Community discussions

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Winbox Not Detecting RouterBoard

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 am

Hello Mikrotik Experts! I am having a unique Winbox problem to connect with routerboard. I have Groove 52HPn and trying to access this on my Windows7 PC through Winbox, but Winbox is not detecting this in its neighbors window. But when access the same Groove with the Winbox on Windows XP PC it gets detect in neighbors window easily and get the Winbox login without any problem. Please assist me whats the problem and where is the problem and how to fix this. Any valuable help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Please refer to the attachment for the Winbox screenshots on different windows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jspool

Re: Winbox Not Detecting RouterBoard

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:26 am

Is your Windows 7 network set to public? If so you can either set you network to private or make an exception to allow Winbox on both public and private. Do you have some virtual network drivers installed on the windows 7 machine? I have seen in the past some network drivers installed by virtualbox cause Winbox to not detect properly.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:45 am

Is your Windows 7 network set to public? If so you can either set you network to private or make an exception to allow Winbox on both public and private. Do you have some virtual network drivers installed on the windows 7 machine? I have seen in the past some network drivers installed by virtualbox cause Winbox to not detect properly.
Hello jspool! Thank you very much for your prompt reply and support. I really appreciate. I have my Windows 7 network set to private and also been disabled the Windows firewall to detect the board with Winbox. Sorry! i don't have any virtual network drivers installed on this newly formatted PC and uploaded Window 7. Well..!! Could you please let me assist what virtual network drivers you are mentioning which makes Winbox not to detect properly and how to check for these on Windows 7? Thanks.

jspool

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 am

Assuming that you have the latest network drivers for your Ethernet card and the firewall is allowing Winbox or is disabled it should work fine. The latest Winbox I believe is 3.12. Sometime pending Windows updates will mess stuff up until you reboot and apply them as well.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:43 am

Assuming that you have the latest network drivers for your Ethernet card and the firewall is allowing Winbox or is disabled it should work fine. The latest Winbox I believe is 3.12. Sometime pending Windows updates will mess stuff up until you reboot and apply them as well.
Okay jspool! i have also been tried to access the board with latest Winbox 3.12, not to be detected by this new version of Winbox. I am wondering to confirm that whether its the problem with router board or with the Window 7, as this and all other router boards are accessing in Windows XP quite easily, But not with Windows 7. So what do you suggest me to do further? Should i update my Windows 7 with pending updates, as i have also disabled the background updates for Windows 7 to avoid slow downing the PC? Thanks.

jspool

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 am

I would update the PC and retry. Sometimes generic network drivers are replaced with the proper drivers when updated. I have only seen: Windows firewall, virtualbox network drivers, third party firewalls from Antivirus installation & generic network drivers cause issues.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:59 am

I would update the PC and retry. Sometimes generic network drivers are replaced with the proper drivers when updated. I have only seen: Windows firewall, virtualbox network drivers, third party firewalls from Antivirus installation & generic network drivers cause issues.
Okay! jspool! i'll do the same and retry and get back to you with the Winbox routerbaord detection outcome. Thanks.

jspool

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:02 am

Hope you get it working!

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:09 am

Hope you get it working!
Hope so..!! Well...lets see :)

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Hope you get it working!
Hope so..!! Well...lets see :)
Hello jspool! I am afraid to say that after fully updating Window 7 and connecting and testing with Winbox again on this updated Window 7 laptop still can't detect the connected Groove in neighbors window. While detected easily on Windows XP after just connecting the Groove. All other router boards are detecting on this new Windows 7 laptop before and after updating, but not this one Groove only. While on Windows XP everyone gets detected easily in Winbox including this Groove. If Groove would have faulty and/or any other problem it must not even be detected and login with Windows XP, This is really strange issue with Mikrotik router board problem i came across first time and still looking the the solution and reason, why this is happening so and where is the problem and how to fix it. Thanks.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Out of interest if you give your Windows 7 machine a static IP (192.168.88.2/24) can you log into or ping the groove?
Steve "Steveocee" Carter
PC Gamer, Airsofter, MikroTik Nerd
My Website - My MikroTik Tutorials

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Out of interest if you give your Windows 7 machine a static IP (192.168.88.2/24) can you log into or ping the groove?
Hello Steveocee! Thanks for your support. Please refer to an attached screenshots of my connected Groove, But afraid to say still no detection in Winbox and can't login and ping the Groove.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jspool

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Can this new Windows 7 computer detect any other Routerboards?

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Can this new Windows 7 computer detect any other Routerboards?
Yes jspool! It detects all other connected RBs, but not this one only what am i mentioning here with the problem and when connect with the Windows XP it detected with all the other RBs and gets login easily? Very strange issue after going through all the Windows 7 setting as per required configuration and got confused whether Grrove faulty or Windows 7 is not detecting with some missing setting. But logically and technical point of view i am not agreed that Groove is faulty otherwise it won't be detected and logged in in Windows XP. Thanks.

jspool

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:15 pm

So discovery is messed up but if you are on the same network and enter the IP address of the Routerboard in Winbox can you log into it?

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:54 pm

So discovery is messed up but if you are on the same network and enter the IP address of the Routerboard in Winbox can you log into it?
Yes! i'm on the same network 192.168.88.0/24 and directly connected the Groove with Window 7 laptop having IP: 192.168.88.1 and for Laptop LAN IP: 192.168.88.2, still not accessing the Groove. Please refer to the screenshot. Thanks for keep supporting.

jspool

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 am

Have you tried connecting with an Ethernet switch between the computer and the Groove?

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:33 am

Have you tried connecting with an Ethernet switch between the computer and the Groove?
Hello jspool! I am not using any switch I'm directly connecting Groove and computer LAN interface with Groove IP: 192.168.88.1 and computer IP: 192.168.88.2. Even still not detecting in Winbox. Really strange Mikrotik router board issue. Thanks for keep supporting.

jspool

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:36 am

Can you try with a switch? Maybe try connecting from another computer running W7 to see if they connect fine.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:11 am

Can you try with a switch? Maybe try connecting from another computer running W7 to see if they connect fine.
Okay...!! Let me check and let you know. Thanks.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:20 am

Okay...!! Let me check and let you know. Thanks.
Hello jspool! tried to connect from another Windows 7 PC using a switch, but still not detecting at all... :(

dadaniel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am

Hello jspool! tried to connect from another Windows 7 PC using a switch, but still not detecting at all... :(
It's a winbox bug, please see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=129034&start=450#p650627

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:42 pm

It's a winbox bug, please see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=129034&start=450#p650627
Hello dadaniel! Thanks for your support. okay! i got it, but i'm afraid to say that i have tried other lower versions of Winbox on windows 7 computer, even these versions also not detecting this Groove on window 7 computer and still detecting well on Windows XP with any Winbox versions. Thanks for keep supporting.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:50 pm

It's an issue with new ROS default configs & ROS versions shipped, and firmware...

I've probably installed over 200 RB750's over the last two months (and other RBs). All of them, I've had to use a specific ethernet port and/or wireless, upgrade ROS, reboot (twice, because after the first reboot discovery doesn't work AT ALL), upgrade firmware, reboot, and reset config before it would work.

There's something fundamentally flawed in the recent changes to the default configurations shipped with the hardware. I will give a kidney, to purchase devices without default configs. It's an enormous waist of time to go through all of this to get a working device, brand new out of the box.
Regards,
Chris

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:37 pm

It's an issue with new ROS default configs & ROS versions shipped, and firmware...

I've probably installed over 200 RB750's over the last two months (and other RBs). All of them, I've had to use a specific ethernet port and/or wireless, upgrade ROS, reboot (twice, because after the first reboot discovery doesn't work AT ALL), upgrade firmware, reboot, and reset config before it would work.

There's something fundamentally flawed in the recent changes to the default configurations shipped with the hardware. I will give a kidney, to purchase devices without default configs. It's an enormous waist of time to go through all of this to get a working device, brand new out of the box.
Hello savage! Thanks for your support. Okay! you might be right now i'm stuck and really very frustrating can't detect and access it on my window 7 computer after doing all the required settings as per access process. Could you please let me assist further how can now i access this Groove and downgrade to lower versions on my Widows 7 laptop? Also, still a doubt in my mind that then why its being detected in Windows XP and not Window7? Thanks for keep supporting.

jspool

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Perhaps your could netinstall it without default config and see if that resolves it.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:06 am

Perhaps your could netinstall it without default config and see if that resolves it.
I have tried to netinstall it without default configuration setting through connecting this groove through windows xp, but not detecting this Groove in netinstall setup window as per netinstall procedure neither in windows 7 nor windows xp. Is there any way to access and remove the updtaed ROS and firmware and get this Groove back to factory default settings?Thanks.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:26 am

After doing lots of refreshing many times in Winbox i managed to see sometimes Groove rouerboard details in neighbor list and sometimes disappear on Windows7 system and tried to access through both MAC and IP address but unfortunately no luck to get connected and login to the Groove....:(

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:27 am

Please read this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93307&p=490402&hilit=Winbox#p490402
Maybe it put some light on your problems.
Real admins use real keyboards.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:02 am

Please read this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93307&p=490402&hilit=Winbox#p490402
Maybe it put some light on your problems.
Hello BartoszP! Thanks for your support. I have thoroughly gone through your post. You might be right, but i have no such complex setting issues with my computer. I have very simple straight forward, directly connected LAN connection with static IPs between my recently formatted Windows 7 PC and Groove. No any extra virtual interfaces, e.g. VMWare programs at all. Please review my problem from the start. Thanks.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:05 am

Network set to "private", "firewall switched-off ... but ... have you any third-party antivirus installed which "spies" network traffic? Any Internet-Security package which "messes" with firewall settings or takes over Windows' firewall?
Real admins use real keyboards.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:37 am

Network set to "private", "firewall switched-off ... but ... have you any third-party antivirus installed which "spies" network traffic? Any Internet-Security package which "messes" with firewall settings or takes over Windows' firewall?
BartoszP! Thanks for keep supporting. Please refer to the attachments for the Windows7 system and security settings still no detection of router board in Winbox. If you found something needs to be done with the settings please let me know.Thanks.