Community discussions

MikroTik App

Diganet
Topic Author

Bad performance on new line

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:56 am

Hi,

Just got me a new 100Mbit fiber which is connected to a PC running RouterOS. We are having some performance issues that our telco claims is caused by our firewall. In general we have less than 10% CPU load on the firewall so this is not the issue. Telco claims that the TCP recieve window of the NAT engine is too low to really use the potential of the line. Now i wonder where to set the TCP recieve window? This can be done easily on Win/Linux..

Anyone?

/Henrik

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:53 pm

That is a host configuration issue, not a nat issue. This can only be dealt with on host end. Their answer usually indicates that you or they have a very high latency link and therefore it is difficult to fully utilize it. Windows2000 and WindowsXP default configuration is configured to utilize about 2mbit (small window), primarily to avoid congestion on slower links (remember xp is old).

But what kind of hardware/configuration do you have for the firewall? What kind of latency do you have on your network?
Move along. Nothing to see here.

Diganet
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:45 pm

But what kind of hardware/configuration do you have for the firewall? What kind of latency do you have on your network?
It's a 2Ghz P4 with 3 x RB44 (12 ports) running RouterOS 3Beta5. 256MB Ram. 3 ports active, 1 is WAN uplink, 1 holds a C Class public IPs and the last is the Natted interface. When running tests against telcos FTP server i get a max of 20Mbit up and 40Mbit down, even with several hosts (all tweaked with max TCP win size). Round trip average is around 4ms. I dont have any other sites or ways to test against, but telcos is on the same fiber ring.

/Henrik

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:23 am

Oh, "beta", heh, then you're on your own.

Diganet
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:46 am

Oh, "beta", heh, then you're on your own.
Chicken 8) No just kidding, i have made really good routing/natting tests with Beta5 on local ethernet without any issues so i dont believe that performance or setup is the problem, i am however a little bit suspicious of the telcos fiber..

/Henrik

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:11 pm

That would be my guess too. As an insider tip: "Too small tcp window" is a standard excuse. :wink:

e2346437
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:28 pm

It's a 2Ghz P4 with 3 x RB44 (12 ports) running RouterOS 3Beta5. 256MB Ram. 3 ports active, 1 is WAN uplink, 1 holds a C Class public IPs and the last is the Natted interface. When running tests against telcos FTP server i get a max of 20Mbit up and 40Mbit down, even with several hosts (all tweaked with max TCP win size). Round trip average is around 4ms. I dont have any other sites or ways to test against, but telcos is on the same fiber ring.

/Henrik
What brand and model of motherboard are you running this on? Most motherboards have problems running 3 x RB44, and I want to build one so I'm curious.