Community discussions

MikroTik App

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Odd Casting Issue

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:15 pm

So we have an issue that is not directly caused by a Mikrotik, but I think we can use the Mikrotik at the gateway to solve the issue.

We have a customer that has about 50 sites connected via VPN and all are routed with OSPF. This customer recently added a couple new TVs in their executive conference rooms, named Main Conf and Secondary Conf. Both TVs are Vizio Smart TVs. Even though they are not yet using it, we enabled casting in case they ever want to use it. Apparently one of their other locations also has a Vizio TV with casting enabled and their TV named Main Conf. The other site tried casting and it popped up on the executive room TV.

We need to figure out how to stop two smart TVs from broadcasting their casting over the VPNs. I really don’t want to block the TV IPs out the VPN because that is like 50 interfaces to managed in a rule. Then as we add we have to remember to add a new site. I thought about blocking the specific ports but I think some of the ports are common ports and I am not sure that Chromecast and Miracast all use the same ports.

Renaming the TVs isn't the best solution because it still leaves the TVs as available to cast to across many users. Not great!

Thoughts on blocking this from the VPNs?

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Odd Casting Issue

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Anyone?