Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

High CPU on CCR1072 every pppoe-client go down

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:09 am

Every time that a pppoe-client go down, my ccr1072 has a cpu-peak (30%-40% CPU usage increase).
It will be solved with "!) tile - improved overall system performance and stability ("/system routerboard upgrade" required)" of 6.41.3?

Thanks

Kindis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: High CPU on CCR1072 every pppoe-client go down

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:56 am

aacable

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Only If you have high number of ppp clients & you are doing NATTING as well, then I would recommend you to do NATTING on different router.

Example:
Mark connection for private ip users, and then route them to 2nd router which will do the NATTING. also add reverse route in 2nd router so that it can see the users ip directly.
mikrotik natting and routing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syed Jahanzaib
Web: http://aacable.wordpress.com
Email: aacable [at] hotmail.com

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Thanks for answer!
All my pppoe customer have public IP, although exists a NAT table in the same router with a few entrys (5 exactly) for other purposes.

Can be the nat table the trouble?
Is not too much cpu usage that one pppoe client going down use 30% of CPU of 72 core router?

BRMateus2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 pm

What is at tools profiler when this happens? Percentage by process.

Kindis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 am

This is a quote from the thread I linked, please read it.
It doesn't matter if the user has public or private IP, it's about interfaces.

When interfaces connect/disconnect, with combination with NAT, it gives you high CPU usage.
So simply eliminate NAT from that router.

Have a separate router "in front" of the PPPoE concentrator, that NATs the traffic from the private IPs.
Setup routing (even static routes) between the PPPoE concentrator and the new router.
Terminate public and private IPs on the PPPoE concentrator.

That way, you will not have CPU usage issues.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:33 pm

This is a quote from the thread I linked, please read it.
It doesn't matter if the user has public or private IP, it's about interfaces.

When interfaces connect/disconnect, with combination with NAT, it gives you high CPU usage.
So simply eliminate NAT from that router.

Have a separate router "in front" of the PPPoE concentrator, that NATs the traffic from the private IPs.
Setup routing (even static routes) between the PPPoE concentrator and the new router.
Terminate public and private IPs on the PPPoE concentrator.

That way, you will not have CPU usage issues.
It is not just a matter of NAT, it is a matter of connection tracking as a whole. All connections running through that interface, nat'ed or not, are removed from the conntrack table at once when the interface goes down.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:28 am

I agree, It has sense, I don't think that 5 nat entrys can be the problem. Then there is not configuration solution since connection tracking can not be removed (in my case), and only Mikotik can improve this problem, it I think.

As I say at my first, can be resolved with: "!) tile - improved overall system performance and stability ("/system routerboard upgrade" required)" of 6.41.3?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 am

I agree, It has sense, I don't think that 5 nat entrys can be the problem. Then there is not configuration solution since connection tracking can not be removed (in my case), and only Mikotik can improve this problem, it I think.
Sorry for being unclear. The issue is related to NAT in terms that if the to-address of the src nat is obtained dynamically because
action=masquerade
is used, all connections are cleared, regardless whether they are nated or not (it seems that inspecting them one by one would take even more CPU). And this behaviour is there on purpose, to avoid stuck connections with outdated internet-facing addresses, so it cannot be "fixed" - it is not broken.

So if all the PPPoE interfaces have fixed IP addresses, you can replace all masquerade rules by src-nat rules specifying these fixed to-addresses (using one rule per interface), you'll get rid of that issue. If the addresses are assigned to the PPPoE interfaces dynamically, you cannot replace
masquerade
by
src-nat
and thus you cannot get rid of the issue.
As I say at my first, can be resolved with: "!) tile - improved overall system performance and stability ("/system routerboard upgrade" required)" of 6.41.3?
This is unrelated.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

aacable

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:43 am

Sorry for being unclear. The issue is related to NAT in terms that if the to-address of the src nat is obtained dynamically because
action=masquerade
is used, all connections are cleared, regardless whether they are nated or not (it seems that inspecting them one by one would take even more CPU). And this behaviour is there on purpose, to avoid stuck connections with outdated internet-facing addresses, so it cannot be "fixed" - it is not broken.
This is unrelated.
Agreed.
I guess MT needs to improve handling of Connection Tracking in possibly some more efficient way.

Syed Jahanzaib
Web: http://aacable.wordpress.com
Email: aacable [at] hotmail.com

Wibernet
just joined

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:16 pm

The only issue I have with all of this is that mine worked perfectly with the CCR1036, only now that we have installed a CCR1072 has this become a problem.

Latency spikes and packet loss whenever someone disconnects from PPPoE. (CPU is only hitting 50% so surely that should not happen?)

We are removing all NAT rules and giving everyone a public IP address so hopefully that resolves this issue.

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:49 pm

action=masquerade

So if all the PPPoE interfaces have fixed IP addresses, you can replace all masquerade rules by src-nat rules specifying these fixed to-addresses (using one rule per interface), you'll get rid of that issue. If the addresses are assigned to the PPPoE interfaces dynamically, you cannot replace
masquerade
by
src-nat
and thus you cannot get rid of the issue.

This is unrelated.
But I not use masquerade, all my customers have public IPs. I have some nat-entrys for other purposes, that not affect to pppoe behavior
If witht CCR1036 other people say that the issue not exists, could be a CCR1072 issue?

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:57 pm

The only issue I have with all of this is that mine worked perfectly with the CCR1036, only now that we have installed a CCR1072 has this become a problem.

Latency spikes and packet loss whenever someone disconnects from PPPoE. (CPU is only hitting 50% so surely that should not happen?)

We are removing all NAT rules and giving everyone a public IP address so hopefully that resolves this issue.
Have you installed the v6.41.3 for tile improve? I don't dare because of the recognized problem with the DHCP server on a bridge (is my case)
I also have occasional pppoe clients down with a CPU consumption of 20%-30% (but It could be for reasons unrelated to all this).

Please, keep me posted if you solve the problem.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:17 pm

But I not use masquerade, all my customers have public IPs. I have some nat-entrys for other purposes, that not affect to pppoe behavior
If witht CCR1036 other people say that the issue not exists, could be a CCR1072 issue?
If you don't use masquerade at all, and all your NAT rules are static, then yes, the reason seems to be a different one. Hard to say whether it is an issue of any CCR1072 or this particular one, though.

That's why output of
/export hide-sensitive
should be attached to each topic - doing so prevents such doubts from ever occurring. As vast majority of problems of CPU overloads on dynamic interface restarts are related to the use of masquerade, it is the first thing to come on mind if no details are provided.