Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Radius Server versus MT User Manager

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:03 pm

I'm a bit puzzled here. I've had a radius server running on a PC connected to my hotspot('s) running on a routerboard in a box with antenna etc.
Due problems and necessary configuration changes I'm now building a separate machine taking care of the Hotspot.
I only now found MT has this usermanager and the OS itself has its users database. Both (or are we actuall talking the same thing here?) are basically capable of performing the same actions as a Radius.
My Question is now why should you use a (hard to configure for non Linux adepts) Radius server if all administration basically can be performed by the MT software itself?
Everywhere in the doc's and this forum I see reverts to a Radius but actually I do not quit understand why.
Before I start spending loads of my precious time I would like to know what route is best to go. My set up will be for 4 to 6 hundred users in time with a mix off permanent subscribers and holiday (short time) users.

Does anybody have a quick answer to this?

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:48 pm

The User Manager is a fairly new addition to RouterOS. Also many people use commercial/custom ISP billing systems that use radius.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:27 am

External Radius is also much more configurable - you can do *exactly* what you want, vs. doing only what MT allows in the user manager...

MT's usermanager will also not function well in large scale deployments... (Hundreds of thousands of users).

The UserManger IMHO really should not be seen as a Radius server.... It offers significantly less than what a fully fledged Radius server does.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:30 am

to write something positive - user manager is perfect for small/average sized hotspots; it is easily to install and configure (try to explain radius to an average technician); it's optimised for routeros hotspot; you get support for both and it's also on the same box as your hotspot.