Community discussions

SpartanX
just joined
Topic Author

Always have to power cycle after updating RouterOS

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:50 pm

I've had this every time I have updated the RouterOS on my 850Gx2, and it's really making me nervous about doing updates.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong, or missing?

Last time was when I got the advisory email about the botnet two weeks ago. I opened the web page for my router and clicked the 'check for updates' button. The router found the update, and got on with the process. Fifteen minutes later I still could not reconnect to the internet or to my router. I had to get the ladders out, and get up into the roof space to power cycle the router, hoping that would not brick it. Fortunately it didn't.

I've had to do that before, and also, twice, have had the router seem to come back online OK, but: It was dropping packets. The first time that happened I thought there was another cause (I was using a new service) but investigation tracked the start of the loss to when I recalled updating the firmware. Again, a power cycle was needed to stop the issue as I had already remotely rebooted it several times during troubleshooting.

The router performs flawlessly except immediately following an update.

Any advice?

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Always have to power cycle after updating RouterOS

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Have you been updating the firmware as well as the software? System, Routerboard, Upgrade

May or may not be related, but worth a shot. iirc, some firmware updates include bootloader updates, too.

Or it could be the flash NAND wearing out. Are you writing logs to the (internal) flash?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SpartanX
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm

No, I haven't updated the firmware, but I was wondering about that myself. I've never seen anything relevant in the updates to my 850Gx2 so never bothered. Interestingly, the router tells me that the 'upgrade firmware' is 6.41.3 - that's the RouterOS version... something's got mixed up there I think.

I'm not logging to flash (just checked that too) and never have. All is set to memory.

Back to firmware: If I wasn't having this issue, I would just update it but I'm wary of doing so in case things get worse. Thought I would ask here first :)

This is what the 'system/routerboard' page on webfig shows:
ros1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Yes, that's expected. The firmware version now matches the ROS version. That change was in 6.41 iirc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Thats a good change imho