Community discussions

MikroTik App

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

winbox x64 version, please???

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:19 am

Has anyone ever heard of Mikrotik referencing a possible x64 native version of winbox?

I only run winbox in Linux, and a very specific distro I'm using right now does not have wine32 support (only wine x64). As such, I cannot fulfill the dependencies required to run winbox.

x64 Windows has been around now since Windows XP Professional x64 Edition in 2005, and I'm doubtful Microsoft even makes a 32-bit version anymore.

I think 13 years is enough time to safely conclude x64 will stick around... ;-)

HzMeister
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: winbox x64 version, please???

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:52 am

what linux distro are you running?

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:24 am

Yeah - pls make Winbox cross plattform. or at least 64bit

null31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Did you tried to change the wine arch?
WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
Delete your wine profile and run the command above. After that your wine profile will be x86 and not more x86_64.
I don't have problems with Winbox under wine-3.5 x86_64 using winearch=win32.

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:45 pm

In my humble opinion i‘d expect a company the size of Mikrotik to deploy their management tools x-plattform. There are way smaller companies that don‘t forget about their apple and linux community.

As administrators we are on call 24/7 and on the road most of the time. There should clearly be official version of Winbox for iOS and Android. We are in the year 2018 after all.

HzMeister
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:32 pm

In my humble opinion i‘d expect a company the size of Mikrotik to deploy their management tools x-plattform. There are way smaller companies that don‘t forget about their apple and linux community.

As administrators we are on call 24/7 and on the road most of the time. There should clearly be official version of Winbox for iOS and Android. We are in the year 2018 after all.
Those other small companies apps barely function and mainly exist as marketing tools(not to mention they don't have anywhere near the features/functionality). Besides, if there's an urgent issue that needs attention it's not like anyone would use an app anyway...

Thankfully mikrotik doesn't mess with that nonsense and gives/supports the tools you actually need. I've used winbox remotely dozens of times without issue and can't imagine anyone else not being able to figure out a way to do it either.

But I get where you're coming from, so if they were to revamp their config tool, making a super high quality universal web based one would be the way to go.

haik01

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:17 am

What is the pint (of gain) to have a 64 bit version of WinBox? For a program of 384 kB? 64 bit version?

I do not see the point of developing it.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:44 pm

If it ain’t broke......

Why waste developers time on reproducing an already fine program to suit a cosmetic agenda when they can be doing important things like multi core, v7, useful features?

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:44 pm

But I get where you're coming from, so if they were to revamp their config tool, making a super high quality universal web based one would be the way to go.
I‘d like to see a good webfig. But as long as it can‘t even copy entries it is no up to bar with Winbox. I tend to use SSH most of the time but still need Winbox for: Configuration without an IP and configuring neighbours via mac telnet.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:03 am

I‘d like to see a good webfig. But as long as it can‘t even copy entries it is no up to bar with Winbox. I tend to use SSH most of the time but still need Winbox for: Configuration without an IP and configuring neighbours via mac telnet.
That’s why I always have a cheap device on me. Plug it in and use neighbours and Mac telnet.